Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Current Minibus Service to Hat Lek/Koh Kong Border Crossing?

Ste86

I've searched both the forum and google but just found a myriad of conflicting and what seems to be out of date information. I have a really heavy bag and if possible I just want to get a minibus straight to the hat lek / koh kong crossing. 

Is there currently a minibus service to the border? If yes, where I can I book it?

If not, is there a minibus service to Trat? (and where can I book it?)

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help with this

You're looking in the wrong forum. IIWY, I might try Travelfish, Trip Advisor, Rough Guides, Lonely Planet, Thai Visa etc. Or just fucking Google it. I'll be doing the do in July, and I'll post a TR, but I doubt that will help you.

As far as I know the mini bus only goes to Trat. You can buy a ticket at anyone of the little booths on second road and they'll tell you it goes to Hadlek. You then get dropped at the bus station at Trat and can either get another minubus or hire a baht bus. When he drops you off at the bus stop at Trat, you can argue with the driver, politely, the you paid to go to Had lek (it should be on your ticket) and he can then buy you a ticket from his money to Had lek ... or just buy your own... This was in 2011, so things may have changed ?

The question gets asked in the Cambo section occasionally, so check there. Then the fun begins at the border :-)

Or just fucking Google it.

I did google it, hence why I wrote "I've searched both the forum and google." I'm booking tomorrow if it's possible. I'll post whatever I find out here. 

As far as I know the mini bus only goes to Trat. You can buy a ticket at anyone of the little booths on second road and they'll tell you it goes to Hadlek. You then get dropped at the bus station at Trat and can either get another minubus or hire a baht bus. When he drops you off at the bus stop at Trat, you can argue with the driver, politely, the you paid to go to Had lek (it should be on your ticket) and he can then buy you a ticket from his money to Had lek ... or just buy your own... This was in 2011, so things may have changed ? The question gets asked in the Cambo section occasionally, so check there. Then the fun begins at the border :-)

I'll check, thanks man. Even just a minibus to Trat will be a lot better than the sukhumvit bus.

Ended up booking a minibus at 'Smart Travel' directly across from Friendship supermarket on Pattaya South Road. Cost 800baht. Probably could get it cheaper by shopping around but I couldn't be arsed doing that.

Got picked up around 7.45, went via Rayong, which was pretty inconvenient, then swapped into a different minibus at Trat. The changeover was quick fortunately, we literally stopped, took our bags off, loaded them up again and then off we went. No arguments, and the ticket the first driver gave me when he picked me up stated Haad Lek in big bold letters.

Tried charging me 1500baht for a business visa at the border and I ending up paying $35 in USD (which I bought in advance in Thailand anticipating to be ripped off in Thai baht). Taxi from the border to Koh Kong was 400baht - cost me 200 sharing with another guy. Was settled in my guesthouse by 2pm. 

Guesthouses of note in Koh Kong are Dugout, Apex, and 99. I'll be staying at Dugout whenever I go back there.

I was pretty fortunate with my ride from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville - paid $12 but got a [literally] brand new AC minivan that had just arrived an hour before we left - and I got it all to myself for the entire trip(!). I was the first (and only) customer, and it's probably the nicest minibus I've ever been in. Took a little under 5 hours.

Thanks for the update. We had a 30min wait in Trat when we did it We got to the border and hired a private tax for $50 after haggling for ages, for the two of us. Stopped at the bus station at Sihanoukville and needed a Tuk Tuk from there but now I know where the fuck I am going I can direct him door to door, lived in Snooky for most of 2012, so I know my way around now. So no taxi into Koh Kong and no over night accommodation cost for us. We got into Snooky late though. Also had an e-visa the first time, fuck the border rip offs

Where do you get dropped off in Snooky with the mini bus, at the main bus station ?

Thanks for the TR. Like I said, I've got to get from Snook to Koh Chang in a couple months and there is just no good way. I've flown the last 5 or 6Xs which sucks too. Time to see if overland sucks as bad as it did the last XS I did it.

..... Also had an e-visa the first time, fuck the border rip offs

Where do you get dropped off in Snooky with the mini bus, at the main bus station ?

Sorry about the late reply.

Yeah I couldn't get a business visa online unfortunately, and I knew I wasn't getting away with paying $25. $35 I can stomach, but 1500baht is just a ridiculous piss take.

Not sure where I got dropped off to be honest, but it wasn't the bus station. I'm guessing it was the booking office for whatever company it was - begins with a V. I paid absolutely no attention and just got on a moto as soon as I got off.

Koh Kong is boring as hell. Thats my second time, but I prefer to break the trip up.

Thanks for the TR. Like I said, I've got to get from Snook to Koh Chang in a couple months and there is just no good way. I've flown the last 5 or 6Xs which sucks too. Time to see if overland sucks as bad as it did the last Xs I did it.

No worries, and yeah I definitely agree there is no good way. It was better than the last time I did the trip though, but I was going from Cambodia to Thailand that time.

Archived