Thai language

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just started to learn thai formally with a thai language teacher. For the past 6 years i have just been learning on my own . I was supprised when my thai teacher explained to me that i am allready at the advanced level ,its going well so far .

• 7 months later...

Never bothered to learn a word of Thai. I don't care about the people and culture, I enjoy the goodies the country offers and pay Thais for them. It's just business. My Gf of three years has been learning English for this time, but still speaks in bloopers. 'Close fan, where you go, what you do." Just today I reproved her for 'what you do' again; 'honey, what you do' is wrong. She replied 'I mean what you do doing'. It's pointless. The language doesn't matter, brains do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Behind The Smile

The first step to being able to speak or even understand any language is to be able to hear the gaps between the words.

This takes a lot of listening and knowledge of some vocabulary.

In the beginning, it is usually easier to hear the gaps when listening to men speak, almost impossible when listening to a group of women talking.

• 5 months later...

i wish i wasnt that ignorant for the thai language during my first visits to thailand. but my thai is getting better and better and since i have found a good private tutor i even enjoying learning it and i can see a good progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree a lot of less educated girls can barely understand each other. A girl now 44 probably had minimal schooling. I see girls get on well with some guys and not others, i cringe when I hear some chaps in bars talking whether Thai or English. Its 50% in your attitude and 50% in her mood.

I can barely get past but the girls are sure I speak more than I can so they chatter on but its all inconsequential stuff so the "yes dear' responses are best.

Whats 'yes dear' in Thai? chai .....chai.... chai.....chai..........chorb......chai...chai

advice to someone learning is slow fast Give the impression you are slow until fluent enough to go fast, it makes for a more peaceful life.

• 3 months later...

In 2005, I took a year off and studied at Chulalongkarn University in Bankgok.

Studied Thai language, culture, and history and can speak, read, and write Thai.

I hope to someday take the P-6 exam, the Thai language test every Thai person takes at the seventh grade level.  Foreigners are allowed to take this exam and if they pass, they get a certificate which demonstrates adequate language proficiency to work in Thai companies, government, etc.

My Thai proficiency is certainly to a point where my Thai is better than most Thai's English, which I would say is the turning point when the language works to your advantage.  It's a huge plus when meeting a girl who speaks zero English because any fears they have are eased.  When I travel to Issaan for provincial volleyball tournaments, no one speaks English.

Also, I hope to, in the near future, complete the Intensive Thai Language program at Chulalongkarn.

------------------

Edit:

I just noticed this poll and thread started five years ago and no one has replied in a few months.  This post though showed up in my RSS feed though.

BigBangkokTheory

ruay, that is exactly what I would like to do someday, take thai for a year at a serious school.  I would love to hear your story in a thread or PM, as much as you would care to share.  thanks

ruay, that is exactly what I would like to do someday, take thai for a year at a serious school.  I would love to hear your story in a thread or PM, as much as you would care to share.  thanks

BBT,

Sure.  I'm about to leave for Thailand and the Philippines in 36 hours and I'll be staying there for 1 month.  If you're in Pattaya anytime during May, feel free to let me know.  I'm happy to start a thread sharing my experiences, perhaps when I return, and I will let you know.

BBT,

Sure.  I'm about to leave for Thailand and the Philippines in 36 hours and I'll be staying there for 1 month.  If you're in Pattaya anytime during May, feel free to let me know.  I'm happy to start a thread sharing my experiences, perhaps when I return, and I will let you know.

Have a great time out there Ruay

• 4 weeks later...

Ruay I would also be interested to hear your story in a thread, hope to see it up soon!

In 2005, I took a year off and studied at Chulalongkarn University in Bankgok.

Studied Thai language, culture, and history and can speak, read, and write Thai.

I hope to someday take the P-6 exam, the Thai language test every Thai person takes at the seventh grade level.  Foreigners are allowed to take this exam and if they pass, they get a certificate which demonstrates adequate language proficiency to work in Thai companies, government, etc.

My Thai proficiency is certainly to a point where my Thai is better than most Thai's English, which I would say is the turning point when the language works to your advantage.  It's a huge plus when meeting a girl who speaks zero English because any fears they have are eased.  When I travel to Issaan for provincial volleyball tournaments, no one speaks English.

Also, I hope to, in the near future, complete the Intensive Thai Language program at Chulalongkarn.

------------------

Edit:

I just noticed this poll and thread started five years ago and no one has replied in a few months.  This post though showed up in my RSS feed though.

I would love to clarify some English...

Sorry I am not American,

What is seventh grade? How old is that? What ability would that be?

What is a P-6?

I speak every day in Thai, plus read and write, I am just not as clued up as you with regards to grades and P's.

(By the way, what does Ruay mean in English?)

What is seventh grade? How old is that? What ability would that be?

What is a P-6?

I speak every day in Thai, plus read and write, I am just not as clued up as you with regards to grades and P's.

(By the way, what does Ruay mean in English?)

Seventh Grade - A grade level considered "middle school"

Generally, 

Pre-school:

Nursery - toddlers, three- and four-year olds

Kindergarten - five-year olds

Elementary school:

First Grade - six-year olds

Second Grade - seven-year olds 

Third Grade - eight-year olds

Fourth Grade - nine-year olds

Fifth Grade -  ten-year olds

Middle School:

Sixth Grade - 11-12 year olds

Seventh Grade - 12-13 year olds

Eighth Grade - 

Note - Generally in Thailand, up to Seventh Grade is within the public schooling system provided by the government for free.  Many poor people in Thailand do not have education beyond the seventh grade for this reason as they don't have the money to continue schooling.

High School - 

Ninth Grade (or first year of high school)

Tenth Grade (or second year of high school)

11th Grade (or third year of high school)

12th Grade (or fourth year of high school)

College or University if a High School graduate

----------------------------

The P-6 is a Thai-language proficiency exam taken by all Thais when they complete the 7th grade to access their Thai language educational skills.  Generally, those who read and write more tend to score higher due to the complexities of spelling and special final consonants.

Ruay:

Some screenshots from my Lexitron Thai Dictionary App:

6gJoY9D.png

rAwej28.png

qZb0vOR.png

Rich vs. wealth, even in English, are not always the same meaning.  Also, one can have wealth in certain ways without necessarily having a lot of money.

I use Ruay as a nickname because I wish to acquire wealth and live a stable and secure lifestyle.  ผมอยากเป็นคนรวยดี

ผมอยากมีความสุขสบายตลอดชีวิต - and I want happiness throughout life's entirety.

• 4 months later...

I have found there tends to a wide interpretation of fluency, especially when it comes to Thai.  I would consider someone fluent who could read a newspaper, conduct a business meeting and write a business report with little or no errors.  The number of foreigners who would fit this description is likely very small, mainly expats who have studied formally at the major universities for several years or worked in remote rural areas for aid organizations such as the Peace Corp.  Reading and writing is especially difficult given the frequency of spellings in Thai that are exceptions to the rule.

Learning enough Thai to carry on a basic conversation, read street signs/restaurant menus, etc. is acheivable with self study material and good self dicipline to practice when the opportunities arise.  For those of you have started to get comfortable with the basics, a good book to have is "Thai Reference Grammar" by James Higbie and Snea Thinsan which is sold at all the English language book shops in Thailand and is also available through websites such as Amazon.  It provides lots of examples of how different English sentence structures and grammar translate into Thailand; very useful when you know the vocabulary but need to know how to structure the sentence to get your point across.

Good luck to anyone starting the process to learn the language...it is a rewarding but frustrating process.

I have found there tends to a wide interpretation of fluency, especially when it comes to Thai.  I would consider someone fluent who could read a newspaper, conduct a business meeting and write a business report with little or no errors.  The number of foreigners who would fit this description is likely very small, mainly expats who have studied formally at the major universities for several years or worked in remote rural areas for aid organizations such as the Peace Corp.  Reading and writing is especially difficult given the frequency of spellings in Thai that are exceptions to the rule.

Yeah, I've met guys who claimed to be fluent, and as soon as I heard their Bar Thai I dismissed their claims.

I wish I had done that. I'm now being faced with having to take a foreign language in University, and they won't accept my fluency in Thai w/o some sort of certification. I cannot find a person to proctor a Thai test for me.

• 2 years later...

I wish I had done that. I'm now being faced with having to take a foreign language in University, and they won't accept my fluency in Thai w/o some sort of certification. I cannot find a person to proctor a Thai test for me.

I know what Berlitz in the US will sometimes conduct proficiency testing for languages.  Met a guy who worked for a police department who received a special language pay for Lao but had to get tested at Berlitz since there was no one at the local uni who could conduct the test.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm fluent, baby  :GoldenSmile1:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

For my opinion, the best and fast way to speak thai fluent is spending lot of time with thai people then you would learn thai quick smile.png

Archived