IGNORED

Angkor Wat Travel?

Yikes

While in Thailand I want to go over to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. I’ve got a couple of questions about such a trip.

Does anyone know of a reasonable tour package/provider (Airfare/Hotel and tour) for Angkor Wat from Bangkok?

Does anyone have recent experience traveling over-land to Siem Reap? I’ve read some horror stories, but I don’t know how recently they happened. I’ve also heard that things are getting better in Cambodia, yes? No?

Thanks

I did the overland trip from Bangkok to Siem reap last year in July. The road is an absolute abomination from the Cambo border onwards to Siem Reap. Two senior Cambodian politicians own a big stake i Siem Reap Airways which flies from Bangkok to Seam Reap and they have been blocking and funding for road improvements so it doesnt effect thier airline business. Read somewhere recently that funding has finally been approved and work is due to start on the road soon. It being Cambodia don't hold your breath.

During the dry season the road is easily passable but during the wet bridges are often washed out. Some friends of mine took 2 days to do the trip.

Cambodia is on the up financially but be prepared for some pretty horrible sights and severe poverty. There are still over 8 million landmines there and people are literally being blown up on a daily basis. There are beggars everywhere the majority of who are missing limbs or are severly maimed. Watch the street kids as they are quite adept little pick pockets. Also, and its up to you, but I don't give the kids money as they have to hand it over to the beggar pimp that organises them. Give them some food/fruit instead. Have never had one say to to a feed.

The Khmer people are generaly speaking very friendly and curious and in someways are more forward than the Thais.

Not sure about tours from Bangkok a I went with a friend who knows the area and we hired a local guide in Angkok. You can buy a three day pass for the entire temple complex. Can't remeber exactly how much it cost. Either $10 or $20. One thing you have to do is catch a sunrise over Angkor Wat.

Testicles

I think Air Asia now flys to Siem Reap, and that can be cheap. Just check their website.

There are plenty of places to stay in town at reasonable price levels.

Get there quick, it's being inundated by tourists.

Cowards die many times before their deaths;

The valiant never taste of death but once.

William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", Act II Scene 2

I've got some info and TRs I haven't posted yet I'll try to get them up in the next day or so.