IGNORED

The police are out in force again!

funky310

Seems the police are fund raising again! I got done yesterday on beach road, this time for not having category A1 on my UK licence (to drive 125cc or over). The cheeky scamp took my licence and sent me down to Soi 9 station to pay up before coming back to collect my licence. I obviously wasn't the only one as the place looked like a marrakesh souk. A few thais, but ....surprise surprise, mostly stupid falang like myself. 2 friends told me they got done today too (one got done again after he left the cop shop!!). Others are staying ahead of the game, judging by the number of people I saw walking their Scooters the wrong way down sois 3 - 6.

:Anger8:

Experts warn that a laptop can seriously damage your sperm....

Although in my experience, not as much as sperm can damage your laptop!

*sigh*

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Seems the police are fund raising again! I got done yesterday on beach road, this time for not having category A1 on my UK licence (to drive 125cc or over). The cheeky scamp took my licence and sent me down to Soi 9 station to pay up before coming back to collect my licence. I obviously wasn't the only one as the place looked like a marrakesh souk. A few thais, but ....surprise surprise, mostly stupid falang like myself. 2 friends told me they got done today too (one got done again after he left the cop shop!!). Others are staying ahead of the game, judging by the number of people I saw walking their scooters the wrong way down sois 3 - 6.

They are there everyday rain or shine, takes less than a day out of your life to get the correct license, worth it if you come here regular

Usually towards the end of month so no surprise there...I  limit my driving from the 20th onwards....

Got busted and got 200 baht fine he kept my passport till I returned ..went to cop shop and guy at counter said no 400 baht, I said no 200, he said in thai ( my tgf was with me ) if he not shut up it will be 1000 baht...so i STFU...

It's simple ... make sure you got the right paperwork and you won't have any problems ... 

They are on the junction of Pattaya Klang and third road daily, 80% or those stopped are Thais. They have also been pulling cars that turned left when facing a red light, again mostly Thai drivers

It's simple ... make sure you got the right paperwork and you won't have any problems ... 

Correct there  lucky to get away with a small fine

Seems the police are fund raising again! I got done yesterday on beach road, this time for not having category A1 on my UK licence (to drive 125cc or over). The cheeky scamp took my licence and sent me down to Soi 9 station to pay up before coming back to collect my licence. I obviously wasn't the only one as the place looked like a marrakesh souk. A few thais, but ....surprise surprise, mostly stupid falang like myself. 2 friends told me they got done today too (one got done again after he left the cop shop!!). Others are staying ahead of the game, judging by the number of people I saw walking their scooters the wrong way down sois 3 - 6.

go home or stop nagging..... I heard Spain can be fun aswell, or Blackpool

One of the reasons many of us love Thailand is the absence of a health and safety, rules based type approach of the authorities....I.e their attitude to the sex industry ;)

Seems like it's primarily a revenue generation thing...

I find it strange that so many people come here to LOS without taking thought of licences etc and things that are different than your home country and get bemused why they get fined for breaking the law, at least this time was not called a scam.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Usually towards the end of month so no surprise there...I  limit my driving from the 20th onwards....

Got busted and got 200 baht fine he kept my passport till I returned ..went to cop shop and guy at counter said no 400 baht, I said no 200, he said in thai ( my tgf was with me ) if he not shut up it will be 1000 baht...so i STFU...

That sucks.  I would have sent the TGF to Soi 9 before I let the guy keep my passport!

They are on the junction of Pattaya Klang and third road daily, 80% or those stopped are Thais. They have also been pulling cars that turned left when facing a red light, again mostly Thai drivers

I got done there. I actually stopped but then this old farang guy rode through the red light turning left - so I followed him.The cops were waiting around the corner. lol 400 baht and 2 hours wasted at soi 9

12 Pints in Know it all

Many Thais that are stopped are not carrying that much money, so they hand their ID card over and then collect it later when they pay the fine. (then again some do not bother 555)

No reason to dogpile the OP, many ex-pats come to Thailand and rent a motorbike then get shocked at the different licenses you need just to operate one. This is a designed revenue generator for Thai police because they KNOW not every falang will have his paperwork on him.

Pay the fine with a smile on your face or take the time to get the proper paperwork, those are your options. This is Thailand, their country and their rules.

Many Thais that are stopped are not carrying that much money, so they hand their ID card over and then collect it later when they pay the fine. (then again some do not bother 555)

Thais don't usually get stopped unless it's in a high traffic area. I was riding on a motorbike with my TG and we were not wearing helments, we both got whistled down by the cops, and she kept on driving. To my suprise they did not attempt to chase us down

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

No reason to dogpile the OP, many ex-pats come to Thailand and rent a motorbike then get shocked at the different licenses you need just to operate one. This is a designed revenue generator for Thai police because they KNOW not every falang will have his paperwork on him.

Pay the fine with a smile on your face or take the time to get the proper paperwork, those are your options. This is Thailand, their country and their rules.

Thais don't usually get stopped unless it's in a high traffic area. I was riding on a motorbike with my TG and we were not wearing helments, we both got whistled down by the cops, and she kept on driving. To my suprise they did not attempt to chase us down

You don't need a bunch of paperwork. You just need a motorcycle license.

I'm not sure what is confusing about needing a motorcycle license to operate a motorcycle. If you have one in your home country you can get an IDP to ensure it is legal here. If you don't have a motorcycle license in your home country you shouldn't be allowed to drive one here.

I know some countries don't require a motorcycle license for Scooters under a certain CC but Thailand does.

Here we go again with the police stopping only falung checkpoints.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GENERAL CHECKPOINTS.

Is it a scam? No.

Is it a scam? Yes.

Why is not a scam? Because the police are upholding the letter of the law.

Why is it a scam? Because they only pull over foreigners, guessing that they won't have a Thai or international driver's license. Many, if not most tourists, do not have a Thai or international driver's license when they arrive in Thailand. Many, if not most, have no idea they will rent a motorbike/scooter until they get here. They see them for rent and then they rent them. The police know this. That is why they set up the falung only checkpoints.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GENERAL CHECKPOINTS.

So, as a westerner, you're probably thinking, "Why would they do that? That would be bad for tourism." That's western logic. The police don't give a flying fuck about tourists.

To become police chief here requires a payment (bribe) of several million baht. I've heard from Thai business people that it is as small as 2 million and as large as 15 million baht.

Like a drug dealer, the police chief has to pay that money back. Where is it going to come from?

If you think the police give a flying fuck about the tourism trade in Pattaya, you are sadly mistaken. 

This is one of the reasons, as of this date, the country is on the verge of a civil war.

Now, for you contrarions and "Pattaya experts," I'll repeat again: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GENERAL CHECKPOINTS.

You don't need a bunch of paperwork. You just need a motorcycle license.

I'm not sure what is confusing about needing a motorcycle license to operate a motorcycle. If you have one in your home country you can get an IDP to ensure it is legal here. If you don't have a motorcycle license in your home country you shouldn't be allowed to drive one here.

I know some countries don't require a motorcycle license for scooters under a certain CC but Thailand does.

Do you really think it is that simple for falangs? Thai police can find anything to stop and fine you.

You need an international drivers license and a motorbike license  Thai police could stop any falang right now and they woudn't be able to produce the proper documentation. Who wants to take the time and money do go through that process on vacation? Especially when it is so easy to pay cash and rent a bike and get away with it? It is not a scam, it is a revenue generator for the Thai police.

The only documents a motorcycle rental company will uniformly insist on is CASH MONEY.

They will have little, or no interest in licences, international driving permits, or your current level of intoxication.

LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

• A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle AND,
  • An International Driving Permit. *NB - Some members believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. To obtain a Thai drivers license requires a formal in-person application, as well as hold and be admitted to Thailand on a non-immigrant visa status. This link to the the Department of Land Transportation website explains the procedure.

GENERAL INFORMATION and ADVICE

Motorcycles can be a fun way to move around the Kingdom independently, but remember road accidents are common.

The rate of accidents and fatalities on Thai roads is HORRENDOUS, in fact 40 people a day DIE in Thailand from motorcycle accidents alone. Many more visitors and locals are permanently disfigured or disabled, so it is not recommended for the novice.

• You must carry your National Licence, in case of an accident, or interaction with the Thai Police. 
  • You can not drive intoxicated by drugs or alcohol.
  • Helmets are mandatory. You must wear one, and so must a pillion passenger.
  • Helmets are usually provided as part of the rental, if so, make sure it fits properly or ask for another.
  • Failure to wear a helmet will bring you to the attention of Police - you will be fined at best.
  • Wear protective footwear and clothing to give you some protection should the worst happen.
  • The motorcycle MUST have a tax sticker, registration plates, vehicle registration book, and third party insurance.
  • Motorcycle hire services are available almost everywhere, with rates starting at about 150฿ per day.
  • A cash security deposit of around 1000฿ (ensure you get a receipt) is often required.
  • Only use reputable hire companies, and check that they are licenced to hire bikes to tourists.
  • Before accepting your rental, do an extensive walk-around visual inspection of the vehicle.
  • Note ALL defects or pre-existing damage with the vendor, BEFORE you accept the contract, and leave the premises.
  • Take photos from all angles of the rental before you leave, to protect yourself should there be any dispute about damage later on.
  • It is NOT ADVISABLE to surrender your PASSPORT to the rental agency as rental return security.
  • Have a passport photocopy on hand instead, to satisfy the hire company.
  • If a hire company insists on having your original passport, hire from someone else. 
  • Obey all Thai traffic rules and signs, remain vigilant and always drive defensively.
  • Driving at night is considered to be particularly dangerous.
  • Motorcycles in Thailand are routinely operated by children as young as 12, so you must remain vigilant and always drive defensively.
  • If you don't ride a motorcycle in your own country, Thailand is NOT the place to learn.
  • Vendors will happily hire you a motorcycle whether you have the appropriate permit and licence or not.
  • Rarely will the bike you have hired be covered for damage, you are usually liable for all damage and more than likely to other vehicles involved, although some personal injury insurance to the other party is mandatory in the annual tax paid by the hire company for each bike.  It is worth repeating that if you are involved in an accident, with property damage or personal injury to any party, be aware that if the Thai Police and/or Insurance Company discover that licencing and permit documents are not in order, you may feel the full force of the law, and may have any insurance cover invalidated (if there is any). You may also be required by the Thai authorities, to post a LARGE cash bail amount to cover any liability you may incur.  If the other party was at fault but does not have insurance, you are still liable for the repair costs to the hired machine.

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

• Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
  • The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
  • This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
  • If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
  • In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

• In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident (such as enrolling kids in school, buy a car etc,) and are no longer a toursit, you need a Thai drivers licence as your national license and international driving permit is only legally accepted if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have  fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand.

Source link 1

Source link 2

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

So I am tipping the farlang who dont have a proper drivers license dont have travel insurance either... And if they did have insurance without a license it would be void. Win win!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Archived