IGNORED

Canon 60D or Fuji HS50EXR?

chris2004

I'm looking to upgrade my old but trusty Nikon D70. Initially i thought i would for sure go for another DSLR like the Canon 60D, or maybe the 70D. But looking around the Fuji HS50EXR looks a great camera with a very long zoom lens. Do i really need a DSLR, maybe a bridge camera like this is as good (for half the price).

Anyone had experience of either one?

I'm finding that I use the long zoom less and less, instead what I use a long zoom for now with my DSLR is to get a nice background blur by shooting low f stop numbers.  What lens's do you own? If I were to do it ALL over again with no $$$ worries I would go full frame, but sadly I need to spend my money on other items.  What kind of shooting do you do?  Perhaps buying a good prime lens would help you get those bedroom photos.

I have a 60 D as a spare back up camera,very happy with it,my trip report,heaps off images most with a 60 D,

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

Reviews of both cameras

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Fujifilm-FinePix-HS50EXR

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

Well Christmas present to myself was the Canon 60d with 18-135mm. Great camera and good value at 28,900 baht. In the UK it's advertised on Amazon for 47,000.

Have a look at the full frame Canon 6D if you want to make a big step to better quality .

Very good value for money .

Rather than the 60D option, you're better off with a cheap old body and a good lens. It's been said time and time again, but people just don't listen.

Buy a used 30D or 40D cheap as chips, and get a top quality lens.

Rather than the 60D option, you're better off with a cheap old body and a good lens. It's been said time and time again, but people just don't listen.

Buy a used 30D or 40D cheap as chips, and get a top quality lens.

Maybe because it's not that simple . A 40D is 6/7 years old and works fine till 800 ISO . Get the ISO up

higher and the quality goes down very quick while a 60D is still delivering a decent print at 3200 ISO . 

Agree with you that a good quality lens is more important than buying the 70D over the 60D . 

• 3 weeks later...

I say grad a snifty 50. Nikon 50 1.4/1.8 or Sigma 50/1.4 for low light shooting. I usually have my 50 either on the camera or in the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to upgrade my old but trusty Nikon D70. Initially i thought i would for sure go for another DSLR like the Canon 60D, or maybe the 70D. But looking around the Fuji HS50EXR looks a great camera with a very long zoom lens. Do i really need a DSLR, maybe a bridge camera like this is as good (for half the price).

Anyone had experience of either one?

Just curious, if you had a D70 (which was a great camera, BTW), it stands to reason that you have F-Mount glass. Why jump ship if you have the glass already? Sounds like you're still planning to stay in the APS-C range, so just get a new Nikon  APS-C body and save money. If you were planing to upgrade to full frame, then existing APS-C lenses might not be as useful and switching brands wouldn't be a factor. 

Just curious, if you had a D70 (which was a great camera, BTW), it stands to reason that you have F-Mount glass. Why jump ship if you have the glass already? Sounds like you're still planning to stay in the APS-C range, so just get a new Nikon  APS-C body and save money. If you were planing to upgrade to full frame, then existing APS-C lenses might not be as useful and switching brands wouldn't be a factor. 

Partly because i wanted an increase in the 18-70 lens that was on the Nikon. Also the deal i got on the 60d with an 18-135 28,900 baht was cheaper than a new Nikon 7100 body.

Partly because i wanted an increase in the 18-70 lens that was on the Nikon. Also the deal i got on the 60d with an 18-135 28,900 baht was cheaper than a new Nikon 7100 body.

Canon 60D with the 18/135 is a great combo . Worked with it for a while with very good results . 

Price is good . 

If the kit 18-70 DX lens was the only one you had, then that makes sense, particularly with the deal you got on the 60D.  I was thinking that maybe you had a few lenses that you would have to re-buy for Canon.  60D is a nice camera--pretty comparable to the D7100 in most of the important specs anyway. 

• 1 month later...

I have had a Canon 60D for over two years and it is a great camera. APS-C size sensor is a pretty good performer with good usable images up to ISO 6400. I still have it and still use it. Just recently I upgraded to the Canon 6D it is Canon's entry level full frame camera. Very good low light performance even up to ISO 12800. Even though the body isn't that pricy you also have to consider that any glass you buy for it is going to cost more than APS-C glass. I bought a Tamron 24-70 with VC and constant F2.8 to put in front of it and I am very happy with this combination. With the VC I can get usable shots down to 1/30 sec, pair that with ISO 12,400 and F-2.8 and you got a great night shooter. For about 8,000 I also scored a used nifty fifty 1.4, with that I can get really get low light shots except it dosent have IS. The 6D is physically about the same weight and size as the 60D except for the heavier glass I have to mount on it. With the 60D I can still use my good glass or I can use the less expensive lighter stuff if I want. If I had to do it over again I would. I still wish for a 5D mark III but I have to stop somewhere.

_____addicts.jpg

here is an image I got with the 6D this was shot hand held 1/125 sec f2.8 at ISO 12,800 I did not do any post noise reduction on this image. I am amazed. but I still love that 60D though.

iso-example.jpg

_____addicts.jpg

here is an image I got with the 6D this was shot hand held 1/125 sec f2.8 at ISO 12,800 I did not do any post noise reduction on this image. I am amazed. but I still love that 60D though.

attachicon.gifiso-example.jpg

Can i ask what glass you used for this pic as there's a lot of light drop off at the corners .

Despite the impressive low light quality it almost looks like the pic is made with a cheap 

compact or telephone . 

Here are 2 pics i made last week with a Canon S110 compact .

IMG_2981-2.jpg

1/10 sec , F2 , 1600 iso , handheld .

IMG_3162-2.jpg

1/4 sec , F2 , 1600 iso , handheld .   

Can i ask what glass you used for this pic as there's a lot of light drop off at the corners .

Despite the impressive low light quality it almost looks like the pic is made with a cheap 

compact or telephone . 

Here are 2 pics i made last week with a Canon S110 compact .

attachicon.gifIMG_2981-2.jpg

1/10 sec , F2 , 1600 iso , handheld .

attachicon.gifIMG_3162-2.jpg

1/4 sec , F2 , 1600 iso , handheld .   

While I do see that drop off that you mentioned, I disagree with the assessment of the 6D.  The noise level for 12,800 ISO is quite low.  Comparing to 1600 ISO pointed at a closer and arguably brighter light source isn't exactly a fair comparison.  I would be interested to know what time of night that 6D picture was taken.

Is that drop off from an APS-C lens on that full frame?  Slight barrel distortion too, but easily correctable.

While I do see that drop off that you mentioned, I disagree with the assessment of the 6D.  The noise level for 12,800 ISO is quite low.  Comparing to 1600 ISO pointed at a closer and arguably brighter light source isn't exactly a fair comparison.  I would be interested to know what time of night that 6D picture was taken.

1/125 on 12.800 iso works out at 1/15 on 1600 iso so the amount of light is about the same

what makes it a fair comparison imo . Of course the full frame 6D has a lower noise level

than an S110 compact but it was just to show what a 8/10 (depending on glass used) times

cheaper compact on full aperture was capable of compared to a semi pro full frame .   

The 6D is a great camera but it looks like the glass isn't in the same quality range with it at

least not at full aperture .   

Is that drop off from an APS-C lens on that full frame?  Slight barrel distortion too, but easily correctable.

APS C lenses don't fit on a 6D and would fuck up the mirror if you try so . 

it was almost dark at the time the sky was not any lighter to the eye. this was shot 24mm and that's the reason for the vignette. In photoshop camera raw I can remove all the noise and vignette. also bear in mind I could have shot this at about 1/50th with the image stabilizing. I purposely set the ISO to 12,800 just to see what it would turn out like. Pretty happy with the results, the next step up to a 5D M-III would have been double what I paid.

Here is a processed version about 15min work

iso-jpg.jpg

_____addicts.jpg

if I set my ISO to 1600 on the 6D there would be very little noise. If you put the s-110 up to 12,800 there would be lots of noise. the s-110 is one of the best in its class and I almost bought one as a walk around camera.. The best camera is the one you have with you.

_____addicts.jpg

if I set my ISO to 1600 on the 6D there would be very little noise. If you put the s-110 up to 12,800 there would be lots of noise. the s-110 is one of the best in its class and I almost bought one as a walk around camera.. The best camera is the one you have with you.

That looks a whole lot better already , great quality on 12.800iso . The noise level from the 110 on 12.800iso 

is ridiculous that's why i used 1600iso and a longer shutter speed . The IS did a great job on 1/4 sec . 

15 minutes for 1 pic ... you'll need 3 months off of work correcting pics after a holiday 555 .  

That looks a whole lot better already , great quality on 12.800iso . The noise level from the 110 on 12.800iso 

is ridiculous that's why i used 1600iso and a longer shutter speed . The IS did a great job on 1/4 sec . 

15 minutes for 1 pic ... you'll need 3 months off of work correcting pics after a holiday 555 .  

Wasn't knocking the S110, BTW. If I were going to invest in an affordable compact, that would be in the top 3 pick. Just that at 12,800, the 6D does a tremendous job on low noise--something my aging Nikon D90 can't pull off. With sub $1,000 glass, I typically keep my ISO below 1,000 if I want what I consider a usable pic.

Wrassell: I assume that's the EF 24 f/2.8, right?  I heard the vignetting eases up if you shoot a little less open than f/2.8. Given that you have such an incredible ISO range, you could easily afford to move into the 3's at night.  

my lens is Tamron 24-70 good lens but a little soft at 2.8 , F8 seems to be the sweet spot, also 50mm seems to be sharpest in the zoom range. I would love to have a lens with a red stripe but cost has kept me away from that.

pretty amazed with that 1/4 sec shutter speed I have IS but 1/10 sec would be about the best I could do. The 6D has a scene mode for very low light where it takes 4 shots and combines them for a better exposed clear shot not the same as HDR, I hardly ever use it however. As a compact I was going to get the Canon S-95 and the only reason I didn't was it was out of stock, so I went with the Nikon P-7100 pretty happy with that but not as compact as the S-95.

_____addicts.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived