Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Sa-teef

Donation of Your Rh negative Blood is Always Needed in Thailand

Sa-teef

If we are involved in a serious accident or develop a sudden illness that requires a blood transfusion in the Western world most of us can assume that the blood will be found.  That is not always the case in Asia.

About 15% of those people of European ancestry are Rh negative. While the supply may be limited in the West, it can usually be found quickly from other hospitals or blood banks.  And while Thai people are generous in giving blood, like most Asians the Rh factor is much different than in the West.  About 1% of Asians are Rh negative, and only 3/10ths of 1% of Thais are Rh negative.  Out of 1,000 Thai donors only 2 or 3 will be Rh negative. 

From the Phuket Blood Center:

99.7% of Thais have Rh Positive (Rh +) blood, Rh Negative (Rh-) is rare among Thais (less than 1% in Asians)

• Foreigners have a much higher incidence of Rh Negative blood, about 15%. For every 100 foreign accident patients who need blood, 16 of them will require Rh Negative blood.
  • Only around 20 foreigners donate blood regularly each month in Phuket. Due to the limited number of Rh Negative blood collected from the Thai population, the hospitals never have enough stock of this type of blood.
  • The Rh Negative blood Register is a resource for Embassies, and hospitals to call when Rh- blood is needed. Calls can then be made to the volunteers on the list to look for an eligible and available donor. Registered donors can be removed from the list at any time.
  • If a volunteer wishes to donate regularly the red cells can only be stored for up to 6 weeks, but the platelets last only 5 days. To avoid wasting valuable blood supplies, it may be advised that donors wait for the Red Cross to contact you personally when the demand for blood increases.

http://phuketdir.com/phuketredcross/

So when it comes to urgent needs for blood we can't rely on a Thai person to do it for us.  We have to be there to help each other.  That is why I have given blood several times myself in Thailand and why I am encouraging other expats to get involved and register with the Red Cross or Central Blood Register in Bangkok.

"The Central Blood Register (CBR) is a voluntary register for people willing to donate Rhesus Negative blood in the event of an emergency. The CBR aims to help coordinate between the demand, donors and the Thai Red Cross blood bank. Any hospital, organization or individual can approach the CBR 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.  

Rhesus Negative (Rh-) blood is very rare among Thai people so the Thai Red Cross Blood Bank sometimes does not have adequate stores of Rh- blood when it is urgently needed.  The Central Blood Register is a resource for Embassies, other hospitals, the Thai Red Cross and individuals to call when Rh- blood is needed.  Calls can then be made to the volunteers on the list to look for an eligible and available donor.  Registered donors can be removed from the list at any time."

http://www.centralbloodregister.com/

Twenty questions for possible donors written and translated by the Thai Red Cross.

If you are serious about possibly donating, read them

http://english.redcross.or.th/article/1113

Some facilities require a permanent address in Thailand for donors and some do not, depending on the circumstances.  There is not a single, concrete answer for all questions we might pose, but if you are serious about being a donor, I would urge you to do some reading and investigate.

In my heart it is the right thing to do.  

If you are Rh negative and live in Thailand I hope you will consider it as well.

Farangtom

I have O- blood, and would donate every chance i got until I started workinv in Afghanistan. Now,  most blood banks will not accept me as a donor.

Captain Dave

Interesting. as i have Goup A R-ve.

I was a regular donor in the UK and will make enquiries.

excap

I am A-.  Do they accept donations from visitors.  You never know, I may need it back some time if I take a tumble on a motorbike.

gbsmiley

I'm B negative,last time I looked only 5% same same in uk

scotty man

Will they accept blood donations from mongers like us who may have been exposed to STI's, mad cow disease etc?

COLD SODA

Excellent effort Sa-teef , I am not of the right blood type ...but I do wish you the best .

gingermagic

I was under the impression that if you have lived in the UK pre 1995-96 for more than 6 months, then you cannot donate blood in foreign countries due to the blood being contaminated with vCJD (caused by the mad cows disease (BSE) out break that came to light in the 80s). Shame really as I am a regular blood donor in the UK and would donate blood in a foreign country if allowed too.

Sa-teef

I was under the impression that if you have lived in the UK pre 1995-96 for more than 6 months, then you cannot donate blood in foreign countries due to the blood being contaminated with vCJD (caused by the mad cows disease (BSE) out break that came to light in the 80s). Shame really as I am a regular blood donor in the UK and would donate blood in a foreign country if allowed too.

The twenty questions answers most of your queries actually.

12. Had blood transfusions in England during the years 1980-1996

You aren't automatically exposed to BSE from living there of course.  Keep in mind that the questions are in-exact translations from Thai to English at times. This is the best translation of what they are concerned with I believe?

The questions will ask about risky sexual behavior, but we all must be honest in our responses.

"I'm B negative,last time I looked only 5% same same in uk"

Not same same.  The total of all Rh negative Thais (that is A-, B-, AB- and O-) are only 3/10ths of one percent.  Hence, the donors are only 3/10ths of 1%.  That is the very essence of the problem for those who might need Rh negative blood in Thailand. Falang are 15-16% Rh negative.  Thais and all Asians are much much lower.

rhfactorprev.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh_blood_group_system 

Captain Dave

Do you have any links on this? Its the first I've heard of it, though possibly the case.  

Sa-teef

I am A-.  Do they accept donations from visitors.  You never know, I may need it back some time if I take a tumble on a motorbike.

Some places do and some don't.  In Phuket it seems to be an issue but if you have a permanent address in Thailand, i.e. read that as somewhere they would take your mail, most all facilities will accept your donation.  I've given at three locations, once as a tourist and it was never an issue. 

Sa-teef

Do you have any links on this? Its the first I've heard of it, though possibly the case.  

Some of the questionaires are worded (badly) as, "have you ever lived for six months or more in UK between 1980-1996?"  

If you have received blood during those years in the UK you should probably bow out, since that is the crux of the matter.

I have been along with at least four different guys that I can recall spent time in the UK and given blood.  In all cases the nurses queried them about receiving blood during that time.

gingermagic

I don't have any links on this per se. The NHS "Give Blood" site (http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/faqs/) states the following with regards to donating blood in the UK:

"

Why are people who have or think they may have received a blood transfusion since 1980 no longer able to give blood?

This step was implemented by all four of the UK Blood Services on 2nd August 2004. It is a further precautionary measure against the possible risk of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) being transmitted by blood and blood products.

vCJD is thought to be the consequence of eating contaminated beef, related to BSE (or mad cow disease) in UK cattle after 1980. Fortunately, vCJD is very rare. But, there is evidence that vCJD may be transmitted from an infected blood donor to the patient, via transfusion

"

From reading Sa-teef response above it sounds like Thai health authorities ask about UK residency and if you have been living in the UK between 1980-96 you probably shouldn't donate. I have been told by medical staff (when donating blood) that before the UK mad cow disease scare came to light the UK did export surplus blood to other countries if requested. However, because of the risk of vCJD being transmitted from infected blood there is now a complete ban on this.

Scumbag

There is some information on the requirements on the following page: Donating after travelling. If you select UK in the drop down menu it states that you can not donate in Australia if you lived for more than 6 months in the UK between 1980 and 1996. Unfortunately this rules me out.

Are there any exclusions in Thailand if you participate in high risk activities such as having sex with a prostitute?

Sa-teef

There is some information on the requirements on the following page: Donating after travelling. If you select UK in the drop down menu it states that you can not donate in Australia if you lived for more than 6 months in the UK between 1980 and 1996. Unfortunately this rules me out.

Are there any exclusions in Thailand if you participate in high risk activities such as having sex with a prostitute?

The only two specific questions on the sheets that I recall are:

-Have you had unprotected sex with a prostitute?

-Have you had sex with another man?

In both cases I think there was a time frame involved (in the last year or something like that?) but they are easy for me to answer so I didn't really have to dwell upon them.  They may well ask about them personally if you check the "yes" box, just like they asked the English guys about blood transfusions when they checked "yes" to the living in UK between 1980-1996 for more than six months.

``````````````````````````````````````

A big thank you to Admin for pinning this string.

The need for Rh negative blood will persist as the expat community continues to grow.

yobbo

Yeah in Australia

You will not be able to give blood if, in the past 12 months, you have/or had:

Oral or anal sex with another man, even ‘safer sex’ using a condom (if you are a man)

Sex with a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are a woman)

Sex with a male or female sex worker

That would count out pretty much everyone on this board.

So whats the rules in Thailand?

Edited by yobbo

Sa-teef

Yeah in Australia

You will not be able to give blood if, in the past 12 months, you have/or had:

Oral or anal sex with another man, even ‘safer sex’ using a condom (if you are a man)

Sex with a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are a woman)

Sex with a male or female sex worker

That would count out pretty much everyone on this board.

So whats the rules in Thailand?

Not everyone.

The twenty questions I posted earlier covers most of the concerns they have with donor's health.

From memory they ask if you have had unprotected sex with a prostitute in the past twelve months?

They also ask if you have had sexual contact with another man, within a particular time frame?

If you are Rh negative and seriously considering donating blood, please give them a call (there are numbers on the web sites I linked to).

The foreign visitor or expat who critically needs your blood will be grateful.

And before I forget, a BIG THANK YOU to Laamok and his compatriots for adding the headliner to the board as well as the ad.  

It is great to see Pattaya Addicts Board making a pro-active effort to assist the falang visitors and expats in Thailand.

This could save the life of your friend.......or your own.

Well done gentlemen!!   :Clap9:  

fredjas

I have O- blood, and would donate every chance i got until I started workinv in Afghanistan. Now,  most blood banks will not accept me as a donor.

Why mate?

swagman

I have a rare blood type O rh+, but with the letters 'DU' after it.

Which means my blood belongs to a small group which is 'rh+' but with only a very weak '+'

It's just red stuff to me - but they like me to donate often in Blighty.

I'll do some research to see if los would like a drop of the good stuff next time I'm in town.

(If the nurse is hot I'll try the line... "You wanna poke that into my flesh? - only if I can poke THIS into yours!"  lol)

Edit: With that nurse uniform on, they'll have no problem finding my vein...it'd be bulging like my... er..eyes!

Edited by swagman

Sa-teef

I have a rare blood type O rh+, but with the letters 'DU' after it.

Which means my blood belongs to a small group which is 'rh+' but with only a very weak '+'

It's just red stuff to me - but they like me to donate often in Blighty.

I'll do some research to see if los would like a drop of the good stuff next time I'm in town.

(If the nurse is hot I'll try the line... "You wanna poke that into my flesh? - only if I can poke THIS into yours!"  lol)

Thanks for considering a donation when you are in Thailand!!   :wink:

Sa-teef

"Give Life, Give Blood"

DSC09253blood_zps4d581b84.jpg

A one-half page ad in Thai Rath, a Thai language daily yesterday.  Yanhee Hospital, a private hospital is thanking all the Thais who have given the gift of life.  But the one thing the Thais can't give to falang is Rh negative blood.  Only a tiny percentage of Thais, about 3/10 of 1% are Rh negative, while the falang living here and visiting here are 15% Rh negative.  So that means it is up to you and me to help when a falang is in need.

If you are Rh negative check out the links in my first post above to see if you might qualify and consider giving the gift of life.

company

@swagman:  i have also O - and Du neg.   on my card it says:  Rh(D): neg ccddee and Du: neg.    

strange all.   so you can have Du positif also?  

So i am a complete alien?    there goes my Visa attempt..  :(

Scumbag

There was a request for blood on Bangkok post yesterday:

The blood centre had to find ways to motivate them to donate regularly, Dr Soisang said.

The centre urged young people to donate blood more often because they are generally more physically ready.

Rapee Noppakhun, a blood donor, aged about 40, said she wanted to donate because she "simply wanted to give and no further explanation is needed".

Mrs Rapee said she felt happy when giving blood even though she was too scared to look at the blood packs around her.

"I plan to give my blood until I'm 60, as donors should be people aged between 17 and 60 years old.

"I encourage everyone to donate blood because your blood can help prolong the lives of others," she said.

The National Blood Centre is organising a campaign at its head office on Henri Dunant Road from 8am to 4pm on July 14, which is World Blood Donation Day.

Blood donating campaigns will also be held at the National Blood Centre's provincial offices in Chiang Mai, Nakhon Sawan, Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chon Buri, Ratchaburi, Songkhla, Phuket and Prachuap Khiri Khan on Saturday.

For further information, please contact the National Blood Centre at 02-256-4300.

LINK

SLEUTH

Big bone( :WinkGrin1: ) of contention with me. I am not eligible to donate blood in the UK as due to an accident I received a blood transfusion in the late 1980s. Therefore as a receiver I have more to offer! Does anyone know if the receipt of a blood transfusion is an issue in Thailand when it comes to donating as it is here in the UK?

All being well I hit town early October!

bobbyccc

Other than Banglamung, I had't been able to find any place to donate

blood in Pattaya. However, just today, I learned that Bangkok Pattaya

Hospital apparently has a government hospital (not sure which one)

come in once every three-months to take blood donations. I understand

that the next scheduled one is August 28th beginning at 9 am. I'm told

that it is good to arrive early as, apparently, lots of people show up to donate.