Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Sunday Buffet at Dicey Reilly's

Evil Penevil

Thanks looks good I will check it out!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ate here yesterday, it was pretty disappointing in terms of the carvery.

I found the meats to be overcooked and dry, especially the turkey, the cauliflower cheese was bland, crinkle cut roast potatoes somewhat oily and not crispy.

the sliced bread was dry, (day old) and the bread rolls were the crusty type, that disintegrate when you break them open.

On a brighter note, the cottage pie was outstanding, I also enjoyed the Thai beef salad along with the som tam salad.

I ate here yesterday, it was pretty disappointing in terms of the carvery.

I found the meats to be overcooked and dry, especially the turkey, the cauliflower cheese was bland, crinkle cut roast potatoes somewhat oily and not crispy.

the sliced bread was dry, (day old) and the bread rolls were the crusty type, that disintegrate when you break them open.

On a brighter note, the cottage pie was outstanding, I also enjoyed the Thai beef salad along with the som tam salad.

I have to agree

I have been to Diceys many times for the Sunday roast

Normally spot on

Yesterday took a mate who had not been before he was very disappointed

The turkey and beef were very tough and over cooked

The cauliflower cheese was very bland and watery

The roast spuds were not roast spuds just uncooked wedges

Even the cottage pie was not up to its normal standards full of grizzle and lumpy mash

To top it all cold gravey

At 480 Baht inc a bottle of water I expect better quality than this

I think I will stick with my normal Sunday roast fav Nickys

tropicaloz,

What time did you go to the buffet?

Pheat,

Where and what is Nicky's please?

tropicaloz,

Pheat,

I was there relatively early, around 12.15 pm, it was not like the meat had been sitting there for hours, it was just poorly prepared food.

I will give it a miss now, the chefs responsible for this would have known that the meat was well over cooked, yet, still allowed it to go out to the public.  

I have to agree

Normally spot on

Even the cottage pie was not up to its normal standards full of grizzle and lumpy mash

Best Sunday roast I found was at the Queen Vic in Soi 6 + its an all you can eat one. The drinks prices are much cheaper than DR also.

Nickys is good but but not an AYCE although the Lamb there is very good.

Best Sunday roast I found was at the Queen Vic in Soi 6 + its an all you can eat one. The drinks prices are much cheaper than DR also.

Nickys is good but but not an AYCE although the Lamb there is very good.

Forgot all about the Queen Vic Sunday roast

Not been in the Queen Vic for maybe 9 years

I will go,there next Sunday for my lunch

tropicaloz,

Pheat,

Nicky`s is a English owned bar/restaurant on Soi buakhao on the Left about 200 metres past Nature view hotel side side.opposite sweetheart bar.

Thanks, for Nickys

Nickys.jpg

but if it's not AYCE then I'll pass, I think. (sorry, I am a bit of a pig)

The contestants for the prize for best AYCE Sunday roast lunch in Pattaya, I'm aware of include:

Sportsman B425

Dicey Reilly B399

Robins Nest B299

Jolly's ~B269

Queen Vic

While I'm at it, other lunch AYCE joints I fancy include

Sizzler (salad bar) ~B179

All Seasons steak buffet ~B299

Shabushi B375

Red Kimchi B345 less Eatigo %

Beefeater Mexican buffet Sat & Sun

Akvavit in Jomtien B335 Sat & Sun

Hilton Edge B520+
Casa Pascal late breakfast B240

The ones in Central Festival are better on weekdays because on weekends they're full of Thais.

I'm only interested in lunch AYCEs because in the evenings I've better things to do.  Does anyone know of any Ninja BBQ type places that are open at lunchtime (they tend to be at Thai-friendly prices of ~B199 not inc fish)?

Corrections, additions and reviews welcome.  We should get together a lunch group of BMs to visit these places sometime.

I have to agree

Normally spot on

It takes a long time to gain a good reputation  and a second to lose it.

The owner if a BM should take note and respond.

JDM 

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

The contestants for the prize for best AYCE Sunday roast lunch in Pattaya, I'm aware of include:

Sportsman B425

Dicey Reilly B399

Robins Nest B299

Jolly's ~B269

Queen Vic

While I'm at it, other lunch AYCE joints I fancy include

Sizzler (salad bar) ~B179

All Seasons steak buffet ~B299

Shabushi B375

Red Kimchi B345 less Eatigo %

Beefeater Mexican buffet Sat & Sun

Akvavit in Jomtien B335 Sat & Sun

Hilton Edge B520+

Casa Pascal late breakfast B240

The ones in Central Festival are better on weekdays because on weekends they're full of Thais.

I'm only interested in lunch AYCEs because in the evenings I've better things to do.  Does anyone know of any Ninja BBQ type places that are open at lunchtime (they tend to be at Thai-friendly prices of ~B199 not inc fish)?

Corrections, additions and reviews welcome.  We should get together a lunch group of BMs to visit these places sometime.

On Sundays, the Mantra (about 1900B) and the Hilton (about 1300B) both do a special brunch.

I've tried all the others you mention (except the Queen Vic) and the only ones I go to regularly any more are Sizzler and the All Seasons. The rest really dont cut it.

Much better value for money can be had in Bangkok, especially when using Eatigo.

KK,

Why don't you like Shabushi and Casa Pascal?

KK,

Why don't you like Shabushi and Casa Pascal?

I didn't say that I dont like them, just that I dont go regularly any more. Both are OK in their way. Perhaps I'm just getting old and fussy.

Shabushi places start off nice enough but I find I rapidly get bored with so much tasting of the same soup. I have the same problem in the open-air Thai hotpot places.

Casa Pascal I used to go to often but now I find that I go to hotel Danmark (Jomtien) more often. CP seems to have cut a lot of corners, but they aren't alone in that.

Nickys doesn't need to go AYCE as their servings are huge. Quality stuff too but way too much for me, I can't do it justice

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

"their servings are huge. Quality stuff too but way too much"

The point of serve-yourself AYCE isn't just that you eat the max, it's that you can choose which of the various meats and vegs you get.  I always ignore several of the things in an AYCE, and have more than my share of others.  Maybe you like brussels sprouts, but not carrots etc.

In terms of alternatives to Casa Pascal, I like Bay Breeze for breakfast, but while you can pretend CP is an AYCE lunch you can't really do that with BB.  

The point of serve-yourself AYCE isn't just that you eat the max, it's that you can choose which of the various meats and vegs you get.  I always ignore several of the things in an AYCE, and have more than my share of others.  Maybe you like brussels sprouts, but not carrots etc.

Absolutely. I go to buffets to get what I want served how I want it, and without having to waste hours explaining to staff what I want and still not getting it (or getting my dessert before my starter). You are never better served than by yourself.

On Sundays, the Mantra (about 1900B) and the Hilton (about 1300B) both do a special brunch.

I've tried all the others you mention (except the Queen Vic) and the only ones I go to regularly any more are Sizzler and the All Seasons. The rest really dont cut it.

Much better value for money can be had in Bangkok, especially when using Eatigo.

the mantra 1900 baht, that's $70 wow what a bargain! 555

I tried Dicey's this past Sunday and I thought it was ok.  Would I go back?  possibly but I am only here for a few weeks so probably not this trip.  The only other carvery I can compare it too is Robin's Nest which I had maybe two years ago and don't remember that well. I run down the list of what I tried and my thoughts on each.

Turkey - I thought it was pretty good and not dry at all.  Of the two meats I chose this was by far the best.

Roast - not very good I would give it a pass next time.  The meat was cooked thoroughly through no red in the center, and I thought it was overdone. 

Mashed potatoes - These were good but I can't see how they could mess them up and still get any decent reviews.

Cheesy Cauliflower - this was ok, first time I had anything like it and I would eat it again, but I have no reference point to say whether it could be better of not.

Cottage pie - this was also good and I would get it again.

vegetables (peas, onion and carrots iirc) , can't remember much about them so neither great nor awful.

yorkshire pudding - I keep convincing myself i will like this but never do so I can't really comment on them.  Only ever had them 2 or 3 times.

I think that was all I had.  As I said I would consider it again but I would also try others to see if I could find a better one. 

Diceys runs hot and cold.  been there many times when it was great and a few when it wasn't.   went last Christmas with 10 friends, and it was awful, the previous two years was great

• 3 months later...

Just had the Sunday "Roast" here and was very disappointed, the pork was BBQ ribs - ok but I wanted roast pork loin, the turkey tasted processed - it was obviously one of those birds that had been injected with water to make it bigger hence the processed taste, the beef however was criminal - instead of roast beef, it was braised brisket!

The potatoes were oily and soggy, they were never crisp to begin with but being kept under a lid made them worse. Veggies were good and cottage pie was very tasty. The Yorkshire pudding was exceptional, light and fluffy with a crisp edge - one of the best I've ever had. The gravy was decent, home-made and fairly tasty for pub fare.

I was fortunate it was Buddha Day so no alcohol which was very overpriced, instead my small bottle of water cost 80 baht.

At 399 baht it is way overpriced considering the highly disappointing meats - that's a lot of the delightful yorkshire pudds you'd need to eat to make it worth that much.

I was fortunate it was Buddha Day so no alcohol which was very overpriced, instead my small bottle of water cost 80 baht.

At least if they overcharge for beer you do get some beer. 80B for small water is criminal and is the main reason why I will not go back there (unless perhaps I buy my own bottle of water in 7/11 beforehand).

Enjoyed food along with Guinness, several times here.

Never been disappointed with the food............................

a tad pricey, but worth it (in my opinion) their service is quite good and the rest of customers seemed very decent.

Archived