IGNORED

Amata Springs

Skalliwag

Just had the pleasure of playing it day before yesterday.

Absolutely fucking superb.

Yet to play a better one in Thailand.

Was still in the same set up for the Thailand Open.Rough was great,greens were perfection.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Agree..A Great course to play and not that far from Pattaya...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

is it members only ???? and price?? looks fantastic

You do have to know a member.Not like Siam.

Know the director of golf there.

want to go again when I get there???

Maybe.Will see.

Agree..A Great course to play and not that far from Pattaya...

An hour,pretty close really when you think of it.

Great membership deal as well.

Just had the pleasure of playing it day before yesterday.

Absolutely fucking superb.

Yet to play a better one in Thailand.

Was still in the same set up for the Thailand Open.Rough was great,greens were perfection.

Agreed, I enjoyed it when I played there.  Potential for a good score there (whatever your h/c) if you play sensible golf, as there are "options" available.   

No tipping for caddies allowed, still the go ?

Which tees did you play from ?    + or - your handicap ?

Just for interest, how would you compare it to Siam CC ?

This course reminds me of Lam Chabang in beauty and difficulty...Very Nice day out in the sunshine and pleasant Caddys~~

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

This course reminds me of Lam Chabang in beauty and difficulty...Very Nice day out in the sunshine and pleasant Caddys~~

Don't see too much resemblace myself.  Last time I visited LC was certainly nowhere near the pristine condition of AS.

What did you think the degree of difficulty was?

I am confident it was a nice day in the sunshine with the caddys.  You know what they say, "worst day at golf, better than the best day at work".

It is definitely better than anything here that's for sure.

I have played Alpine,Thai Country Club many times and it is better than those as well.

When I say better,I mean the whole deal.

Thai country club hospitality is world class because of the way we are treated,but Amata is a better golf course by far.

Can't even compare Siam to it.Not even close.

I play Siam twice a week and its a goat track compared to Amata.

Caddie tip was included but I'm not gonna say if we did or didn't sneak a little something to them.Our deal.

The set up has remained the same from when the Thai Open was there.Rough was extremely penal.I shot my cap of 6.Blue tees,no par fives really our of reach.

Are heading back real soon,so will report again.

BTW.Have not played LC for a number of years so cannot compare.The C course on LC may be similar,I could see that.Have real fond memories of LC from 15 years ago.It really was superb back then.

Is Amata Springs open to public? 9 index here. Club member in the states. Cheers!

Carry on my wayward son

Is Amata Springs open to public? 9 index here. Club member in the states. Cheers!

Short answer is No.

longer answer is Skalli already answered this somewhere in the thread...  gotta get an invite from a member I think he said...

It actually is funnily enough.

If you phone,you can get specific times on specific days for 7000 baht all in.

We play with the director of golf there.Great bloke.

Just heard yesterday that Siam Old Course will make it compulsory for members to take power carts as of July 1st and that carts on all Courses will be 1000 baht.Members will now pay 1400 to play,plus the yearly.Frustrating.

Reliable source so we will see what happens.

It's not going to be long before all courses are compulsory carts I think.At least the ones worth playing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is BIG news re Siam CC and will be very contentious.

Reminds me of the old joke, (with the subjects changed) - What is the difference between a 767 and a Pommie Phoenix/Siam CC member?  With the 767 the whining stops when the engine is turned off!!  

There are several courses that are still worth playing that I doubt will go to cart compulsory.  Perhaps not the name/reputation of some self promoted courses, but still well worth playing. 

It seems to me that the courses think it is some validation of them being upscale, if they impose a compulsory cart edict. 

I doubt they will either but TIT,so you never know.

Hi Skalli - this is one course which I have yet to play. Thanks for posting...nice pics (and caddy) :ThumbUp6:

Just played Red Mountain G.C. here in Phuket….by far the best course I have played here in Thailand.The course runs along the top of the mountains along an old tin mine ,with out of this world scenery,created by the movement of earth from the mining.

Carts are compulsory ,but also necessary considering the elevated tees on some of the holes.

Hi Skalli - this is one course which I have yet to play. Thanks for posting...nice pics (and caddy) :ThumbUp6:

Cheers.Still waiting for the photos from my phone to stream to my iPad for Soi Dao.

Fucking wifi.

Marbella - Red Mountain Phuket...awesome! Love the par 3 with the elevated tee (17th?)...superb course.

I could of played Amata Springs after the Thailand Championships for 4500 incl caddy and cart. I still don't think its worth it. Course looked wide open

4500 is certainly NOT cheap, but as a once in a while treat it would be OK.  The course is certainly up there in condition, feel & layout.

I don't understand whether you think it is not worth it because it "looked wide open" or what.  It is like all courses, in that if you are playing well they are "wide open" but if not so well, that is anybody's guess!!

There is sufficient trouble on the course to provide a test to any handicap player, IF they play from the tees appropriate to their standard of golf, while still offering a level of enjoyment.  If a single figure golfer, I would expect to play from at least the Blue tees, or if a low low marker the Blacks may be more appropriate.

I have no idea what your level of play is, so can offer no comment, but while AS may have "looked wide open" on tv, it may prove not to be the case when actually playing it.

We paid considerably less than 4500 because we have a friend there who is the Director of Golf.

Normal member guest rate is 3600 baht all in.

At 3600 it is a steal and I would drive up at least once every two weeks.

The course is wide,but the rough was brutal so whilst it might look like there is a ton of room out there,with the wind we had,it was a brute.

4500 is certainly NOT cheap, but as a once in a while treat it would be OK. The course is certainly up there in condition, feel & layout.

I don't understand whether you think it is not worth it because it "looked wide open" or what. It is like all courses, in that if you are playing well they are "wide open" but if not so well, that is anybody's guess!!

There is sufficient trouble on the course to provide a test to any handicap player, IF they play from the tees appropriate to their standard of golf, while still offering a level of enjoyment. If a single figure golfer, I would expect to play from at least the Blue tees, or if a low low marker the Blacks may be more appropriate.

I have no idea what your level of play is, so can offer no comment, but while AS may have "looked wide open" on tv, it may prove not to be the case when actually playing it.

I walked around it during the championships. I was surprised Stenson took a 3 wood and not a driver as the fairways are so wide. I think 4500 is high when you can play courses like Khao keow, green valley, numerous others for 1500 incl tip

That Stenson took 3 wood may indicate that he knew although the fairways "are so wide" that stray from those "wide" fairways and you get bitten on the arse!  Did you not see the depth of the rough there?

While KK, GV et al can be played for around 1500, I did say that as a "treat" AS is certainly a BIG step up in condition, with the added bonus, (dependent on your point of view), you can compare your playing of a hole, or even just a shot, to the BIG boys.  An opportunity that does not arise at KK, GV et al.

Maybe if you asked the OP he could include you in 1 of his sojourns, as he has a friend there! 

It certainly was a nice looking course but a pain for me to get to as I'm currently in Pattaya but as you say playing it once in a while for 3500 is fine. Do players have to get a boat to the island green 17th? Would have thought that slows up play

Archived