Sign in to follow this  
Lantau

US military may have secretly returned to Subic Bay in Philippines

Lantau
US military may have secretly returned to Subic Bay in Philippines

The United States may have already redeployed a permanent military presence in the Philippines amid tensions with China in the South China Sea, reports China's nationalistic Global Times tabloid.

Philippine president Benigno Aquino III said recently that he was "very close" to completing an agreement to boost the number of US troops allowed into the country as tensions with China continue over islands including the Spratlys and Scarborough Shoal.

The US officially ended its permanent military presence in the Philippines after the closure of the Subic Bay naval base in 1991, and has since rotated around 400 troops into the country each year to aid in counter-terrorism operations as consultants and instructors, according to government sources.

The Global Times, however, says following an investigation at Subic Bay, now an industrial and commercial area known as the Subic Bay Freeport Zone, that it is an open secret that it will only be a matter of time before the US military makes a permanent return to the Philippines.

Global Times reported observing large gray warehouses, power plants, pipelines and docks in the Subic Bay area that appear to be for military use but are far too large and extensive for the Philippines Navy. Its sources also claimed that the premises of the former naval base is being maintained by a "mysterious" foreign company which is said to be preparing for the US Navy to move back in at any time. Under the current negotiations between the two countries, the Philippines may reportedly give the US access to bases including Subic Bay, which is considered an extension of the South China Sea.

The owner of a memorabilia store in the bay also told the Global Times that he received an email from US naval officers saying that they will return to the Philippines in 2014 at the earliest.

Others have gone further, alleging that the US military has continued to secretly maintain a presence in Subic Bay for years. One local businessman said there is an area along the bay that has been prohibited to the Philippines military for the past three years and is actually a secret US Navy submarine reconnaissance base.

A professor in the department of politics at the University of the Philippines, told the Global Times that the US military has already made a permanent return to Subic Bay and is also making a gradual return to the former Clark Air Base in the province of Pampanga, situated about 60 kilometers northwest of Metro Manila. President Aquino has also opened up the country's 25 airports and naval bases to allow the US Navy to enter and leave freely, he added.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140224000080&cid=1101

ASIA_SEXPAT

Great news for bar owners in B.Baretto

Pattaya_Brian

Okay, so?

The U.S. will move where it needs to move. What else is new?

You can sleep calmly tonight.

Sc1967

It is only obvious that the Philippine Military is really not capable of defending the country just by observing what happen after typhoon Yolanda. The us led the way for the relief effort. It was rather ironic that the USPersonnel had to mobilize, fly thousand of miles, stage all supplies, and still be the first responders on the ground in the disaster area. It was a big effort on the US to offer and respond the way we did. Of course there is always the ulterior motive in all this that we want more access to Foreign soil for our military presence.

As far as having an impact on the AC bar scene, I think it may not be very big. Times have changed in the US and there is so much pressure our government put on foreign nation for human trafficking. Just do a search for pacom liberty policy and you will find out the pressure our military puts in their personnel.

Did anyone notice any difference during the typhoon relief whether business was better than before? Just wondering.

It may not be really great for the bar scene. Just my 2 pesos worth.

seegars

The US Navy and Air Force should have never left but because of local and national politics, they did. If they return and it looks like they are, it's a win win for all parties. Having that presence in that part of the world and have a Christian based English speaking support community is critical. I'm not Ghengis Khan or Hannibal but I did own a couple of GI Joe's when I was five.So there you have my two pesos which are worth nothing.

sunsandsurf

Places, not bases is the catchphrase.  No bases, but ability to show up and do anything and everything the US military needs to do.  Of course this requires some pseudo-permanent, although maybe only on temporary duty, to be in place continuously to make all the arrangements.

jacuzz9mm

Chinese Carrier killing missiles probably have a lot to do with it. I would imagine the US wants a stop gap until they have a counter to them which  is why you are seeing rail guns and Lasers coming on line.

the_thing

Chinese Carrier killing missiles probably have a lot to do with it. I would imagine the US wants a stop gap until they have a counter to them which  is why you are seeing rail guns and Lasers coming on line.

I doubt the development of a particular missle by the chinese is the impetus...

dogg

I believe that the Americans have never 100% pulled out of the PI. I read somewhere where they "rent" some space on the inland PI bases and use them for storage and staging of their equipment. In the past 5-6 years, there has been a stronger US military presence at Subic, but nothing like it was in the past. I think the US is going to be granted use of part of the base on the island of palawan. Like Subic, it too can be a deep water port.

As far as the US Navy being afraid of the anti-ship missile, I am pretty sure it is a concern, but not a very big one. There is no need for the US Navy to park a CVN (or any other capital ship) in the South China Sea. With satellites, spy planes, refueling, etc there just is no need. In fact, I do not believe the Chinese should be afraid of them. I believe they mostly fear the subs that I am sure traverse the South China Sea with good frequency. As long as the US keeps it's advantage underwater and in space, there will be no major problems in the area. 

I cant wait to see video of the space rail gun shooting a rod of tungsten to earth. It will make one hell of a hole.

Captain Courageous

Some "secret" !