Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tequila Reef - damn fine Mexican..

Woofiee

So I've got lame-ass "friends" who live down here, and I fly all the way down here from The Netherlands to hang out, but they've all gone quiet.

No matter -- it's Taco Tuesday at Tequila Reef.

First off, TQ (herein..) has fantastic frozen margaritas - I've only gotten myself through 1.5 if them and I'm sporting quite the buzz.

yse9ave7.jpg

It came at the same time as the pork mini burrito and beef taco - both sport meats that are chopped finely, with fiery decent cheddar and wrapped in flour tortillas (the taco being deep-fried and delicate - I forgive them).

First margarita - serious buzz. I've had 6 sangsom-coke's in other bars and I've not had the buzz of ONE of their margaritas. They do them in buckets too - suddenly I'm very afraid.

As my lame-ass friends haven't even bothered to message back, I'm going slow through the food. I might be here a while.

I decide on 2 more tacos - chicken and beef (they're all 60 baht on Tuesday) and a chili cheese dog, which raises the bar considerably.

a8a6e3y6.jpg

The hot dog is your standard boiled pork-beef dog, double or triple the usual Thai dog (although just shy of a ¼ pound dog) and richly slathered with a incredulously-smoky and delicate beef chili - it's sans beans, and the beef has been slow-cooked to perfection, layering the dog and the pillowy-soft bun with a lovely roof of cheese and dense, delicate shards of brisket. If it weren't for the bun, this would be #1 on any south beach diet plan. It's easily one of the best chili dogs I've ever had.

The second margarita has me under its spell. These are serious margaritas…Jan Claude van Dam-good-Margarita…serious strong and stupid delicious. I have to switch to Coke to keep typing. Don't be surprised if this becomes all vowels soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397569189.851980.jpg

On Tuesdays, this is a 60-baht taco. 60 baht! I've not sung it's praises highly enough. It's light and delicate, yet substantial.

There's a lot of meat, proper cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and onions and shredded lettuce - it means business. And they've got Cholula! They import it from the Philippines, and it added just the right depth and character.

The usual price is something like 75-90 baht, depending on whether you choose beef, chicken, pork or bean-cheese, but honestly -- after being raised with great tex-mex in the US southwest and being stuck in the Netherlands for nearly 2 decades...this is a revelation. There's nothing that comes close at home.

I love this place. And after 2 margaritas, I'm feeling drunk.

I love this place. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll wander off to the soi 7 bars across the street and grab a few sangsom-cokes to sober up.

- woofiee

"Bring in the logic probe!"

The drinks are great yes

The food is very unpredictable and the overall standard is poor

Ive had the same taco and first time was ok and passable, second was inedible.

Not knowing the difference between Pork and Beef ribs on more than one visit is inexcusable

With that standard and prices that are charged there are many more better options for a good feed when in Pattaya

The place has a good following and each to their own, I gave it 3 trys in May 13, Oct 13 and over New Years and it will be a long time till I return.

I've also given up on TR. I think Sunrise Tacos offers better food quality and their Taco Tuesdays are all you can eat, including fish tacos.

Working hard to support poor Issan families, by shagging as many bar girls as I possibly can.

Strange. I like the reef I thought it was good and tasty I'll try sunrise but maybe I just liked the margaritas

"Bring in the logic probe!" - Sark

Sunrise Tacos in BKK has better food

But nobody can beat (many can tie) the "on the rocks" Patron margarita

350 bht but makes me feel right at home

Woofie, Thanks for the post. The Taco's look great and I agree 100% about the Margarita's. I would say "standing by for the food critics to chime in"  but it only took one reply. Anyway thanks for your post and report with some nice pics and glad you enjoyed the Taco Tuesday.

Sunrise Tacos in BKK has better food

But nobody can beat (many can tie) the "on the rocks" Patron margarita

350 bht but makes me feel right at home

Everything is relative…you're out on a tear in the beer bars and want Mexican...you're going to go to BKK? You have no idea how BAD the Mexican food is back where I live in Holland; this brought a welcome smile to my lips.

Tacos aside, damn - that chili-cheese dog was fine!

Woofie, Thanks for the post. The Taco's look great and I agree 100% about the Margarita's. I would say "standing by for the food critics to chime in" but it only took one reply. Anyway thanks for your post and report with some nice pics and glad you enjoyed the Taco Tuesday.

:) Thanks - much appreciated. I think it's a great thing to have on 7; a much needed break from the kebab trucks (and man, is it me or is the chicken kebab here bland? You can dump sauce on it if you want, but the meat needs a bit more flavour...)

Sounds like to me with that many drinks in you any food would taste good!

TR does have very good and strong Margaritas but their Mexican food is IMHO, poor. There are other dishes i get there that i do enjoy especially their skirt steak.

Sunrise Tacos in Jomtien is closed, probably because the food was soooo bad.

Thanks Woofiee That hotdog looked pretty good or is somebody going to claim a better one in another establishment. The Usual thing the thais call a hotdog are crap.

Ah Fuck where am I gonna find frankfurts on Good Friday now? 55

Free to Good home Jack Daniels Racing Suit (inc Newcastle Brown Underwear)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like to me with that many drinks in you any food would taste good!

TR does have very good and strong Margaritas but their Mexican food is IMHO, poor. There are other dishes i get there that i do enjoy especially their skirt steak.

Sunrise Tacos in Jomtien is closed, probably because the food was soooo bad.

I don't think it was bad but more that it tried to claim it was authentic and failed. TQ is its' own beast and the food is a pretty close facsimile to the genuine article, but since it doesn't ramp up expectations too much I think the ultimate enjoyment is more genuine, less letdown. 

And damn, that hot dog was good. 

(PS - Wow—finally had a chance to see this report on something other than Taptalk. Can that thing screw up formatting or what? Had no clue it was all zig-zaggity.)

Your kidding me, right?  They suck worse than a super industrial vacuum. Both times I ate there, the food was cold, I had some pie that wasn't even fully cooked.  Just TERRIBLE..... Twice was enough to convince me to NEVER go back again.  Total shit.  About the only GOOD thing that can be said was that the staff tried very hard.

Some of you crack me up. A board member writes a nice report about a great time he had a TR and did a great job adding pictures. But instead of appreciating his efforts all you can do is add your own negative opinion instead of just appreciating his efforts.

To the OP

Great Job

Some of you crack me up. A board member writes a nice report about a great time he had a TR and did a great job adding pictures. But instead of appreciating his efforts all you can do is add your own negative opinion instead of just appreciating his efforts.

To the OP

Great Job

All in the name of freedom of speech and expressing an opinion. Not something Thailand generally presses but at least on PA it's welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

If the OP enjoyed his meal there,  then great, I for one won't eat there.  Born and raised in So California, I've eaten enough Mexican food to know what is and what isn't good (for me).  I tend look at TR as a place for non-American holiday farangs to get their fix of Mexican food.  IMO Mike's Mexican restaurant (going towards Jomtiem) is better.

I lived in Colorado for a decade before getting stuck in Europe for 2 decades more, so I know decent Mexican food. It's wonderful that you enjoyed Mikes. Guess what - I enjoyed Tequila Reef. It's a pity you can't respect someone's opinion. This *isn't* California or Colorado...TiT. Given the location, the activity and the day of the week, everything is relative.

I stand by my drunken review, especially the chili dog. The damn fine chili dog.

I frequent Tequilla Reef when I'm in Patts and I am always happy when I leave. 

:24:    

BM peter.storm :  I go by the saying, "The pussy never lies!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hunting for a place to eat Mexican and dance to latin music in Pattaya and had some limited success -  do any of these places play salsa/latin music and have birds to dance with? 

Would put my vacation into over the moon mode if I found such a place...

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Another highlight of fine Mexican cuisine: crema de flor de calabaza.

post-73366-0-27234700-1402945709.jpg

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Archived