Thai language

BigBangkokTheory

This poll seems obvious but I could not find one like it. If it's a dupe, mods feel free to delete it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arai nah?

mai khow jai

somewhere between the middle one and the one below

should know more

I've been lazy cause the girl I spend a lot of time with has very good engrish

Yeah it depends on the girl im with; in bkk my favourite is fluent in english so i hardly ever need to speak thai.

But my other favourite is not a working girl and speaks fuck all english so i learn a little bit of thai from her as its pretty essential.....lol

Can interact on a functional level. Went to school last year for a month to learn to read, it really helps in learning the language.

My advice is: after you learn the basics - learn to read.

My Thai is fluent now (first studied in the 1980s). I can read it to a reasonable level (magazine articles) and write short notes in Thai script (I really should practice the script more as I haven't really practiced it for years).

I love speaking Thai, it opens doors that non-Thai speakers don't even know are there. Well worth learning if you intend to spend a lot of time there.

ExTW and the the TGFs I had and have don't like farangs speak thai. I know many single words, some phrases but I understand enough - especially if they speak about me. :P

To dam hard to get the tones right.

I can write some and read some, but speak it I am useless, aprt from town and street names.

HD

My Thai girlfriend nearly shits herself laughing when i try my very limited Thai , so now i just grunt in farrang

I am between level 2 and 3 (1 is fluent). Starts to be usefull when the girl is fresh from issaan, a real plus for "conversation" when her english level is very low. And I start to understand some stuff when thais speak between themselves.

My goal is not really to be fluent, but to be able to understand > 50% of conversations...At this level, I will pretend to be a complete noobs which can only say sawatdee krap :D and enjoy the show!

mai cow chai

mai kaow jai arai?

he he if it was my post that left u puzzled, the day I can speak thai enough to really understand thais speaking to each other, I will (at least for a time) pretend that I do not speak at all. Much better to hear conversation when everybody think you don't understand a word :-)

Thais becomes more careful though, many farangs speak at least a little of thai nowadays, at least for those visiting bars...and some speak almost like a native, lucky bastards...

BTW, it is true that BG do not like farangs who poot thai keng (speek thai well). A little bit is ok, but too much and they think they can not fool u anymore (for the bad girls) or that u are an hardcore buterfly (jochu mak mak) and/or pervert (lamok) (for the good girls).

Unfortunately, they are mostly right ;-)

mai kaow jai arai?

he he if it was my post that left u puzzled, the day I can speak thai enough to really understand thais speaking to each other, I will (at least for a time) pretend that I do not speak at all. Much better to hear conversation when everybody think you don't understand a word :-)

Thais becomes more careful though, many farangs speak at least a little of thai nowadays, at least for those visiting bars...and some speak almost like a native, lucky bastards...

BTW, it is true that BG do not like farangs who poot thai keng (speek thai well). A little bit is ok, but too much and they think they can not fool u anymore (for the bad girls) or that are an hardcore buterfly (jochu mak mak) and/or pervert (lamok) (for the good girls).

Unfortunately, they are mostly right ;-)

I have found that only the ones that want you to stay in the dark don't like you speaking Thai, and that lets me know the ones to avoid. The Farm fresh girls love it for sure . My experience has been that the BG's often let me into their "circle" it's amazing what they'll tell you once they trust you. I have often had bar owners telling me one thing while his staff are telling me what's really happening at the same time. I've learned to be diplomatic.

BigBangkokTheory
I have found that only the ones that want you to stay in the dark don't like you speaking Thai, and that lets me know the ones to avoid. The Farm fresh girls love it for sure . My experience has been that the BG's often let me into their "circle" it's amazing what they'll tell you once they trust you. I have often had bar owners telling me one thing while his staff are telling me what's really happening at the same time. I've learned to be diplomatic.

Dr. would love to see a thread on that topic...with some salacious examples of course

I suck at it so far, but I keep trying! Using the Pimsleur series...... on lesson 7 out of 30. Khrab!

i can speak a bit of it but as a friend said to me, when i was having trouble being understood, my aussie thai just doesn't sound quiet right lol

My Thai has picked up a fair bit in recent weeks, well my understanding as I trying to learn now. When I come back from work next time I am going to enroll myself into a Thai class for 4-6 weeks (depending on work) everyday to progress a bit. Once I am comfortable with my general Thai & being understood! I want to learn Laos/Isaan, to freak some of my naughty friends out ;)

poot thai nitnoi, and thats enough,when you speak verywell thai, thaigirls (the most)don't like it.

The ones who say that don't speak it very well in my experience

Don't have any major problems communicating but I would like to learn more,

any idea where to go and spruce up my conversation skills.

Don't have any major problems communicating but I would like to learn more,

any idea where to go and spruce up my conversation skills.

Anywhere where there are plenty of Thais. Personally I think it is better to do a bit of serious studying first, see it as the foundations upon which you will build your skills.

Once the foundations are there then just practice, practice, practice. it sounds like you have already studied for a while.

I speak fairly well and can converse with relativly well. I can speak a lot more than I can understand. Esaan howver I only know a few words. I find when you speak it prices drop

The tones are the hardest like "gly" = near and "gly" = far has a slightly extended pronounciation of the "Y". Ask a Thai person to say it and it's practically impossible to hear the difference.

Speaking Thai helps cut the cost of things as well I find. make a bit of general chit-chat and the drivers always lower the price.

Great fun pretending you can't speak it, and listening to what people say about you. A word to the wise though. I once got rumbled doing this and the parties involved were non to pleased.

The ones who say that don't speak it very well in my experience

Thats great info, I never knew that, I just thought it was the usual crap. i.e they know you know too much and you can listen

Archived