IGNORED

Why the Low Life Expectancy in Thailand?

Halibed

Certainly there are countries worse than Thailand, but with an average life expectancy of 75 years, I'm surprised that Thailand lags so far behind other Eastern nations  like Japan, Singapore, and South Korea.

All of those other nations are much wealthier, but I've heard Thailand has relatively good medical care. unless that additional wealth is contributing in some other way,  I have to wonder what's truly reducing Thai lifespans. 

Even the US, with its poor diet and high obesity rate, has an average life expectancy of 80 years.

Anyone care to speculate on why the Thais do so much worse?

For Thais, there is good medical care if you can afford it. Free or very cheap medical care if you can't.

I've heard the free isn't that great and the hospital rooms are large rooms with several beds and patients. That can't be good.

Young people dying from road accidents (the rate here is incredibly high) probably brings down average life expectancy age.

Alcoholism among Thai males is not uncommon.

Those are a few things I can think of.

Long working hours , hardship living .

I think 75 is still high for a third world country . 

I think 75 is still high for a third world country . 

It seems strange to talk of Thailand being a third world country,although you are correct! Its got lots of big modern malls,office blocks,hotels comparable to most places and a reasonable infastructure.But next to all this there are still dirt poor people barely living an existence,its a real country of contrasts but like lots of countries in Asia those contrasts can be extreme.

It seems strange to talk of Thailand being a third world country,although you are correct! Its got lots of big modern malls,office blocks,hotels comparable to most places and a reasonable infastructure.But next to all this there are still dirt poor people barely living an existence,its a real country of contrasts but like lots of countries in Asia those contrasts can be extreme.

Agreed with you 100%, Bangkok city is 100 times more modern than Dublin,

Agreed with you 100%, Bangkok city is 100 times more modern than Dublin,

:LOL2: never been to Dublin so cant compare.

Bad air quality , lot of pollution from the diesel cars . 

75 is not a low average life expectancy by any means. Im gonna take an educated guess and say it beats the population on this forum ;)

• 2 weeks later...

There are many factors in this 75 year average.   In the rural areas there are poor living conditions although they are getting better in recent years.  Sanitation is lacking in many villages with open sewers not uncommon.  Complete lack of hand washing by most of the population even when handling food.  Atrocious driving standards and the highest death rate on the roads, especially with young people.  Health care is good in private hospitals but not so good in the government hospitals.  There are wards so full of beds that it is almost impossible to get between the beds in some cases and beds in corridors not uncommon.  Working very long hours in the heat at times and then the alcohol problems.  Many people use drugs which affects their health and also ability to work or live normally.  Contaminated water supplies were a serious problem but bottled water is becoming easier to get in cheaper large bottles.  In the towns and cities there is the pollution from the vehicles etc made worse by the lack of maintainance of many vehicles.  Health and safety regulations are conspicious by their absense in most of the country.  Electric supply is often comprimised and often connected by amateurs who know little about it.   This is just what came into my mind, think there will be many more reasons.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Life Expectancy in Germany was<br />male<br />2007: 77 yr 2 mths<br />2010: 77 yr 4 mths<br /><br />female<br />2007: 82 yr 5 mths<br />2010: 82 yr 6 mths<br /><br />Is Thailand really low in comparison to Germany ?<br /><br />For a child born in 2007 the LE is<br /><br />in South Africa : 40-44yrs<br />in Ivory Coast : 55-59yrs<br />in Russia : 60-64yrs<br /><br />is the LE really low in Thailand compared to this ?<br />

• 1 year later...

Reckless living, smoking and drinking but maybe the most amazing thing is the practice of riding motorcycles without helmets, I personally know 3 people who have died there just from that practice and the cold weather seems bad for them too

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

75 is not low for developing country. Thailand is considered as developing country, compare it to its neighbour in the same Southeast Asia region, it is so much better. It's average, the city, the rural area, the rich, the poor.

I don't really think 75 is that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say low railings on the balconies, but that's a farang thing.

Gaee lao. mai law doi. Mai ben rai, mee daang!

Thai people have a hard life................

Because, There are no Corporate Vultures aka Medical Mafia like in America, that parasites you into bankruptcy.  :hello09:

You are made to be barely alive in the developed countries so that they can put you on drugs in elderly care homes and you die slowly, paying for their over prized drugs. 

The MOST important Equation Created By Yours Truly. The First True ANALYSIS of LIVING LIFE KING SIZE is the NUMBER OF TRIPS YOU MAKE INTO HOSPITAL.  :Think1:

A Thai has less number of visits on average in his life time to a hospital than first world countries PLUS he dies surrounded by his loved ones not in elderly care homes.

Even by spending billions on drugs, A first world guy barely extends his life by 5 to 10  years that too in misery, pain  & debt, while a Thai spends his life in QUALITY OVER QUANTITY for 75 years.

Its not the LIFE Expectancy a flawed statistics created by Big Drugs Mafia Its the NUMBER OF TRIPS TO A HOSPITAL that matters.

You should accept 50 years of HEALTHY LIFE than 90 Years of Life on Drugs.

:Finger5: If life expectancy was the only equation in town. Farangs wouldn't do Visa Runs  :Finger5:

• 3 months later...

With little or no access to healtcare , many of them in rural locations

the cost of mediacal is also keeping citizens from getting proper treatment or any treatment at all

Rising private healthcare costs and a lack of quality that's usual in every developing countries

• 11 months later...

Healthcare in Thailand can't compare to western medicine. This is true across many SE Asian countries. When poverty is at a level where you are not sure if you will eat lunch or dinner, healthcare becomes a lesser priority. And vices like alcohol and tobacco play a role in the health of many rural people, just like it does in the US or other western countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree that the life expectancy is low. 75 years is quite ok. Still, there is potential.

The way ahead is not about more western medicine, as is often believed. It is about public health.

Porque la vida es sueño, y los sueños sueños son

On 5/9/2014 at 9:25 PM, udontony said:

There are many factors in this 75 year average.   In the rural areas there are poor living conditions although they are getting better in recent years.  Sanitation is lacking in many villages with open sewers not uncommon.  Complete lack of hand washing by most of the population even when handling food.  Atrocious driving standards and the highest death rate on the roads, especially with young people.  Health care is good in private hospitals but not so good in the government hospitals.  There are wards so full of beds that it is almost impossible to get between the beds in some cases and beds in corridors not uncommon.  Working very long hours in the heat at times and then the alcohol problems.  Many people use drugs which affects their health and also ability to work or live normally.  Contaminated water supplies were a serious problem but bottled water is becoming easier to get in cheaper large bottles.  In the towns and cities there is the pollution from the vehicles etc made worse by the lack of maintainance of many vehicles.  Health and safety regulations are conspicious by their absense in most of the country.  Electric supply is often comprimised and often connected by amateurs who know little about it.   This is just what came into my mind, think there will be many more reasons.

Don't think you've left too much out. 

According to the World Health Organization's published figures in 2015, Thai females average a life span of 78.0 years and Thai males average 71.9. Violence, drinking and smoking may  play a role in the difference between Thai males and females. IMO

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

5 hours ago, likeaking said:

Don't think you've left too much out. 

According to the World Health Organization's published figures in 2015, Thai females average a life span of 78.0 years and Thai males average 71.9. Violence, drinking and smoking may  play a role in the difference between Thai males and females. IMO

Know quite a few bargirls that are bringing the female average down ... :)

• 1 month later...

So the OP considers 75 low life expectancy?!?  My mom passed away at 77 and she lived her entire life in the USA. 

My TG's grandfather passed away at the age of 80 and he lived in some backwater Issan village surrounded by rice fields, frogs and dirt roads, spent his last days in a Issan hospital that looked liked something out of a Korean war rear echelon hospital. 

Archived