IGNORED

Help with a common expression

Love_to_eat_Thai

Need help with the attached audio file, I'm struggling to even spell the thing, let alone work out exactly what it means & when is appropriate to use it.

export.mp3

Sounds like the English word "annoy" to me.

Could it be an-noi  as in small,few?

อันน้อย

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I hear nueai - tired.

but then pronounciation is a bit strange

But not easy to tell, the audio quality is bad

could also be "nuoy"

Having spent most of the morning googling my arse off and listening to it over and over I think it might be

มากเลย

mak loei

with the Thai people swallowing the ก 'cos they're lazy buggers.

Having spent most of the morning googling my arse off and listening to it over and over I think it might be

มากเลย

mak loei

with the Thai people swallowing the ก 'cos they're lazy buggers.

yes, this would fit the pronounciation.

good job in extrapolating, with that audio quality, I'd never have guessed.

I'm hearing 'mah noi' which I assume to be an abbreviated version of 'kor mah nee noi dai mai kap' which is roughly 'beg come bit can do ?'  It's a more polite version of 'mah nee' = 'come this' to mean 'come here'

The 'noi' is used to soften the request.

A lot of you know how to ask for beer , 'aow bier Sing kap' = want Singha beer, a more polite version would be, 'kor bier Sing noi dai mai kap' = 'beg beer Singha bit can do ?'

I'm hearing 'mah noi' which I assume to be an abbreviated version of 'kor mah nee noi dai mai kap' which is roughly 'beg come bit can do ?'  It's a more polite version of 'mah nee' = 'come this' to mean 'come here'

The 'noi' is used to soften the request.

A lot of you know how to ask for beer , 'aow bier Sing kap' = want Singha beer, a more polite version would be, 'kor bier Sing noi dai mai kap' = 'beg beer Singha bit can do ?'

NO!

you are asking permission to have a beer!

'kor bier Sing noi dai mai kap' = 'beg beer Singha bit can do ?'

It's a bit redundant, using Kor and Dai Mai in the same sentence.

up to you

you sure lads ? http://www.transum.org/diary/language.htm

Not trying to have a pissing contest, but I would like to learn the correct way.

I took kor as 'beg'. Like very sorry kor tord, literally beg punish. Not permission punish. Could all be in the context it's used thou. I gave up learning Thai when I read the tone rules . . .

I'd accept what's written on tinternet may not be the same as language used in day to day life.

Holy crap dude, don't use that site to help you, those transliterations are atrocious in some cases.

Aeroplane - Kroong bin - should be Kreuang Bin (Flying Machine)

All week - Ta lorn atit - should be Dtaloht Ahtit    

Ant - Mod - Thais pronounce a D in a final consonant position as a T, so MOT

Arm - Kern - This one is just wrong, it's Kaan, as in Scan or Ran.

up to you

It's a bit redundant, using Kor and Dai Mai in the same sentence.

Thais often use redundance, because of lot of Thais have themselves trouble to always understand all the tones correctly.

Thais have themselves trouble to always understand all the tones correctly.

I have never experienced that, unless they're partially deaf.

up to you

you sure lads ? http://www.transum.org/diary/language.htm

Not trying to have a pissing contest, but I would like to learn the correct way.

I took kor as 'beg'. Like very sorry kor tord, literally beg punish. Not permission punish. Could all be in the context it's used thou. I gave up learning Thai when I read the tone rules . . .

I'd accept what's written on tinternet may not be the same as language used in day to day life.

As bdw says, do yourself a favour and delete that link from your computer - so many mistakes in there!

Kor tord , for example does not have any "R" sounds. Transliteration is never perfect, but I believe that Kaw toht is much more accurate.

I don't see kaw toht as "beg punish", but as a combination of kaw - request and toht - to blame. So, I think sort of "Sorry- my fault"

'kor bier Sing noi dai mai kap' 

With serving staff, you would not usually use kaw or krap. Too subservient. Adding noi and dai mai indicates that you consider yourself on a much lower social level than the serving staff. If you actually know the staff member, then you might use krap.

"Ow bier sihng, koo-at neung"

im pretty sure thats( ma-noy ) (come here) with a heavy issan accent.

it would be better if you had more than 1 sec of audio..LOL.  

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Archived