IGNORED

Pattaya Beer Garden - Progress Report

PattayaPete

I am really enjoying the process of building this bar. Ten years ago when I started FLB I was so wary of being ripped off, befuddled by bureaucracy and screwed over by tradesmen that I really did not have time to enjoy the process.

This time round I know much more than I did then and feel much more secure dealing with the Thais. In fact I’ve had such a good experience with the Thais surrounding this project I’m starting to wonder if I’m dreaming. Progress has been spot on with the timetable I drew up and if anything we are a little ahead of schedule. Quotes have been reasonable and work has been done up to scratch and on time.

The one thing which makes me nervous is the fear of not delivering on what I have promised. The talk around town and on the forum about this bar has been very positive. Lots of people have said they feel this is just what Pattaya needs and they are looking forward to checking it out. Quite a few have expressed confidence that I am the man to get it done right, as well. I hope they are right! It is certainly my mission to meet and hopefully exceed expectations but it still makes me nervous.

Hers a few pics of the work in progress.

282749-3.jpg

The Big Bar starts to take shape

282749-4.jpg

70 meters of bar. It sure looks big to me.

282749-5.jpg

This huge piece of metal is actually one of the speaker brackets

282749-6.jpg

Here’s the very securely placed ladder used to install the speaker brackets

282749-7.jpg

And a guy welding it into place

282749-8.jpg

The same guy dead after he fell off the ladder. Not really . . . just tired after working so hard.

282749-9.jpg

282749-10.jpg

The bar starts to get some colour.

I was hoping to be a bit more detailed about all the various things that have to be done to make a project like this fly but of course, now we are in the thick of it time seems to be short and I have not been as diligent as I’d prefer.

One funny story though was shopping for the big bars granite top. As there is 70 meters of bar and we have two surfaces to cover I was expecting it to be expensive. Once we arrived at the granite shop Ann who has expensive taste immediately picked out the most expensive granite they had. It was marked as 4,200 baht per metre. I just about shat myself. A quick calculation worked out at 588,000 just for the bar tops.

Fortunately it turns out that price is for one metre square and we only need 35 odd sq metres per surface so at 294,000 baht I’m feeling a bit better. Then it turns out that this particular granite is from Italy and the Thais make an identical style locally and it’s only 500 baht per sq metre so that’s now 35,000 baht. Man, I didn’t have a clue but the price went from 588,000 baht to 35,000 baht in about two minutes. That put a smile on my face.

Recruiting has been going well. We are paying over the norm and are getting some really good applicants as a result. The biggest relief was to finally hire our head Chef. The woman we found is just perfect and she has already been helping me knock the kitchen design and menu into shape. Thanks to everyone who prompted a friend to apply. I think we have just about hired everyone proposed by a board member but we do have a few more to follow up on. We are still looking for a few more service staff so if you know someone who may be interested tell them to call Ann on 081-826-4409.

Songkran is just a few days away and I’m hoping to get most of the work done before the craziness starts. Trying to get deliveries will be hell while water madness is taking place so the pressure is really on. The sound system should be complete tomorrow, bar stools arrive on Thursday, TV’s arrive Friday and the brackets are already in place.

The big job still waiting some serious action is the Kitchen but now our Chef is on the case I expect that to come together quickly. Our industrial strength beer fridges which have been made to order arrive on the 17th and that is one of the most important things.

I’ve spoken with a few freelancers about the project and they have all been quite enthusiastic about the new venue. Still they are the least controllable and probably the most important aspect of the place. We have some great promotions ready to launch to help drag them in and introduce them to the bar. More on this once the opening is at hand.

Our firm dates for opening our now 20 April soft opening. It could be a little dodgy from a service point of view for the first few days as we work out all the bugs in the system and do some serious staff training. We still look good for the official opening party on the 29th April. I hope to see lots of you there.

Pete

282749-11.jpg

282749-12.jpg

Pattaya Beer Garden Website

I hope I get to have a beer there before I have to head back, We will stop in to see how you doing for sure though. Sorry we will miss the Opening as we leave on the 27th, but I am sure you will gets some pictures. I would have loved to shoot some video of that. Good luck, hope to see you in a few days :D:Party1:

Great report. Thanks! Will be spending a lot of time there my trip. Looking forward to the grand opening event as well.

Best o luck

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

Hello PattayaPete,

I remember when the construction started and I tried to peek in and look. Well it is looking nice and I will definitely be a customer seeing I also stop for a few at a small beer bar in the front right on beach road.

Best of luck :Party1:

looks great.good location also. will sertainly hump by;

Good luck

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/37.jpg&text=nut%20house&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2008&month=10&day=7&hour=17&minute=0&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle"

PP, The place is starting to take shape looking forward to having a few beers in your new place and thanks for the update.

She Loves Me I Love United That's Life !!!

Man UTD Isn't Just A Team, Its A RELIGION !

You can be my Wife but only for Tonight !

great stuff, it should be a fun job getting the girls in!! need a hand? lol

Nice to see things taking shape Pete, will be popping in for a beer in a couple of weeks. Hope all is well for 29th as myself and plenty od other Addicts about.

Best of luck.

This is great news. I used to go to the Biergarden in BKK and loved the concept. This will be my first place to visit when I will go to Pattaya in a few weeks. I hope you will open early enought (noon) to have some day time action as well!!!

Its exactly what pattaya needs I just hope you can break the old habits. At the mo we have 500 guys sitting alone all afternoon in 500 different bars. Will be very interesting to see if you can great the mindset. I remember you from the early days on wanking street and if anyone can pull it off I thinks its probably you.

best of luck Ill be there for sure.

Great news mate the, place is looking great. Good to see your welding follows vigorous health and safety guidelines.... welders mask, gloves, steel toecap boots! lol Only in LOS!!!

Looking forword to having a beer here in July, hope the construction goes smoothly.

Pete,

Have followed your posts, and good luck on this. Ideal spot to start, or end the night for a no-hasstle beer with yout TGF.

Me and my mate are in Patt's 16th - 29th, so will miss the official opening, but if you can accommodate us for a few beers at

soft opening dates, then happy to report back to all that are interested.

Best of luck anyway, and am back in September for 3 weeks, so if we do not touch base this time, then sept for sure.

!!!!!!!!

Will miss the opening on the 29th, but will be there just 2 days later for sure :-) Looks like a great place to chill ... though I have to keep my fingers crossed if it will draw the FLs in within the first few days itself.

looking forward to the opening ,will be there for both dates,so will defobe in for a few drinks,its in a great location,good luck orthe future mate,cheerz,

pattaya loves me long time

Have a real good feeling about this place :D ...Will definitely call in on the 29th, The very best of luck for the opening, but I feel confident you wont need it in the long term :c45ec00b::P:Chokdee::Chokdee:

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

Well i hope it is successful, i will drop in on opening night or soon after to check the place out.

Cheers for the updates and pictures...

"Talk to Jesus"

I'm comming in late June - so I am sure all of the kinks will be worked out by the time I arrive. I am going to be staying in the Galaxy suites...and from the map that you provided on the website it seems to be right around the corner. So I have a feeling this place could become a second home to me during the day.

From reading all of the stories about the beergarden in Bangkok...I am very excited about this place.

Don't want to jinx it or anything but I think I am in agreement with many others when I say this place sounds like a slam dunk. But good luck nonetheless.