IGNORED

Trouble connecting to wifi...Samsung S4

Mad Max

I am having trouble connecting to the wifi with my S4, to both my hotel wifi and also my android phone on which I have 3G on DTAC sim...

It finds the wifi signal and when I connect, it says optaing iP address but gives upafter a few minutes....

I have never had any problems connecting to wifi at home with wifi connections, only here in patts...

I spoke to the hotel about this and they say they always have problems with Samsung decices, mobile phones and tablets...

Can anyone please advise me how I can resolve this?

Thanks

Max

maybe it requires you to open a browser and enter a password on a webpage

maybe it requires you to open a browser and enter a password on a webpage

Yes,that is what is required but when I try and open the weblink to the sign in, its says redirect_logoff

Yes,that is what is required but when I try and open the weblink to the sign in, its says redirect_logoff

just open the browser and try to navigate to google.com, and you should be redirected to the sign-in page.

just open the browser and try to navigate to google.com, and you should be redirected to the sign-in page.

Tried that too for the past few days....

Sounds like hotel wireless signal is weak. Try connecting at a bar (I-Rover's is a good one) with strong free wireless and see how it goes. If you can connect everywhere else but not in hotel ... Its the hotel's wireless signal.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

universal wifi range extender. its a wall plug which recieves and extends the wifi signal from the modem into dead areas of your home. mine is the netgear wn3000rp model

• 1 month later...

It could be an array of issues causing this, but I'll bet that it's low signal quality.

hotels and such rarely get their WiFi's setup properly, with good channel choices etc.

Also they sometimes just use the consumer routers provided by the ISP (TOT, True, 3BB), and those usually have issues with many connected devices. What also happens in Thailand is that they use a lot of TP-LINK equipment, because it's cheap and has unlimited warranty. TP-LINK sometimes come configured to use a channel width of 40mhz instead of 20mhz standard, that not really an issue. Usually they just switch to 20mhz mode when a phone connects, but sometimes they don't, because it's TP-LINK they are cheap for a reason.

The TP-LINK equipment has problems with some units, usually without any real explanation.

Replacing the TP-LINK AccessPoints usually solves this problem, even with identical equipment and same config-file.

Sometimes they use "range extenders" in Thailand, that are completely wireless.

These work from ok to not at all, they are a mess and should generally be avoided.

They transmit and receive on the same channel as the regular network and causes interferance.

Also, for every extender you use, you will get half the performance of the network, unless you are connecting to the main AccessPoint.

Remeber, signal strength and quality are separate things.

If you have good strength you will se "the bars go up" but maybe you can't still connect. When you ramp up wattage on the AccessPoint you get stronger signal, but you lower the quality. So what you want to have is a balanced setting and even placement of AP's with correct channel setting and have all connected by atleast Cat5e or at best Cat6A.

This might be the reason for the issues you are having, a quick solution would be to try and find the AP and connecting closer to it, your phone would get an IP and retain it. This is only if the IP is the issue, if you aren't getting any IP you connection is probably bad anyways.

Real solution would only be to complain and have them get it fixed, but sometimes they have issues understanding that different equipment works differently well, might be fine on the it-guys laptop, doesn't mean it's actually working fine.

babydollsaddict.gif

Archived