Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Opening a bar....

silentbob

This should be fun....

I am trying to get some knowledge together with regard to opening a bar in Pattaya :) don't ask me why? I have many stupid ideas some of them work and some of them never get off the ground.

So advice, ideas please gents, location, attraction, style etc any input as to what you would like to see or have in a small watering hole.....?

My experience and background is pub and club management and security in the UK, I have all the relevant business set up so it would be a simple case of moving in and setting up, any bar owners who have info, supplies set up costs etc who can also advise please get in touch.

Before the flaming starts..... my motivation for doing this is not to become a bar millionaire, I am thinking more along the lines of a hobby-interest, it will have to break even and the investment will be capped, a Thai national will be given the opportunity to run it and make it or break it, the person we have in mind is either going to rip us a new asshole or prove themselves to be trustworthy enough to go far in our company, so there is some method to our madness as the project is something of a test for us and them.

OK my idea is a small bar either enclosed or open air, sports screening and particularly anything to do with motorbikes will be a big theme and obviously we will incorporate tattoo and airbrush so the decor should be quite arty and interesting as we will "customize" our own space quite literally, although getting girls is not a problem (I can get some stunners frequenting) my idea is to have nothing short of the staff for the bar and something of a "boys bar" (and not that sort of boys bar before the ladyboy patrol starts getting excited) i.e. somewhere you can go and get away from it, watch some tv, listen to the right tunes and maybe get on a playstation or X-Box, kind of like your living room at home with your mates round, if you bring your chick..... there can be an area especially for them where they can sit and talk about food, money and shoes, check them in when you arrive, pick them up when you leave.

Website will of course play a big part and will constantly be updated like a menu, with sports and events. so if you fance a break check the website see whats going on...

I have come to the conclusion living here, that in order to go and find the kind of place I want to go and chill in when I finish work, I am going to have to open it. Unless I have missed a bar that is already open (that actually has other customers or people in it) ?

There needs to be something in this town that is a "get away from it all" a real chill out. There are some good bars here but everything revolves around birds and sex is always on offer. The places where it is not are in my mind grim and aimed at tourists only, am I the only person in Pattaya who just occasionally wants to get away from the sex scene but not sit in a bar surrounded by mock oak and paying expensive prices whilst "respectable" couples have their Sunday roast?

As I sat in a quite respectable bar watching Moto Gp yesterday whilst some drunken fat twat was trying to feel up his dates on the next table, whilst at the same time were both constantly on their mobiles, laughing like lunatics and generally being birds who knew they were on for a big payday, I came to the conclusion that on my one day off there has to be a venue where I can relax with like minded people who are into the same sports and interests rather than sit there wishing I had an Uzi 9mm to mow down the other patrons.

Anyone think this venture may work?

*Anyone interested in investing in a hairbrain scheme of extreme stupidity please pm me now but stop pm'ing me when the bar is bankrupt and your money is gone.*

I can agree that there is a need for a chill out type bar but my only concern would be are there enough punters who would want this kind of facility, maybe it could be aimed moreso at expats.

On the face of it, 99.9% of the punters go to the bars for the girls, I think the viability of this kind of bar would need to be viewed more objectively rather than subjectively, which I guess is the purpose of this post. Sounds like a good idea. Id love to be able to go somewhere and chill and play xbox....but I dont monger so Im the minority.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

I can agree that there is a need for a chill out type bar but my only concern would be are there enough punters who would want this kind of facility, maybe it could be aimed moreso at expats.

On the face of it, 99.9% of the punters go to the bars for the girls, I think the viability of this kind of bar would need to be viewed more objectively rather than subjectively, which I guess is the purpose of this post. Sounds like a good idea. Id love to be able to go somewhere and chill and play xbox....but I dont monger so Im the minority.

I'm not sure I think maybe you would be surprised. To expand on the idea, I am not talking a big bar here, I am talking about a small venue no big fancy decor, it will be done "ON THE CHEAP" but, we are quite creative, so I am sure we can make something out of nothing that will impress. It would not need a high volume of custom, in fact I think that would be the appeal, a few like minded people, it seems to work for other bars I have seen they are like small communities, but there is not a community that suits me, I dont want to talk pussy or football, I am interested in bikes (but not joining a biker club or bar) tattoo's, airbrush and art and motor racing.

I am not at present interested in the chicks, (kid in a sweet shop syndrome?) that will no doubt change at some point and when it does there are plenty of great venues to go to, but for now there is nothing out there that really caters to the mood I am in.

It should be the sort of place that when your terak breaks your heart and you are as down as you can be, you can go and be amongst friends who will take the piss out of you until you publicly cry, then they can beat you on the X-Box and take the piss out of you some more, a place of wisdom if you want? :)

I dont think it should be aimed at either x-pats or tourists, just people in the right mood for a chill out

If I can cost it right, get the right rent etc, then the plan is a X-Box event and say a sports event on a Sunday is enough to break it even.

In fact I have decided no Thai Bar girls, I can't beat the fuckers at pool or connect four, can you imagine what would happen if they were sat on a X-Box all day?

Thinking of calling it "The Chauvinist Pig"

Ah ok I see where your coming from. As for Xbox - dont get me started, they are fucking good at every game. Wifey smashed me in K1 Fighting, Tekken, Tennis and Fifa.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

Have seen the odd bar where this scenario seems to be the norm, its a small bar, but would there be money in it?

Where?

I don't think there would be money in it, but if it broke even then I could certainly justify it as a marketing tool for both the airbrush and tattoo business, for example we could airbrush the interior I think there is a great market for airbrushed walls etc in clubs and bars here, but its the usual scenario until they see it they wont take the risk, I need a demo if you like.

Other ideas I have come up with whilst in the gym, am thinking second floor with stunning view as backdrop for the big widescreen, racing seats from cars as the "gamers" seats, a bring or buy your own chair option, protein shakes etc available for our healthier clientel, room for a ring and padded sumo suits so that matters of honor can be settled like gentleman should insults or threats be issued or received.. and even a ladies night where it can be turned over to the teeraks just to reasure them as to what goes on.

Online leagues for the X Box results and stats, etc so everyone can keep score and challenge etc, no forum and no real disscussion hopefully that could take place here or on other sites.

I dont care if you live here or your on holiday, whenever you get asked "where your going?" you know you have the wrong answer, this could be the solution or at least a fucking good alibi... another service we could be offering online and in the bar, complete with fabricated pictures, dates and times... if there's no birds then they cant grass you up can they? And if you get seen out when your meant to be in our bar then a network of several dedicated witnesses are going to spin teerak out with concrete evidence of your whereabouts,.......even if it's her best mate telling her the bad news she is going to think twice before cutting your dick off.

At present this is just an idea but I am intrigued to hear thoughts on it, forget making money, forget all the hassles, do you think you would frequent or visit such an establishment?

i have seen that sort of bar work (from a visitors perspective ) in pp the pickled parrot in i think 104 st its quiet has big screen low volume music so people can watch the screen has no bar girls except a couple of hotties that strictly work behind the bar (and do a very good job)you can bring your latest gf that you found a hour earlier in should you wish i stayed in the guest house above the bar for the very reason it was quiet but i could step out the door and be in a normal beer bar in 30 seconds if i wished ,the food was cheep and plentiful it was open 24/7 because i think it also served the guest house (the legal excuse for 24/7 operation)

yeah that sounds similar but the key word is guest house, I see this venture more as an afternoon affair or maybe early evening meet up... if a late one then private function...

After Ive dropped a load the last thing I want is another girl clinging on me..Its HOT here and it Rains alot..If raining I look for an enclosed bar to get of the weather..Since its hot all the time I look for AIR CON and not just the restraunts..Air Con bars with fair prices to just sit and have a drink..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

After Ive dropped a load the last thing I want is another girl clinging on me..Its HOT here and it Rains alot..If raining I look for an enclosed bar to get of the weather..Since its hot all the time I look for AIR CON and not just the restraunts..Air Con bars with fair prices to just sit and have a drink..

air for sure, prices would be good as only bar staff to feed and a respite from the birds, do I take that as a yes?

Defo a good idea, I would welcome a place like that, a good place to chill without the hassles.

Should take some themes from the Amsterdam bars (without the smoke) obviously ;). There great places to relax after work. Good idea on the airbrushing.

My only concern is location? as you say you have a budget then Im guessing down town would be pricey, maybe the otherside of Sukumvit would be an option. Good luck with this, hope it works out. Get some PS3's as well as xbox.

Good drink, good tunez in a relaxing setting...winner. Then back home to get an ear full off the missus and kids. Count me in.

Should take some themes from the Amsterdam bars (without the smoke) obviously ;). There great places to relax after work.

Funny you should say that a bar from that area is the inspiration.

Go old school, table football and space invader table...

Keep the overheads down it should work

Go old school, table football and space invader table...

Keep the overheads down it should work

come to think of it anyone ever seen a pinball machine here? Cant say I have ever noticed one.

"a Thai national will be given the opportunity to run it and make it or break it, the person we have in mind is either going to rip us a new asshole or prove themselves to be trustworthy enough to go far in our company"

*Anyone interested in investing in a hairbrain scheme of extreme stupidity please pm me now but stop pm'ing me when the bar is bankrupt and your money is gone.*

ok, where do i sign up, sounds liek a definate winner..........................................................................

..............................................................................NO

T :Chokdee3:

ok, where do i sign up, sounds liek a definate winner..........................................................................

..............................................................................NO

T :Chokdee3:

on the dotted line....

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got any ideas as to likely costs?

GLASGOW RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB - NO OTHER TEAM COMES CLOSE!!!!!!!

Cane we see the business case, investment required, cash flow when the bar will be in profit, what the expected margin will be by product and a risk analysis.

Subject to the above numbers looking tidy I will be in for 100K£

Cane we see the business case, investment required, cash flow when the bar will be in profit, what the expected margin will be by product and a risk analysis.

Subject to the above numbers looking tidy I will be in for 100K£

Can I see the 100k? Then I will do a cash flow and will even throw in a marketing plan.

OK fuck it it's early lets expand this....

The bar will either be called the "YOOF CLUB" or the "Sanctuary" or "Rehab"

You are greeted by a Thai guy at the door who is a lump in a monkey suit. In fluent English he will tell you "You cant bring tarts in here!" There will be NO repeat NO birds in the bar apart from staff, any staff caught banging customers get fired any customers caught messing with the staff get asked to leave.

Pool tables, at least 3 flat screens with Playstations attached and gameing seats. Table football, pinball, darts etc. Leagues for everything and bar records to aim for ie highest score on a video game or longest fart, whatever your talent we welcome it.

Alibi's! We will sell alibi's.... with photographic evidence and witnesses, your girlfriend will never catch you again.

I will throw in the web site which will be all singing all dancing and interactive more than likely a Joomla site.

Membership to the bar will facilitate the services of a lawyer, translater, medical and dental refferals and a 24 hour helpline for when your in "the monkey house" or your hotel room with some screaming Thai chick about to slit your throat, help and advice you can trust basically.

Running costs would be low as there would be no staff other than service, I am guessing 70k a month all in. There will be a membership fee for the above legal and other services to apply so this would be extra revenue, perhaps also a small entrance fee for non members. The target would be break-even in year one, break even with return of investment in year two and a retained profit of 33% per year there-after. Turnover? Profit on food and drink I would have to look into but given the amount of people hitting this industry I guess if you get the footfall its a profitable biz.

I think you could throw something together for 750k to a mil.

These figures are pulled out of thin air and fuck knows how it would stack up in reality, but I think its an original idea for this place and I reckon it would do well, but it is only a thought, unless someone decides to make it a reality, I wonder how long before the idea gets nicked? :D

The above of course is pie in the sky bollocks, BUT:

If anyone is looking for a serious business opportunity in Pattaya with guaranteed return of investment and ongoing revenue for the life of the equipment I am looking to invest in a tattoo removal laser (will also remove hair), this is big business and I get asked all the time, this would not be a huge investment, a very simple lease agreement for the life of the machine, for every hour the machine works after return of investment the investor gets x amount per hour. This is possibly the soundest investment in this town with very very good returns.

Why am I not doing it myself? Well the biz partner has put his foot down and we are actually going to take a break and some wages for a while instead of plowing all our money into the business. And I have to agree with him, given the choice between a laser or a new Motorbike, I am picking bike so thats where my moneys going this year, laser next year, unless any of you lot are interested, if so pm.