IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

It's now looking increasing likely that this Premier & football league seasons will be declared null & void.

Of course this means Liverpool (no league title in 30 YEARS) & Leeds relegated & out of the  PL for 16 YEARS are set to miss out.

I'd just like to use this time to commiserate with both sets of supporters & reiterate that in no way do I or my fellow UTD fans take take any pleasure in their misfortune.

Jolly hard luck & Som num na, as the Thais would say.

Edited by Baxidar ba
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

By chance down at the local shops met a guy I used to work with (life long Everton fan) who told me the PL season suspended until end of April at the earliest. 

So he summarised that basically the season looks set to be declared null & void.

He was doing what I can only describe as a jig of delight at the thought of Liverpool missing out.

How awful to take pleasure in the misfortune of others I thought to myself after I'd finished my own mini jig (well couldn't leave him to dance alone).

2 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

By chance down at the local shops met a guy I used to work with (life long Everton fan) who told me the PL season suspended until end of April at the earliest. 

So he summarised that basically the season looks set to be declared null & void.

He was doing what I can only describe as a jig of delight at the thought of Liverpool missing out.

How awful to take pleasure in the misfortune of others I thought to myself after I'd finished my own mini jig (well couldn't leave him to dance alone).

They also said they are determined to finish the season so have extended the June 1 deadline.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 1 month later...

News coming out of a remote meeting held last night by European football chiefs.

If as expected the season is cancelled, 1 idea to decide league placing is a coefficient system.

The coefficient table used by FIFA is compiled using European performances over a rolling 5 year period.

So the top 4 would be 

Man City 112pts

Liverpool 99

Man Utd 92 

Arsenal 91

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable system to me, CL for us next season it is then.

Have to say slightly hard luck for the scousers though, missing out by just 3 points, I'm sure they'll be sporting & gentlemanly about it & take it  with their usual good grace.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

News coming out of a remote meeting held last night by European football chiefs.

If as expected the season is cancelled, 1 idea to decide league placing is a coefficient system.

The coefficient table used by FIFA is compiled using European performances over a rolling 5 year period.

So the top 4 would be 

Man City 112pts

Liverpool 99

Man Utd 92 

Arsenal 91

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable system to me, CL for us next season it is then.

Have to say slightly hard luck for the scousers though, missing out by just 3 points, I'm sure they'll be sporting & gentlemanly about it & take it  with their usual good grace.

Personally i believe the season will be completed behind closed doors with Liverpool crowned Premier League Champions and Manchester United finishing outside of the top four.  :D

What is more of a concern to Manchester United and fans is the top transfer targets will be looking at clubs IN the Champions League and so Manchester United will carry on being in the wilderness for a few more years. :P

1 minute ago, overseas516 said:

Personally i believe the season will be completed behind closed doors with Liverpool crowned Premier league Champions and Manchester United finishing outside of the top four.  :D

What is more of a concern to Manchester United and fans is the top transfer targets will be looking at clubs IN the Champions League and so Manchester United will carry on being in the wilderness for a few more years. :P

Are Liverpool planning an open top bus parade along completely deserted streets?  if the season is allowed to be completed.

6 minutes ago, overseas516 said:

Personally i believe the season will be completed behind closed doors with Liverpool crowned Premier league Champions and Manchester United finishing outside of the top four.  :D

24 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

So the top 4 would be 

Man City 112pts

Liverpool 99

Man Utd 92 

Arsenal 91

City are banned from Europe for 2 years so 5th place secures a Champions League place. A win-win for United.

5 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

Are Liverpool planning an open top bus parade along completely deserted streets?  if the season is allowed to be completed.

Please remember Liverpool only need two more wins only Baxidar ba to be crowned Premier League Champions. :D

No need for a parade and the 30 year wait has finally ended. :D

6 minutes ago, petemoss said:

City are banned from Europe for 2 years so 5th place secures a Champions League place. A win-win for United.

Only way to for Manchester United to get in the Champions League is through the back door rather than on merit. :P

28 minutes ago, overseas516 said:

Only way to for Manchester United to get in the Champions League is through the back door rather than on merit. :P

Nothing wrong with entering by the back door! 555

3 hours ago, overseas516 said:

Liverpool deserves to be Champions this year. Shame about the shitty way this season is ending for them though. :wink:

BUT:

Manchester United (last 5 games, with Bruno Fernandes) 3-0-2 

Chelsea last 5 games 2-1-2

Leicester City last 5 games 1-2-2

Also: Manchester United was 4-0-1 in non-league games with Bruno, carrying a 7-0-3 mark in their last 10 overall games.

If they DO finish the season behind closed doors, they'll have Rashford AND Pogba back healthy and ready to play, two players they didn't even have for that 7-0-3 run.

Manchester United will get CL, and they'll strengthen their team even more.

Look out next year Liverpool! :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eric Le Roi said:

Null and void the season now.

You know it makes sense.

You need to decide who qualifies for Champions/Europa leagues next season. I would let the league positions stand as they are. However, you could come up with a formula such as Duckworth Lewis in cricket to give final league positions. No one would understand it therefore no one could argue it.

On 23/04/2020 at 14:23, Baxidar ba said:

On a serious note, if football does get going again in some way thats something that will have to be taken into consideration, and not just for Liverpool. Teams up and down the country normally have big celebrations in their city or town when promotion is gained with lots of people in the streets etc, if restrictions are still in place celebrations up and down the country are going to be a bit of a damp squib.

8 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

On a serious note, if football does get going again in some way thats something that will have to be taken into consideration, and not just for Liverpool. Teams up and down the country normally have big celebrations in their city or town when promotion is gained with lots of people in the streets etc, if restrictions are still in place celebrations up and down the country are going to be a bit of a damp squib.

One way or another, you won't have to worry about Town having a parade.

5 hours ago, petemoss said:

You need to decide who qualifies for Champions/Europa leagues next season. I would let the league positions stand as they are. However, you could come up with a formula such as Duckworth Lewis in cricket to give final league positions. No one would understand it therefore no one could argue it.

Do you remember the “pools panel” from years ago? I don’t even know if they still have Football Pools but that’s an option, especially as it could be done “virtually” these days.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

10 minutes ago, whitespider said:

Do you remember the “pools panel” from years ago? I don’t even know if they still have Football Pools but that’s an option, especially as it could be done “virtually” these days.

It still exists. Current makeup, Ian Callagan, Tony Green and David Sadler.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

One way or another, you won't have to worry about Town having a parade.

That wasnt very nice petemoss........that wasnt very nice at all!:sad:

I`ll bide my time!:wink:

Edited by vimto66

• 2 months later...

If today's game was a prelude to next season then i like what I see.

Of course Martial gets the headlines but the front 3 looked like they could compliment each other well, the trio of Greenwood, Rashford & Martial suit the quick counter attacking style Ole is looking to implement.

If Pogba stays next season & is in the right frame of mind his partnership (with the so far excellent) Fernandes looks good.

In goal if De Gea continues his poor form Henderson (who I believe is a superior keeper to Pickford already & it's surely only a matter of time before he's England's no1) could be back to put real pressure on the Spaniard.

At the back I love Wan Bassika, Shaw looking pretty good but could come under real pressure from the fearless young  Brandon Williams.

Still think Lindelof is more of a squad player & whilst Tuanzebe looks promising I believe a Chris Smalling / Maguire partnership could be an option.

The squad could use 1 or 2 experienced additions but we've got some excellent young players.

One thing I did notice was  how happy the other players were for Martial tonight, there's been a definite lack of team spirit & togetherness since SAF left.

I love Ole of course whether he's a genuine world class coach able to compete with Klopp & Pep though is another matter.

I'd be pretty certain Pochettino's current lack of employment has been noted by the board & whilst Ole has improved the mood & got us on a decent run, i think that's going to have to continue until Pochettino finds alternative employment.

• Like 3

Excellent performance last night, albeit against a poor Sheffield United (they have done well so far but I fear they may have been found out at this level)

Bigger tests to come but it's looking much better.

MUFC ONE LOVE

DeGea hasn't been as great as he was for the last two years, but... since Burnley we've gone 13 games without a loss with only 3 goals given up (10 clean sheets), including 7 of those games being PL games. The sad part is in... that horrible Everton goal he gave up (we ended in a draw) and the disappointing Spurs goal he gave up (we ended in a draw) - if we win those games, we're just 1 point off Chelsea.

Totally agree about Lindeloff - forget Grealish for now (who I like) or another midfielder - we have Bruno, Pogba, and McTominay (still waiting to see that trio together for a full game) - let's plug in a big signing in Lindeloff's spot and watch that defense become a monster.

• Like 2

Very impressive all round V Brighton tonight.

£50 mil bid made for Sancho today, would love to see him in our team alongside Rashford & Greenwood.

I fear we are going to have to add at least another £30mil to that though if we are going to sign him. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Baxidar ba said:

£50 mil bid made for Sancho today, would love to see him in our team alongside Rashford & Greenwood.

I fear we are going to have to add at least another £30mil to that though if we are going to sign him. 

Despite the toll that this pandemic might have had on the coffers it would be better if Utd got Sancho in through the door & not dilly-dally on 10-20 mill here & there.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, none more so than Bruno F who could have been a Utd player right from the start of the season, if not for Woodward's inability to get the deal done then. 

Lest we forget, despite our improved showing lately, we are still 50 points behind Liverpool, that is a huge gap to bridge with just average signings.

• Like 1

................................................................................................................

1 hour ago, Baxidar ba said:

United have NOT bid 50M for Sancho, they are supposed to be willing to go up to 50m so a lot of wishful thinking on your part Baxidar ba :Oops1:

https://www.skysports.com/share/12018033