Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Advice Needed: Living/working for 5 months in Thailand

MexiDan

Hi everyone.  I have posted this question on the sister site, Bangkok Addicts, as most of my experience in Thailand was mongering in Pattaya.  I tend to get off the plane and catch a taxi right to Pattaya, but I will be in Bangkok for 5 months for work and could use some advice from the board brethren as I haven't received any responses for my query on the other board.

In May, I move to Bangkok for 5 months for work.  I have completed most of my research and these are the holes that I still have in my research and for which i seek advice.

1.  Business Suites:  Rather than bring business attire, I figure that I will just by new attire in Thailand, and afterward bring it home.  My question is, would I be better off (is it cheaper) to buy it from a suit guy in Bangkok or Pattaya.  I arrive two weeks before I start work, so time isnt of the essence (I dont need it in one-two days). The tailor that I have used in the past is on Soi Diana and seemed like a good enough guy, but I dont know if his quality and prices are comparable to others.

2.  Housing.  I am thinking of staying at Joly Suites (corner of Rama IX and Ratchadapisek Roads,MRT Rama 9 exit 1)  (http://www.jollysuites.com/JOLLY_SUITES_%26_SPA/HOME.html).    Is this a good fit in terms of ease of travel via public transport from work to home?  Is it near any of the mongering action for post-work activities?  Is 9,000B/mo. pretty reasonable for this place or as a long term rental?  If not, is there anywhere that is suggestable that I look at/into?  Im a pretty simple guy, so it seems that the plan is ok, but I dont know. 

3.  Mongering on arrival before my work contract starts.  Im thinking of taking the first few days when I get in-country getting settled by going to Pattaya first to get some fun out of my system before focusing on work, then going back to Bangkok where I will set up my nest and get ready for my work contract.  Thoughts on whether this is a good idea or should I set myself up in Bangkok first?  

4.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dan

I would recommend getting set up in BKK first, unless you're talking about two weeks time before you start your job.

You might want to get settled in before you start venturing too far from your home base.

There's a lot of places to buy clothing in Pratoo Nahm (Watergate). You might not even need to have them tailor made, unless you're really tall or really fat.

As far as renting at Jolly Suites and the transit to your job, we don't know where you will be working.

It's far enough from the main P4P scene not to encourage you to go mongering or boozin' every night, which is a plus IMHO.

It also says on their site that they're only 3 minutes walk from a BTS station.

up to you

Thanks for the advice!

I will be in Thailand in Mid April.  I do not start at work in Bangkok until May 1.

I will be working in Fortune Town IT Center, corner of Rama IX and Ratchadapisek Roads,MRT Rama 9 exit 1.

I have been to Pattaya several times and usually spend a month at a time there.  It is going to be different to be in Bangkok for 5 months, have responsibility (some), and not monger everyday!

I would recommend getting set up in BKK first, unless you're talking about two weeks time before you start your job.

You might want to get settled in before you start venturing too far from your home base.

There's a lot of places to buy clothing in Pratoo Nahm (Watergate). You might not even need to have them tailor made, unless you're really tall or really fat.

As far as renting at Jolly Suites and the transit to your job, we don't know where you will be working.

It's far enough from the main P4P scene not to encourage you to go mongering or boozin' every night, which is a plus IMHO.

It also says on their site that they're only 3 minutes walk from a BTS station.

It reads like you'll be living right on top of where you work, which would be good.

I did the same thing when I worked in Chiang Mai for a year. The only thing between my apartment & the workplace was a shopping mall. I had dinner there in the mall most evenings and indulged in their outdoor beer garden during the colder months.

up to you

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies.  I have looked at the travel maps and now realized that I probably want to live near Asoke MRT.  Where I was only going to pay B9000/mo, I am now going to probably pay more.  I am ok with this, but I want to find something comparable to what I was going to stay in before, condition wise, without too big a jump in costs.  Best that I have found so far is B17000/mo.  Any suggestions?

Archived