IGNORED

Taking a kid out of Thailand

Gadget

In April I will be taking my daughter back to the UK for a couple of weeks, only me and her, she has both passports, but what I need to know is do I need special permission to take her back alone, baring in mind peados and all that, mothers fine with it, so that's not an issue.

Anyone been in the same boat?

Child trafficking is a big issue, along with child abduction, so some caution would be in order here. I am not an expert on Thailand, but I do know in the Philippines, where I have a 4 year old daughter, traveling through immigrations can involve proof of parental rights (birth certificate) and permission of the other parent. Philippines has a form that can be filled out by the other parent, signed and stamped. A foreigner leaving the country with a child can, and usually does, raise a few flags. Would recommend you look into those things in Thailand.

Just my experience so take it for what it is worth.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

Yes that's what I've heard, thanks for your reply, need to look into this.

Yes that's what I've heard, thanks for your reply, need to look into this.

Hi contact your embassy for the full monty i also think you need to show funds to support the visit, also consent from mum and her proof of ID, mate i will be moving to sri racha soon and drove thru only yesterday im back up isaan at my house so you could be a handy pal to have :GoldenSmile1: ps dont leave it to the last minute as this could take some time to sort out best get on the case monday :Think1:

• 2 weeks later...

There might be an issue if your surnames are not the same on the passports. Does she have your name or her Mums?  if not yours best to carry proof you are her father just in case.

But I travel a lot with my daughter as I am a single dad and her mum is thai. But she lives with me and I have custody. .  She has both passports Thai and UK but she has my surname.  We have never had an issue so far. We have travel to Thailand twice in the last 6 months and not had an issue.

When she travel with my Mum who has a different surname I had to write a letter with my permission on and all my contact details and gave her a photocopy of my passport etc in case of any issues.

i started travelling ALONE with my daughter when she was like 4.  to Bali, Singapore, Camboodia, America,

her last name same as mine

holds us and thai passport

never any questions anywhere

• 1 month later...

Have your wife check with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or check their website) to see what the official requirements are.  Most likely they will just let you through but probably better to have the right paper work (official permission letter from spouse) to avoid any problems.

Been up the local Gov office, they've given us a letter that both of us had to sign saying she's allowed to leave the country, cost 100 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine recently went back to Canada and took his 1 year old son who has a Canadian passport and same surname. They would not let him go without permission from the mother. The mother was there so he had to call the mother to talk to the officer and then they let him go. 

Been up the local Gov office, they've given us a letter that both of us had to sign saying she's allowed to leave the country, cost 100 baht.

How long is the letter valid for?

Archived