IGNORED

An end to autofocus.

bobby1961

This technology will make our lives a hell of a lot easier.

Everything is in focus all the time so no more hunting in poor light, no more nearly shots.

Then in post set your perspective and focus point and voila.

It can also be used to do 3d images.

https://pictures.lytro.com/lytro/albums/149429/embed?token=6cb04136-c43a-11e3-9416-22000a8b14ce

Looks interesting , thanks . 

I signed up before they put on market and when it came time to buy they gave more info and it uses a different format for pictures.  I was confused about being able to convert them to jpeg images.  Not sure either if they can import to lightroom etc.

You'll probably need to capture an image of the Lytro image if you see what I mean. It takes photos in a completely different way to standard digital technology so wouldn't be jpeg compatible AND post focusable.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

This technology will make our lives a hell of a lot easier.

Everything is in focus all the time so no more hunting in poor light, no more nearly shots.

Then in post set your perspective and focus point and voila.

It can also be used to do 3d images.

https://pictures.lytro.com/lytro/albums/149429/embed?token=6cb04136-c43a-11e3-9416-22000a8b14ce

Lytro just came out with their 2nd gen cameras recently. The problem with their tech is that while multi direction light detection allows for post-capture selective focus and bokeh adjustment, as well as perspective shifting, the redirection of incoming light to the sensor only yields roughly 4-6 MP on their newer model. Only 1-3MP on their older model. Those are some relatively tiny pics, and for $1600 for the newer camera, the resolution just isn't acceptable yet. Also, HTC and Samsung have both "borrowed" the idea in their latest smartphones. They cheat a bit using software and multiple captures, but the end result is similar. Only major difference is that the Lytro will probably provide a better low light experience, but still, 4-6 MP means less flexibility for cropping and the possibility to see grain when printing, particularly if printing full page 8.5x11 or larger. 

Maybe I'm a stick in the mud but I don't like this technology at all :

-I imagine you'll be limited to whatever lens is on the camera, and I doubt it will be a high quality wide aperture prime. Even if they bring out an interchangeable one it will be decades before it's as complete as Leica, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc. Plus you'll lose out on all the lovely legacy glass.

-I've got no interest in re-focusing images after the fact. I know what I want to focus on and focus on it.

-Using the OM-D, especially with the Nokton, I get a lovely actual preview of the bokeh and focal point. This means I can get the image I want.

-Similar to the above point say you're taking a portrait, one of the first things to do (assuming outside) is to make sure you have a great background bokeh by focusing the lens roughly where your subject will be standing and hunting around. Can't see this working with one of these cameras.

Maybe I'm a stick in the mud but I don't like this technology at all :

-I imagine you'll be limited to whatever lens is on the camera, and I doubt it will be a high quality wide aperture prime. Even if they bring out an interchangeable one it will be decades before it's as complete as Leica, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc. Plus you'll lose out on all the lovely legacy glass.

-I've got no interest in re-focusing images after the fact. I know what I want to focus on and focus on it.

-Using the OM-D, especially with the Nokton, I get a lovely actual preview of the bokeh and focal point. This means I can get the image I want.

-Similar to the above point say you're taking a portrait, one of the first things to do (assuming outside) is to make sure you have a great background bokeh by focusing the lens roughly where your subject will be standing and hunting around. Can't see this working with one of these cameras.

The newest one is f/2.0 throughout the zoom range. Don't recall the zoom range off hand, but part of the tech also allows for fewer lens elements too, which is a plus. On a pro-prosumer level, I think it is cheating a bit and taking some of the art and challenge out of photography. Being able to pic your focus intent after the fact is like photoshopping bokeh into a picture. For consumer point and shoots, this might end up being a god send to all of those who struggle to get the pictures they want. Basically, I can see why this type of camera would appeal to some, but there's no way I would personally drop $1600 on this over a standard DSLR body.

The newest one is f/2.0 throughout the zoom range. Don't recall the zoom range off hand, but part of the tech also allows for fewer lens elements too, which is a plus. On a pro-prosumer level, I think it is cheating a bit and taking some of the art and challenge out of photography. Being able to pic your focus intent after the fact is like photoshopping bokeh into a picture. For consumer point and shoots, this might end up being a god send to all of those who struggle to get the pictures they want. Basically, I can see why this type of camera would appeal to some, but there's no way I would personally drop $1600 on this over a standard DSLR body.

You might have a point there. Not sure about the sensor size (to get a rough idea of what f2.0 DoF would be on Full Frame) however if this tech can make point and shoot (i.e. pocket) sized cameras with the bokeh shown in your link I might be interested in what the produce :).

• 3 weeks later...

I got another one of their mailing list emails today.  In the QA section they state the camera is basically for electronic media only, so posting online is the major use for the images.  If anyone wants to print a picture it is equivalent to a 4mp image and only able to be printed up to 8"x10" size.

It seems like it needs more improvement before the revolution comes.

Archived