IGNORED

What is village life like?

kevin gilmour

I only have experience with one girls family, and they have also been nice to me. There has been nothing like the horror stories sometimes posted on the board.

I have gone several times during the past 1,5 years, and most people seem to know me now. No more shouting "farang farang" when I'm at the back of the motorbike, with my girlfriend. I have also tried to blend in, in the sense that if someone ask me to try something, I mostly do it.

I have eaten all kind of foods, played football/soccer with the kids, helped changing piston and cylinder on a motorbike, fixed some of their dodgy electrical installations, and even been on stage and dancing at the village festival. I never back down trying something new, and that goes a long way with thai people... It goes a long way with people everywhere, actually!

The only thing I have declined when asked, is going to the temple and have a chat with Buddha. They have come to fully respect this, after I had the girlfriend explain them why I don't want.

As said before - keep an open mind, but be observant of what is going on around you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many other falang friends that live in villages in Issan very happily with the Thai family.  I know of some that have had bad experiances and had to leave in a hurry but I also know of some falang that have caused the problems, so not always Thai people in the wrong.   Think that you hear about the bad experiances more because the good ones just get on with living the dream and don`t need to tell everyone about it. 

When the family go to a temple, I usually go with them but stay in the background as much as possible.  Can`t sit cross legged like they do but many times a monk will appear with a plastic chair for me and I am always treated very well.  Have been trying for years to understand all that goes on but guesss that I never will fully understand but its nice trying.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 2 months later...

Ive never tried it, but one of my friends love the villages life.

He is old and doesn't like night life

An older guy who's not into nightlife, wants the quiet life, happy just to be with his missis/family would certainly fit in better with the village life. Younger guys who enjoy WS/6 style life will go nuts.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I'm trying to get a feel for what village life is like in Buriram. The girl I've been with for sometime now lives in a village about half an hour from Buriram centre by bus, and she wants me to go and stay with her there, and I have no idea if it will be idyllic and lovely, or whether I will be bored shitless. Her family don't speak English, and I don't speak Thai, apart from the very basics. I could stay in Buriram centre, where I presume there's plenty to do, but anything I've seen on tv, or pictures on here, suggest that apart from basic housing, there is sod all else in the villages. 

Anyone got any thoughts, also is it easy for a farang to hire a car, I've never considered doing this in Thailand before, but I will if it's the best option.

Any views or thoughts greatly appreciated.   

Dude, go for it. It's a right of passage.

If your GF tells everyone in the village that you don't drink you'll save yourself the headache of drinking with all the local drunkards.

You can rent a car if you have an international DL, or a Thai one. A far cheaper option is to take a VIP bus to Buriram.

do it sony boy!be a culture vulture! every one is different some shit themselves if a bug flies past or faint at the sight of a snake, i lived smack bang in the village for 18 months and yes its bloody tough regarding scroungers and lack of privacy, so i built my pad 1 mile out on its own 2 rye plot RESULT they hate walking but i know where to find em when i need em and there the first to help, give it a whirl THEN you may wish to join the ranks of the whimps, as daddee pointed out  a canvas folding seat will ease any pain, buy 1 box of bear and no more and let your girl'y show off her catch :GoldenSmile1:  oh yes!

Archived