IGNORED

Best Indian Restaurant in Pattaya

Amazing! Though I've never used it myself I was always led to believe that Ali Baba on Pattaya Klang near B/R was one of the best Indian restaurants. Can't believe no one has mentioned it   :Think1:

Possibly the answer is in your question !!!!!!.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there.

There is a new Indian restaurant in town and I think it's worthy of your attention if you love Indian food. 

20141108205858.masalafront.jpg

It's called Royal Masala Restaurant

59/21 Pratumnak Road, South Pattaya  (basically Pattaya 2nd road but north of South Pattaya Road)

It's basically located in that cluster of Middle Eastern and Indian restaurants in South Pattaya.

To find, locate Beverly Plaza hotel and then go a little bit towards South Pattaya Road, same side.

Next to Pars Iranian restaurant.

http://hotelbeverlyplazapattaya.com/location.html

With all the competition, why is this new place special?

A number of reasons.

Freshly ground spices from whole spices

Chef from Punjabi region

Specializing in Northern and Punjabi cuisine

Has plenty of choices, goat, chicken, paneer, fish, and a South Indian menu coming soon. 

Prices reasonable  (not the cheapest but reasonable)

Very clean environment

Unusually responsive management. If you have a special request, just ask. Will suit your spice level. Will even make dish requests not on menu if they have the ingredients.

Open daily I think noon till midnight.

Delivery free (for now) to a reasonable area.

Sample from menu:

Samosa Veg 4 pieces 80

Papadum Masala 2 pieces 30

Breakfast Gobi Parantha with curd 140

Dal Tadka 100

Kadai Paneer 180

Bhindi Masala 120

Kadai Chicken 200

Mutton Rogan Josh 240 (goat)

Some dishes I had:

20141108195553.tandoorichicken.jpg

Tandoori Chicken 1/2, 140

20141108195556.rajma.jpg

Rajmah Masala (this is spicy pinto beans. If you like Tex-Mex chili you might like this.) 120

20141113213635.goatbiryani.jpg20141113213638.goatsauce.jpg

Hyderabadi Biryani with goat and gravy on the side. Custom off menu request. 225

20141108195600.nan.jpgPlain nan 25

A note about goat.

At local Indian restaurants you will often see Mutton dishes.

But it is usually goat not mature sheep meat as many westerners expect when seeing the word mutton.

Because in South Asian culture the word mutton refers to goat, not mature sheep.

If the menu says lamb, you should expect at least lamb or perhaps mature sheep meat but if it says Mutton, expect it will be usually be goat.

They're not trying to fool you. That's the word they use for goat.

Not everyone likes goat meat. I do. At Masala restaurant it is claimed the goat meat is raised in Thailand and not frozen. 

I've always found goat tasty... no objection to it. Mutton or goat is fine for me as long as not tough

There is an odd thing about goat in Thailand which I can't explain. The taste is less strong, less gamy than any goat meat I have tasted before in the U.S. and Mexico. There if you eat goat it's kind of with you  for a long time. This local stuff, not really. I actually prefer the stronger taste. 

Yeah that fits with my experience too. In the UK, it mainly just seems to be served in Caribbean places (where they just chop through the bones, leaving them all jagged - WTF) and it's quite distinct from lamb or sheep. But in Thailand I've found it more generic like you say. Well, assuming that what I had was goat, anyway. It was in Indian restaurants and called mutton or just 'meat', haha. Always a bit disconcerting when they don't specify

Sometimes I do wonder what it is. But the goat I had at this new Masala place had the kind of bone/gristle profile of other meats that I have had that taste like stronger goat. So I think there anyway it really is goat. Now I wonder if it is because the Thai goat meat is almost definitely Halal. It wouldn't need to be for the Mexican or Caribbean market. Anyway, it's fine and I guess most people don't want to taste their dinner on their breath for 24 hours.

Posting more about Masala Restaurant ... my new favorite Indian restaurant in Pattaya!

Here is the non-veg. thali:

20141117223809.nonvegthali.jpg

Pictured clockwise from upper left:

mixed veg curry w/ cauliflower

dal tadka (or choose dal makhani)

basmati rice

roti and papadum

basic yogurt

mutton masala curry (or choose chicken masala curry)

A closer look at the breads:

20141117223816nonvegthali2.jpg

Dessert of Gulab Jamun included but I requested a second roti to have instead,  no problem.

Chutneys Mint and Indian pickle presented.

How many places give you a choice of dals and meats for curries in a basic thali? Wow.

Cooked to order at your spice level request.

Cost for this feast -- 220 baht

Another dish to show:

20141117222658.tandoorivegkebab.jpg

Tandoori Veg. Seekh Kebab 140 baht

This restaurant uses real ghee in many of their dishes, particularly the curries. If you prefer to have no ghee, just ask, again, no problem. 

I would like to post the menu of Masala Restaurant.

This is a new restaurant and turns out it is very good restaurant, with very good service, at very reasonable prices.

So I think they deserve more business as being new not that many people know about them yet.

So here is their menu. Most of it anyway. There is some more in the printed menu such as varieties of raitas.

Also some exciting news coming. They have decided not to support a full South Indian menu and instead because of the special skill of their chef to offer a Rajastani dishes menu in about a month or so. The Rajastani dishes menu obviously not available yet. Also, forget about getting dosas here. You can go elsewhere for that. I think they also will be dropping their pizza menu.

They do deliver but I doubt they would know every place in town. But you could call and ask.

The phone number on the menu ending with 643 is the number to call for an English speaker.

20141120100955masamen1.jpg20141120101017masamen2.jpg20141120101031masam3.jpg20141120101047masam4.jpg

I want to add don't confuse royal MASALA restaurant from Royal Indian Hut restaurant which is really easy to do because they are very close to each other and  both have Royal in their names.

The Royal Indian Hut is a bit north of Beverly Plaza hotel towards Jomtien, and the royal MASALA restaurant is a bit south towards Pattaya Tai. They are not related ownership.

I will be visit Pattaya in October and was wondering if anybody can reccomened a good Indian restaurant....

Cheers

I like the Raj Indian Restaurant on South Road, right near Walking Street. The owner also does a cooking show on local television.

I want to add don't confuse royal MASALA restaurant from Royal Indian Hut restaurant which is really easy to do because they are very close to each other and  both have Royal in their names.

The Royal Indian Hut is a bit north of Beverly Plaza Hotel towards Jomtien, and the royal MASALA restaurant is a bit south towards Pattaya Tai. They are not related ownership.

I think you are mixing up “north” and “south”.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

I would like to post the menu of Masala Restaurant.

This is a new restaurant and turns out it is very good restaurant, with very good service, at very reasonable prices.

So I think they deserve more business as being new not that many people know about them yet.

So here is their menu. Most of it anyway. There is some more in the printed menu such as varieties of raitas.

Also some exciting news coming. They have decided not to support a full South Indian menu and instead because of the special skill of their chef to offer a Rajastani dishes menu in about a month or so. The Rajastani dishes menu obviously not available yet. Also, forget about getting dosas here. You can go elsewhere for that. I think they also will be dropping their pizza menu.

They do deliver but I doubt they would know every place in town. But you could call and ask.

The phone number on the menu ending with 643 is the number to call for an English speaker.

attachicon.gif20141120100955masamen1.jpgattachicon.gif20141120101017masamen2.jpgattachicon.gif20141120101031masam3.jpgattachicon.gif20141120101047masam4.jpg

Do they serve beer and other alcoholic beverages ?

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

I think you are mixing up “north” and “south”.

Oops. You're right. Sorry about that.

Do they serve beer and other alcoholic beverages ?

Beer yes. Other stuff, not sure.

BTW, I tried the Tangari Kebab (150 baht) and I was blown away about how good it was.

I was just expecting tandoori chicken drums but instead they were presented stuffed with a delicious mixture of spiced chicken keema and cheese ... 

So juicy too.

Also they were large so 4 of them was quite a substantial dish in itself.

This was the best Indian dish I've ever had in Pattaya.

Also had the dum aloo ... the potatoes were also stuffed with some other stuff like vegetables and served in a rich sauce similar to a butter chicken sauce but customized for that dish.

The owner told me there have been some British and Australian people eating there who agree with me ... how wonderful the food is ... 

I've been looking for a local Indian place this good (and fairly priced) for years and years. Now it's here.

Thanks Kreggerz,

Great info, I will be trying this place out in about 3 weeks, sounds really good.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

How big are the mutton or chicken curry portions?

At this masala place

How big are the mutton or chicken curry portions?

At this masala place

Honestly, I think the meat portions on those are on the small side. OK if it's just you but really too small if sharing.

I talked to the owner about that and he's open to constructive criticism. The fact is their pricing is a little low for some of their dishes and there will likely be some adjustments next year ... so this month is the time to try this place at the opening prices. On the tangari kebab dish I felt the price of 150 must have been a mistake considering the very large size/portion of chicken and the fancy stuffing. It turns out I was right ... the price on that is definitely going to have to go up based on food costs. The price made sense without the stuffing but as presented it was practically a gift.

Did I mention yet how much I enjoyed their kadai dishes? I had the mutton but it's also done with chicken or paneer. This was a wonderfully tasty spicy curry and apparently a Punjabi dish which is their specialty. 

Also very enjoyed the gobi aloo. 

I tried a chicken methi curry (not on the menu but potato methi is) and this was actually the first time I've had a methi (fenugreek) curry. The thing is you can't easily source fresh fenugreek in Thailand and I'm sure it would be better with that. I liked the flavor (sort of a bitter taste) but really curious to try it with the fresh leaf. 

Not everything is perfect all the time.

One time a roti was too crispy and I honestly suggest you don't bother with their samosas.

On pricing, I am hoping this place can get a good steady volume business going on so they can keep their prices relatively (to the competition) reasonable. Many places have such poor volume that they just raise their prices so high to profit from small volume and those places I won't go.

I see signs of good volume already which is really good for such a new place. There are Indian customers of course but have also seen Middle Eastern, westerners, Japanese, and a but surprisingly even Chinese people. I am also noticing repeat Indian customers and that's definitely a good sign about the food. 

Indian by nature up on the hill is nice

fab food .. great setup..loved it

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Indian by nature up on the hill is nice

fab food .. great setup..loved it

It's a higher end option, sure.

I have eaten at this place and I think it is one of the best in Pattaya and value for money and I will be back..............

Which place?

map_big.jpg

Many moons ago we have been staying at hotel Beverly Plaza because of its excellent location, but 7-8 years ago it was going downhill very fast.

Honestly, I think the meat portions on those are on the small side. OK if it's just you but really too small if sharing.

I talked to the owner about that and he's open to constructive criticism. The fact is their pricing is a little low for some of their dishes and there will likely be some adjustments next year ... so this month is the time to try this place at the opening prices. On the tangari kebab dish I felt the price of 150 must have been a mistake considering the very large size/portion of chicken and the fancy stuffing. It turns out I was right ... the price on that is definitely going to have to go up based on food costs. The price made sense without the stuffing but as presented it was practically a gift.

Did I mention yet how much I enjoyed their kadai dishes? I had the mutton but it's also done with chicken or paneer. This was a wonderfully tasty spicy curry and apparently a Punjabi dish which is their specialty. 

Also very enjoyed the gobi aloo. 

I tried a chicken methi curry (not on the menu but potato methi is) and this was actually the first time I've had a methi (fenugreek) curry. The thing is you can't easily source fresh fenugreek in Thailand and I'm sure it would be better with that. I liked the flavor (sort of a bitter taste) but really curious to try it with the fresh leaf. 

Not everything is perfect all the time.

One time a roti was too crispy and I honestly suggest you don't bother with their samosas.

On pricing, I am hoping this place can get a good steady volume business going on so they can keep their prices relatively (to the competition) reasonable. Many places have such poor volume that they just raise their prices so high to profit from small volume and those places I won't go.

I see signs of good volume already which is really good for such a new place. There are Indian customers of course but have also seen Middle Eastern, westerners, Japanese, and a but surprisingly even Chinese people. I am also noticing repeat Indian customers and that's definitely a good sign about the food. 

Chicken is very cheap in Thailand, not so for lamb (or mutton).

Archived