IGNORED

Avoid SFO if you can!

Daddee

San Francisco Runway work continues through the summer.

This summer, Runway construction at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will reduce the number of active runways available for flight operations. United® and other airlines that serve San Francisco have worked closely with the FAA and the airport authority to minimize disruptions related to this important project. 

Construction will begin in May and is estimated to be completed in September. During this period, you may find that there are fewer flights in our schedule, and there may be occasional construction-related delays. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

yes, when the visibility is below "X", they only use one Runway... my first trip to Thailand took 40 hours because I missed my connection in SFO... 

SFO is not the best place to be using on the way to anywhere...

:)

Dubai will also be subject to Delays and Push backs with some Flights dropped as of May ( which is Tomorrow ) as they work on the New Runway and schedule accordingly.

Sadly if we want to be in Thailand we have most of the Time  to endure Flying

yes, when the visibility is below "X", they only use one runway... my first trip to Thailand took 40 hours because I missed my connection in SFO... 

SFO is not the best place to be using on the way to anywhere...

:)

Have flown out of SFO to Asia many times without a problem.

PB#1

Have flown out of SFO to Asia many times without a problem.

PB#1

my first trip was a nightmare because of their only using one Runway when visibility gets down to X, I believe it's one mile... missed the last flight to Narita and had to spend the night in SFO, and the trip took about 40 hours total.

there are now going to be times where they are down to one Runway even in good weather... anyone who flies in or out of SFO will tell you, it can be a pain in the ass when this is the case.

bigger issue when you are changing planes there rather than starting from there of course... I fly out of Reno.

1 mile ? That's a rare morning or evening, June - August. It burns off around 11 and returns around 5. Then in the Winter we sometimes get the 'Tule Fog' from the Central Valley which is about 4Xs as thick. It's so thick in the Valley, you have to open your car door to make sure you're still on the road.

1 mile ? That's a rare morning or evening, June - August. It burns off around 11 and returns around 5. Then in the Winter we sometimes get the 'Tule Fog' from the Central Valley which is about 4Xs as thick. It's so thick in the Valley, you have to open your car door to make sure you're still on the road.

I dunno the exact limit, but the runways are so close together it is a lower limit than other airports.... whenever it shuts down to one Runway, it fucks everything up, especially if you are connecting there like I do, coming in from Reno...  cannot tell you how many times I have had to sit in the plane in Reno waiting for the ok to fly because of the backup in sfo...  pain in the ass!

used to live in Fresno, very familiar with the Tule fog, so thick they do low speed caravans on the freeways with cops leading the way...and they close it sometimes, it is amazing, eh?

If you have a flight departing around midnight as many of the asian flights typically do, then delays are very rare. If you fly with a US airline those flights usually leave around mid morning and would experience a lot more delays.

the flights with United and ANA out of SFO to Narita that I know of all leave by 1 or 2pm... coming from Reno, I usually take a 6am flight or an 8am one flight to SFO.  On more than one occasion, I have experienced delayed takeoffs in Reno because of backups in sfo due to one Runway only, previously because of weather, and coming soon because of construction...  my very first trip to Thailand, I missed my connection in SFO because my flight to SFO was delayed because of this one Runway thing.  took 40+ hours to get there...  fortunately I have a flexible job, and was able to reschedule my return and not lose a day of vacation.

not such a problem flying out of sfo if you are originating your flight there, but if you are coming in from somewhere else, it is a bit of a crapshoot.

"used to live in Fresno, very familiar with the Tule fog, so thick they do low speed caravans on the freeways with cops leading the way...and they close it sometimes, it is amazing, eh?".......  The only time I've seen anything like it was in New England when you got warm rain on top of ground snow and hit a low spot. Couldn't see the end of your hood.

Archived