IGNORED

Why does it cost more for a return flight out of LOS than it does in?

retrodude

Prior to moving out here, I'd always assumed it would be cheaper for me to get a return flight from BKK to UK than it would be vice versa, but it seems to cost a few hundred quid more than if I was flying to Bangkok from the UK.

Here's a couple of examples,, I can get a return flight with Emirates from Brum to BKK for £500, but to fly from BKK to Brum the same date would cost me £900. Eva from LHR to BKK is £580, switch it around and it's just over £800..

Can anyone tell me why it costs so much more to fly out of here?

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

Because the UK has always been a cheap tax haven, everything is so low cost here i'm suprised anyone wants to leave  :GoldenSmile1:

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Many years ago it actually was cheaper to fly from Thailand. However, in the last years more Airlines are flying to Thailand and want to fill there seats. They do not get the big numbers of Passengers from Thailand itself, but from other countrys. So if they want to fill there seats, they have to have a good price. 

On the same topic, Thai Air have an Australian site on which one can book flights Oz - BKK return.

I check Thai's BKK site and often it is significantly cheaper; of course you have to pay in Thai Bahts so will incur a bank charge.

Worth checking.

But first of all I look at www.skyscanner.com to see what other airlines' and travel agents' prices are. Jetstar and AirAsia (via KL) are normally cheapest, but the first price on the screen is not what you pay; there are charges for baggage, video, meals and even pay by card (I've read they are wondering how to get a fee for a pee!) So check the bottom line.

I prefer to fly Thai as it is full service and the reward points do add up if you are a regular traveller: after 5 or 6 flights, the next one is a free.

It's the same here in the US.  One way from San Francisco to BKK is cheaper than the other way.   

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

bkk return is classed as a business by airline industry the other way is holiday more open to discounts as explain to by a man who knows....

bkk return is classed as a business by airline industry the other way is holiday more open to discounts as explain to by a man who knows....

Ahh I see, yeah that makes sense.

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

Eighteen months ago I paid the eqivalent of just over £3000 to fly BA Business Class BKK-LHR-Aberdeen. My daughter told me her neighbour paid £5000 for the same trip starting in Aberdeen at around the same time.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Eighteen months ago I paid the eqivalent of just over £3000 to fly BA Business Class BKK-LHR-Aberdeen. My daughter told me her neighbour paid £5000 for the same trip starting in Aberdeen at around the same time.

Lol £3000/£5000 fly to Thailand what a waste of money

You do not get there any quicker

This is a very valid question and one that I put to Netflights.com when I called them 2 months ago.

The answer I got was "It's because we are a UK based company so we can only negotiate with the airlines for cheaper deals on flights which originate from the UK."

I believe Pheat, (above) has answered the question more truthfully than the netflights operator.

Pattaya is like enjoying yourself -it's not for everyone.

On the same topic, Thai Air have an Australian site on which one can book flights Oz - BKK return.

I check Thai's BKK site and often it is significantly cheaper; of course you have to pay in Thai Bahts so will incur a bank charge.

Worth checking.

But first of all I look at www.skyscanner.com to see what other airlines' and travel agents' prices are. Jetstar and AirAsia (via KL) are normally cheapest, but the first price on the screen is not what you pay; there are charges for baggage, video, meals and even pay by card (I've read they are wondering how to get a fee for a pee!) So check the bottom line.

I prefer to fly Thai as it is full service and the reward points do add up if you are a regular traveller: after 5 or 6 flights, the next one is a free.

I think you will find that is BKK-AUS-BKK.

Also. Booking a one way ticket thru THAI is alot more expensive than one leg of a return ticket. No idea why

12 Pints in Know it all

Prior to moving out here, I'd always assumed it would be cheaper for me to get a return flight from BKK to UK than it would be vice versa, but it seems to cost a few hundred quid more than if I was flying to Bangkok from the UK.

Here's a couple of examples,, I can get a return flight with Emirates from Brum to BKK for £500, but to fly from BKK to Brum the same date would cost me £900. Eva from LHR to BKK is £580, switch it around and it's just over £800..

Quite simply, it's the market price.  Emirates is typically around 35-39k Baht, BKK-BHX-BKK on random dates in Feb/Mar.  If you feel the need to convert the price to GBP, it's a lot cheaper than it was 8 months ago, and likely to get cheaper in the near future.  On a brighter note, 5* hotels are comparatively cheap in BKK compared to London.  

Archived