IGNORED

Global Entry for US Citizens

LASportsNut

I just signed up for Global Entry.  

Does anyone else use this service or something similar?  

I normally fly from LAX to and from BKK.  

Apparently it is supposed to allow you to get through TSA security without waiting in the long lines.  It is also supposed to allow you to get through customs without waiting as well.   

I am unsure if it really works in foreign countries or just to and from the USA.

Anyone have any experience with this system at either LAX or BKK?

Thanks for any input.

I am unsure if it really works in foreign countries or just to and from the USA.

It's only for the US therefore it will not be any use at BKK.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Just for US and Canadian airports (when combined with Nexus).  You will love skipping the line-ups and  not having to take off your shoes.  Despite the name it is for domestic and international flights.

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

Just for US and Canadian airports (when combined with Nexus).  You will love skipping the line-ups and  not having to take off your shoes.  Despite the name it is for domestic and international flights.

Yes, I figured for $100 it will be work it.  I travel about 5 times a year, so that adds up to about $4 a trip. 

Global entry and TSA Pre-check are actually two separate things. Global Entry allows you to use the electronic Kiosks for entry to the US thus by passing talking to the immigration officer. Singapore and Taiwan also have this system. Doesn't do anything for customs entering the USA. If you have Global Entry you are automatically given the TSA Pre-check status, but you can get TSA Pre-check without Global Entry. High level frequent fliers can be signed up for TSA pre-check by the airlines. Delta gives it to me as a Diamond Medallion, though I have Global Entry as well. TSA Pre-check is really the time saver in the US. Don't need to take your laptop out, don't need to take off your shoes, or belt, just put your bag on the belt and walk through the metal detector. However, as posted above, it is only for the US, and I guess Canada as mentioned.

In BKK, EVA has become my favorite airline as flying business class with them earns a pass for the premium line both entering and exiting BKK. This little perk reduces the immigration line from sometimes hundreds down to less than twenty during my worst arrival. Most of the time there is no line and I could have lunch waiting for my luggage, if there were someplace to have lunch.....

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

US citizens should be barred from overseas travel until they pay of that squillion dollar debt.

US citizens should be barred from overseas travel until they pay of that squillion dollar debt.

LOL, good luck with that one. I'm paying my share of it, plus two other countries.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

Global entry and TSA Pre-check are actually two separate things. Global Entry allows you to use the electronic Kiosks for entry to the US thus by passing talking to the immigration officer. Singapore and Taiwan also have this system. Doesn't do anything for customs entering the USA. If you have Global Entry you are automatically given the TSA Pre-check status, but you can get TSA Pre-check without Global Entry. High level frequent fliers can be signed up for TSA pre-check by the airlines. Delta gives it to me as a Diamond Medallion, though I have Global Entry as well. TSA Pre-check is really the time saver in the US. Don't need to take your laptop out, don't need to take off your shoes, or belt, just put your bag on the belt and walk through the metal detector. However, as posted above, it is only for the US, and I guess Canada as mentioned.

In BKK, EVA has become my favorite airline as flying business class with them earns a pass for the premium line both entering and exiting BKK. This little perk reduces the immigration line from sometimes hundreds down to less than twenty during my worst arrival. Most of the time there is no line and I could have lunch waiting for my luggage, if there were someplace to have lunch.....

Thanks for the information.  

I'm thinking of signing up for Global Entry as well.  While going through the immigration line at LAX this last trip, I noticed that they changed the lay out of the immigration area.  The Global Entry kiosks are in the middle, between two sets of normal immigration queues.  While all the immigration queues were filled with people (it took me over an hour to get through the queue), the Global Entry kiosks sat largely unused.

Because I usually have a tight connecting flight, Global Entry would work well for me.  I'm just a bit leary about giving my fingerprints and other personal information to the Government's tracking system (I realize they can still track me via my passport).  So it's a toss up between Global Entry or getting asked awkward questions about my LOS holiday by a jealous immigration official (although LAX is much better in this department as compared to SFO).

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

When I was approved for my SENTRI card last October, I was automatically approved for global entry as well. Unfortunately I never received the card in the mail and have to go through the approval process again.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I'm thinking of signing up for Global Entry as well.  While going through the immigration line at LAX this last trip, I noticed that they changed the lay out of the immigration area.  The Global Entry kiosks are in the middle, between two sets of normal immigration queues.  While all the immigration queues were filled with people (it took me over an hour to get through the queue), the Global Entry kiosks sat largely unused.

Because I usually have a tight connecting flight, Global Entry would work well for me.  I'm just a bit leary about giving my fingerprints and other personal information to the Government's tracking system (I realize they can still track me via my passport).  So it's a toss up between Global Entry or getting asked awkward questions about my LOS holiday by a jealous immigration official (although LAX is much better in this department as compared to SFO).

Just be very accurate with the form you have to fill out. One wrong entry,and you can forget the $100US to apply. The bad part is, they will not tell you what the problem is.

I have had Global Entry (and TSA Pre-Check, which came with it) for a while, and I think it is FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Some thoughts/tips/observations:

- I decided to get Global Entry after a tight connection on an International flight at DFW.  I was in a long line of passengers who had to clear immigration/customs and I was concerned I might miss my connecting flight.  I noticed how quickly the Global Entry folks made it through, and was able to get a quick interview at LAX (somebody must have canceled).  I think it best for someone who has International connecting flights, as you have to clear immigration/customs at your first point of entry and this really speeds it up.

- When you get back to LAX, you hit the kiosk, which prints out a little slip for you to take the the immigration desk.  No more scrambling to find a pen to fill out that damn entry form on the plane anymore. 

- BIGGEST perk at LAX: you know those long ass lines after people clear immigration and get their bag and then have to clear the customs desk?  Yep....they're no longer a concern.  There is line down the middle for Global Entry, similar to the one for pilots/flight attendants.  You basically walk up and the customs guy will call you over next ahead of the "huddled masses" waiting in the long line.  I think it took me about 20 minutes to go through immigration, get my bags and clear customs last time, and 95% of that was the time spent waiting for my bag.

- be sure to register your "Trusted Traveler" I.D. number with all of your airline/frequent flier programs.  I didn't know that SW implemented PreCheck at LAX and didn't enter my info.  If it is entered with your info or when you buy the ticket, a notation prints on your boarding pass, allowing you to use the PreCheck lane -- leave your shoes on, etc.  Much more pleasant way to go through security.  

With that said, I DID go through PreCheck in Austin on my way back to LAX, and it wasn't all that convenient -- they combined the PreCheck lane with the "customers needing assistance" lane, so I think it may have actually taken longer (although I got to leave my shoes on!)

Sorry we're not going to be Pattaya at the same time, but come back to this thread and give us your thoughts after you have a chance to try Global Entry -- I think you're going to LOVE it.  I really hate waiting in long lines and it cuts that to minimum.

Let me know if you have any questions

I signed up, it's great.  Some airports like SFO have TSA express lines, you show your ID and go through security quickly, no removing shoes, etc.

When I returned from BKK to SFO, I skipped the line, went straight to the kiosk, got my approval printed out in less than 10 seconds, walked straight to baggage claim.

Excellent article on this matter:

Global Entry rocks. I travel internationally at least once a month and have little patience for lines, especially when many of those in the line haven't a clue as to how to navigate the process.

AMS is my primary point of entry/exit to Europe and the Middle East - a Privium membership gets it done there (and they've got the cool retina scan)

Best travel money ever spent.

I have had Global Entry (and TSA Pre-Check, which came with it) for a while, and I think it is FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Some thoughts/tips/observations:

- I decided to get Global Entry after a tight connection on an International flight at DFW.  I was in a long line of passengers who had to clear immigration/customs and I was concerned I might miss my connecting flight.  I noticed how quickly the Global Entry folks made it through, and was able to get a quick interview at LAX (somebody must have canceled).  I think it best for someone who has International connecting flights, as you have to clear immigration/customs at your first point of entry and this really speeds it up.

- When you get back to LAX, you hit the kiosk, which prints out a little slip for you to take the the immigration desk.  No more scrambling to find a pen to fill out that damn entry form on the plane anymore. 

- BIGGEST perk at LAX: you know those long ass lines after people clear immigration and get their bag and then have to clear the customs desk?  Yep....they're no longer a concern.  There is line down the middle for Global Entry, similar to the one for pilots/flight attendants.  You basically walk up and the customs guy will call you over next ahead of the "huddled masses" waiting in the long line.  I think it took me about 20 minutes to go through immigration, get my bags and clear customs last time, and 95% of that was the time spent waiting for my bag.

- be sure to register your "Trusted Traveler" I.D. number with all of your airline/frequent flier programs.  I didn't know that SW implemented PreCheck at LAX and didn't enter my info.  If it is entered with your info or when you buy the ticket, a notation prints on your boarding pass, allowing you to use the PreCheck lane -- leave your shoes on, etc.  Much more pleasant way to go through security.  

With that said, I DID go through PreCheck in Austin on my way back to LAX, and it wasn't all that convenient -- they combined the PreCheck lane with the "customers needing assistance" lane, so I think it may have actually taken longer (although I got to leave my shoes on!)

Sorry we're not going to be Pattaya at the same time, but come back to this thread and give us your thoughts after you have a chance to try Global Entry -- I think you're going to LOVE it.  I really hate waiting in long lines and it cuts that to minimum.

Let me know if you have any questions

Great info Footy.  Thanks 

I signed up, it's great.  Some airports like SFO have TSA express lines, you show your ID and go through security quickly, no removing shoes, etc.

When I returned from BKK to SFO, I skipped the line, went straight to the kiosk, got my approval printed out in less than 10 seconds, walked straight to baggage claim.

Excellent article on this matter:

Nice article.  Thanks

Great post all, I just look at it on line, I have a sentri card and this is what I got:

• Global Entry Benefit: As a SENTRI member, you can now use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable U.S. passport. Do not use your SENTRI card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your SENTRI membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found athttp://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry kiosks, please disregard this message.

A SMART MONKEY IS A MONKEY THAT DOESN'T MONKEY WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY.

I was just approved for and booked my interview.  The nearest appointment was 6 weeks away.

So if its only available at US ports, and only to US and Canadian citizens, its hardly "global" is it?

Well done to "world champions" Seattle too for winning in a sport that only a handful of countries play in.

I was considering it but decided the $100 would be wasted.

Last year a guy and his wife in line next to me were bitterly complaining (well, mostly the wife, the guy was just busy unpacking his computer) that they had "yet again" been randomly chosen to be refused the TSA Pre line and were forced to go through the regular screening.  When I asked them, they said they were frequent international travelers that had had their Global IDs cards for over a year.

But apparently the card does not guarantee you access to the TSA Pre screening line.  The system can randomly force you to go through regular screening by not printing the "TSA Pre" checkmark on your ticket.  They said showing the guards the Gobal IDs card won't help, and they'll still refuse you access if your boarding pass doesn't have the special pass printed.

The guy said he was only denied about 25% of the time, but his wife was being denied over 50% of the time.  That day they happened to have been both denied.

Also, the Goal IDs does not give you any special pass for US Customs.  You only get to bypass the passport check by using the automated kiosk.  Your bags (and computer, and camera, etc etc) are still subjected to searches by US Customs like everyone else.

So bottom line, you pay $100 so that you maybe might sometimes not have to take off your shoes or computer from your bag.  Or maybe not.  You won't know until you get your printed boarding pass.

Fuck that noise.

I'd rather give my $100 to a deserving single mother in LOS  

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

Some erroneous information in this thread. I'll try to clear it up.

But apparently the card does not guarantee you access to the TSA Pre screening line.  The system can randomly force you to go through regular screening by not printing the "TSA Pre" check mark on your ticket.  They said showing the guards the Gobal IDs card won't help, and they'll still refuse you access if your boarding pass doesn't have the special pass printed.

Nothing "guarantees" a passenger access to TSA Pre in that anyone can be denied access because of a random check or another reason. However, a Global Entry card will almost always give you access. I've flown 50 domestic flights in the U.S. since TSA Pre began in Oct. 2011 and never had a problem. Former colleagues of mine who fly even more frequently also report no problems using the Global Entry card ASSUMING the information the airline has on file matches the personal name record (PNR) of the TSA. It has to match exactly and even GE members have to give the airline the ID number associated with the PNR. That's the step where some travelers have fallen down.

In my experience, showing the Global Entry card does work even if TSA Pre is not printed on your boarding pass. I didn't get TSA Pre on my boarding pass three times of 50 and each of those times I got to use the expedited security lane by showing the card. Either the man and wife did something wrong, like failing to keep their PNR info up to date, or special factors are at play. Their experience isn't typical.

Also, the Goal IDs does not give you any special pass for US Customs.  You only get to bypass the passport check by using the automated kiosk.  Your bags (and computer, and camera, etc etc) are still subjected to searches by US Customs like everyone else.

Again, not exactly accurate. It's true that CBP officers have the right to search anyone's luggage if they have reason to be suspicious, but they seldom inspect anyone who presents a "ticket" from the Global Entry kiosk to them. I've made about 25 entries to the U.S. since I enrolled in Global Entry and never once been pulled over for secondary inspection.

Also, there are now dedicated Global Entry lanes for Customs at many (but not all) U.S. entry points. That's a huge advantage because it's often at Customs where the biggest bottleneck is, especially if you end up behind passengers off a flight arriving from India, Africa or the Middle East. Once you have your luggage, you go via the Global Entry lane straight to the front of the Customs line. That pisses off the people who've waited an hour to clear immigration control and another hour in the Customs line, but it's great for me.

So if its only available at US ports, and only to US and Canadian citizens, its hardly "global" is it?

Well done to "world champions" Seattle too for winning in a sport that only a handful of countries play in.

The U.S."Trusted Traveler" program allows U.S. citizens with ePassports and Global Entry approval to use automated kiosks in Australia and New Zealand. Kiosks can also be used in the Netherlands, South Korea and Mexico, but in those countries, U.S. citizens also have to enroll in a special "entry" program administered by the respective countries. You can read about it here: http://www.globalentry.gov/otherprograms.html.

It's a reciprocal agreement, and the citizens of those countries can join Global Entry and use the automated U.S. kiosks. Also, citizens of the U.K., Germany and Qatar can join Global Entry, but there's no reciprocal program for U.S. citizens.

I've been a member of Global Entry almost since its inception and it's saved me many hours over the years. Slowly it's gaining popularity. My trip to the U.S. in December was the first time I saw more than one or two people using the kiosks - and it was only a line of about ten.

The World Series? That's an old chestnut. The term dates back to at least 1903, perhaps even earlier. It referred to a series of games of the best professional baseball in the world at that time. Also, the rival American and National Leagues, totally separate entities in that day, each claimed to be the U.S. champion. The two leagues wouldn't agree to a championship series if either had to relinquish the title of U.S. champion, so they decided to kick up a notch. Some called it the World Championship of Baseball, but eventually, the term World Series won out. Even the early proponents of U.S. professional baseball were very aware it wasn't a global championship- they said so explicitly- but felt it was the best baseball in the world and hoped it would spread to other countries. I remember reading an early blurb from Spalding, a sporting goods company, that said the day would come when other nations would compete in the World Series. That never happened, but the thought was there in the beginning.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I didn't get TSA Pre on my boarding pass three times of 50 and each of those times I got to use the expedited security lane by showing the card.  

Also, there are now dedicated Global Entry lanes for Customs at many (but not all) U.S. entry points.  

You call my comments "erroneous" but then go on to confirm my comments with your own?  That is an interesting style of debating ;)

So in your own experience you've sometimes not received the TSA Pre designation on your boarding pass.  The fact that you were still able to talk you way past the TSA guard sounds like the unusual exception.  I actually saw the couple present their cards to the TSA guard and try that, but they were flatly refused.  I even asked the TSA guard myself and he said point blank that the card doesn't guarantee you access to the expedited screening, and he has seen that numerous times, and they (the TSA guards) only allow past people with the printed notation on your boarding pass.  The TSA guards who let you past in your cases broke the rules for you.

While some airports may be starting to provide dedicated lanes for US Customs, my main comment was to correct the misinformation that people expected the card to also give them a pass past Customs checks.  That may have been the case of your personal experience, but unless you're a senior official in the Dept of Homeland Security, there's no way you have access to any kind of data to back up your statement beyond your couple dozen personal trips.  When I talked to officials at a couple airports about the program, they always consistently gave me the same answer that the Global IDs card does not give anyone any kind of special consideration for the Customs screening (though dedicated lanes would be new).

And I'll also add that on one occasion I saw the entire bank of Global IDs kiosks dead, with a line of very pissed off looking people standing around.  And I never saw any tech try to fix those machines the entire time I was in line.  So, it also doesn't seem like keeping the kiosks actually working is much of a priority.

I hope you continue to have good luck with your card, but the reality is that it's still a crap shoot every trip if the card will let you avoid hassles.

So buyer beware.  I'd suggest anyone considering spending the $100 confirm the facts first-hand at the interview station before they hand over their hard-earned cash.

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

I don't recall anyone saying that it gets you through Customs with no possibility of being checked, but that definitely would not inaccurate statement -- everyone is subject to being checked at Customs.  My luck has been about the same with Global Entry as it was without it - I think I was stopped only once in about 10 years before getting Global Entry, and I haven't been stopped at all since getting it.  

As I noted above, the advantage is the ability to avoid the lines at Immigration and the lines at Customs.  Honestly, I'm not in a position to "need" it -- my typical first point of entry is LAX, where I live, so I'm not in a rush to make a connecting flight.  Those who typically need to make a connection can save valuable time with it (as I watched them do at DFW on a connecting flight from Mexico BEFORE I had it).  I just hate waiting in long, slow moving lines.

Can't give much feedback on TSA Precheck, which I just considered a nice "throw in" to Global Entry.  I thought that if you are flying Internationally, you cannot use PreCheck, but I just read that is incorrect and it can be used (moot for me, since I've been flying Cathay and Asian airlines that are not part of PreCheck).  I can give more info on this issue after next weekend, as I am flying to Mexico, but connect in Houston on the way there (non-stop to LAX on the way back).  I'll see if I am able to use it when I go LAX - IAH or if my final destination (Mexico) bumps me from being able to use it.

When I travel domestically, I usually fly Southwest, and I think they just got PreCheck at LAX. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until I got to LAX and, because Southwest didn't have my info and didn't note PreCheck on my boarding pass, it did me no good (but I remedied that on the way home).  

I broke down the decision to get Global Entry like this:

I travel Internationally at least 3 times a year, and Global Entry is good for 5 years....that works out to 15 trips or a little over $6.50 each time I use it (not including TSA PreCheck, which costs something like $80 on its own).  

Walking past the huge backlog of people waiting to get through immigration and waiting in the Customs line is well worth that to me, even IF I get pulled by Customs and that slows me down.  

As they say in LOS, "up to you"! 

Archived