Elendil

Pattaya between 60's 90's video

Elendil

I found a video on youtube that showing Pattaya between 60's to 90's. I was too young at this time but you can recognize some places like beach road.

Do you recognize other places?

Ex-younger, what is the best period for you? Before or now?

The evolution is impressive.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQGe8svJDVA

roodlesnouter

Great Vid, enjoyed watching. Really interesting to see how it had developed over the years. Some great photos in there too.

Sesoto

Amazing how we can fuck up paradise in only thirty years! :Oops3:

analedi

what a Transformation. I agree with Sesoto. such a pity

Phrakhanong

I did some research on Pattaya's history not so long ago... the old photos in that video are all available online.  Nicely put together though :)  Reminds me of when I first set foot in Pattaya at the start of the 80s... tallest buildings were the Montien and Merlin in the centre of the bay (Merlin is now the Hard Rock).  A lot of the "shacks" on the ocean side of what is now Walking Street are still there interestingly enough... just that a lot of their frontages have been heavily dressed up with trim and neon.

rastafari

I did some research on Pattaya's history not so long ago... the old photos in that video are all available online.  Nicely put together though :)  Reminds me of when I first set foot in Pattaya at the start of the 80s... tallest buildings were the Montien and Merlin in the centre of the bay (Merlin is now the Hard Rock).  A lot of the "shacks" on the ocean side of what is now Walking Street are still there interestingly enough... just that a lot of their frontages have been heavily dressed up with trim and neon.

I was staying in pattaya for about 1 year around 1983 and returned for the first time in 27 years in 2010 .

I couldn.t believe how the place had grown .I.d say 10 fold easy.

When I was there in 1983 it was beach rd mainly for open beer bars and Walking Street for disco's

Then the simon bar for tranny shows and marine bar for thai boxing and more beer bars.

I only remember about 3 or 4 go-gos at the most off walking st.

In those days the girlies used to go to KN travel just on south pattaya rd about 100 yds up from beach rd to get their airmail translated .

The second rd had very few bars shops .it was pretty undeveloped with an open market there.

I use to visit my girlfriends mum via dirt tracks who lived in a wooden shack.

It was surrounded by fish ponds and those pendulum tri-pod fishnets that trapped shrim to make the homemade nam pla.

That area with the ponds is now LK Metro and soi baukhaou .

South pattaya rd was undeveloped after the junction with 2nd rd with the odd house and bungalows dotted along it towards sukumvit rd.

You used to get the QE11 and the US fleet docking just off shore.

Just imagine the buzz around with 5, 000 horny young sailors dying to empty their sacks.pattaya went mad with booze and fighting and The navy military police beating lumps outta the drunken sailors.

Ah happy days.

Phrakhanong

Hey Rastafari,

Must have been a huge surprise to see Pattaya 27 years later... no large department stores, no 7-Elevens, and yep you are right, there was bugger all on the other side of 2nd Road.  Everything was either on Beach Road or within the sois running between Beach and 2nd.  I was in town quite a few times in the 1980s when a navy carrier group came in... they created quite an atmosphere LOL... with the shore patrol presence and all the bars flying navy or marine banners, it felt like a totally different place for that 3-5 day period.

rastafari

Hey Rastafari,

Must have been a huge surprise to see Pattaya 27 years later... no large department stores, no 7-Elevens, and yep you are right, there was bugger all on the other side of 2nd Road.  Everything was either on Beach Road or within the sois running between Beach and 2nd.  I was in town quite a few times in the 1980s when a navy carrier group came in... they created quite an atmosphere LOL... with the shore patrol presence and all the bars flying navy or marine banners, it felt like a totally different place for that 3-5 day period.

Hi phrakhanong.

I loved it when the us fleet arrived as it meant I was able to join in the drinking binges with guys my own age (22-23yrs) speaking english which wasn.t that common as german speakers and arabs escaping the iraq /iran where in the majority at that time.

The us navy MPs had a little wooden/glass booth opposite where mikes shopping centre would be now by the steps at the beach.

Yip banners and flags everywhere welcoming the US fleet to pattaya.

The girls made whoopy for those 5 day visits and my bird use to say the girls where complaining about their sore pussys.

You had to go to the post office to make international phone calls.

Also it was bt300 for short time and bt500 for long time .

Things were very lax then if you took a girl from a bar we would barfine for the 1st night then the girl would jack her job in and we.d shack up with them for a week or two till they had to go back on the game again , we didn.t have much money so couldn.t fund or sponsor the girls.

Now that I.m an ould cunt of 50+ yrs there.d be no freebies for me like in my twenties. .

Cheers

Vessey

Loved the clip, and interesting that we have BMs with memories of the early days of Pattaya

geo123

Nice Video.

really interesting to see the change

midge

Hi phrakhanong.

I loved it when the us fleet arrived as it meant I was able to join in the drinking binges with guys my own age (22-23yrs) speaking english which wasn.t that common as german speakers and arabs escaping the iraq /iran where in the majority at that time.

The us navy MPs had a little wooden/glass booth opposite where mikes shopping centre would be now by the steps at the beach.

Yip banners and flags everywhere welcoming the US fleet to pattaya.

The girls made whoopy for those 5 day visits and my bird use to say the girls where complaining about their sore pussys.

You had to go to the post office to make international phone calls.

Also it was bt300 for short time and bt500 for long time .

Things were very lax then if you took a girl from a bar we would barfine for the 1st night then the girl would jack her job in and we.d shack up with them for a week or two till they had to go back on the game again , we didn.t have much money so couldn.t fund or sponsor the girls.

Now that I.m an ould cunt of 50+ yrs there.d be no freebies for me like in my twenties. .

Cheers

I remember this time the US navy come in town

the thai get every 100 meters a Van that the boys

could change quickly the dollars in bath to spend it

arround for beer and girls.555.Funny to see.Cheers.

Schwarzenegger

Pattaya was really nice back in the days...

Phrakhanong

Pattaya was really nice back in the days...

Yes and no... it's a lot more polished these days, and all the creature comforts of home are now here.  There was less to do in the old days (during the day) and fewer options with respect to things like cinema, food, shopping.  You pretty much just spent the day at the pool or on the beach, and the night wandering along Beach Road and the Strip (Walking Street).  Attitudes were better then though.

easylite05

oh i see 1 h ago another one here

papabear1960

Yes I have a lot of vidio's in the early eighty's but they are all on VHS tapes ,there are a lot taken in Patpong  Bangkok :GoldenSmile1:

just hanging

I was in Bangkok in 1968, that was another amazing change...... pretty basic back then

filibuster

Does anyone have any links to pics of girls with US servicemen in Pattaya during the 60s/early 70s (Vietnam era)?  I've seen pics from Bangkok, and the various airbases dotted around the country, but not Pattaya.

Edited by filibuster