IGNORED

Tom yam gung

I do a lot of Thai cooking. So far I have had quite a lot of success with the authenticity of my cooking. However one recipe I can never seem to make like they have it in LOS is tom yam gung. Can anyone out there tell me how to give the soup the yellow colour like you get it in LOS? And also how to thicken it up and not have it so watery? I have tried many different recipes and variations of each one but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

there are many Thai sites with instructions Sam have you checked those out already?

there are many Thai sites with instructions Sam have you checked those out already?

Yeah mate. Still no good.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Here is a recipe... don't know if it is similar to the way you do it (it is out of Private Dancer)

TOM YAM GUNG (Spicy prawn soup)

One pint light fish stock

8 ounces raw prawns, peeled and deveined

8 ounces sliced button mushrooms

1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass or 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass

1 spring onion cut into small lengths

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 fresh green chilli, seeded and sliced

2 teaspoons chilli paste

1/2 teaspoon palm sugar

2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander

freshly ground black pepper

Place the vegetable oil and the prawn shells in a wok and fry until they change

colour. Add the fish stock and simmer for twenty minutes, before straining

and discarding the shells. Return the stock to the wok and add the

mushrooms, lemongrass, fish sauce, lemon juice, chillies and sugar, and

simmer for two minutes on a low heat.

Add the prawns and simmer for three to four minutes or until the prawns

change colour. Serve garnished with the spring onions and coriander and add

black pepper to taste.

Hope this helps!

Here is a recipe... don't know if it is similar to the way you do it (it is out of Private Dancer)

TOM YAM GUNG (Spicy prawn soup)

One pint light fish stock

8 ounces raw prawns, peeled and deveined

8 ounces sliced button mushrooms

1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass or 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass

1 spring onion cut into small lengths

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 fresh green chilli, seeded and sliced

2 teaspoons chilli paste

1/2 teaspoon palm sugar

2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander

freshly ground black pepper

Place the vegetable oil and the prawn shells in a wok and fry until they change

colour. Add the fish stock and simmer for twenty minutes, before straining

and discarding the shells. Return the stock to the wok and add the

mushrooms, lemongrass, fish sauce, lemon juice, chillies and sugar, and

simmer for two minutes on a low heat.

Add the prawns and simmer for three to four minutes or until the prawns

change colour. Serve garnished with the spring onions and coriander and add

black pepper to taste.

Hope this helps!

Does still not tell me how the yellow colour or thickness is achieved!

"Up to me" since 2005

are you using something called galanga ? it looks like ginger root and you should be able to buy it at your local Asian supermarket.

Must admit to having a disaster whenever trying to cook Tom yum Goong, so I would be interested also

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

are you using something called galanga ? it looks like ginger root and you should be able to buy it at your local Asian supermarket.

Yes.

"Up to me" since 2005

what kind of chili paste are you adding ?

Black chilli paste.

"Up to me" since 2005

The yellow colour and thickening is due to the saliva where they spit in it before serving it up to foreign tourists. :P

Be scene and not herd.

I do a lot of Thai cooking. So far I have had quite a lot of success with the authenticity of my cooking. However one recipe I can never seem to make like they have it in LOS is tom yam gung. Can anyone out there tell me how to give the soup the yellow colour like you get it in LOS? And also how to thicken it up and not have it so watery? I have tried many different recipes and variations of each one but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Have you tried using water from the Chao Praya River? That should make it nice and yellowy! lol

Red Chillie paste called "Nam Prik Pao" will give it that color you want.

Thanks, I will try it and get back to you.

Have you tried using water from the Chao Praya River? That should make it nice and yellowy! lol

That's enough to put me off for life. :wacko: In BKK a couple of months ago I was on the river and I saw a dead dog floating in the river with all four legs pointing upwards perfectly straight.

"Up to me" since 2005

Tom Yum is supposed to be watery. Some places, especially in Western restaurants use coconut milk but that is not authentic.

It also shouldnt be yellow - REAL Tom Yum is clear with maybe a greenish hue from the green vegetables and a reddish oiliness on the surface from the chili paste.

Galangal and lemongrass are essential.

I will get my Mrs to write out a recipe for me.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

That's enough to put me off for life. :rolleyes: In BKK a couple of months ago I was on the river and I saw a dead dog floating in the river with all four legs pointing upwards perfectly straight.

Once my ex wife made me Tom Yum Goong, and they had used river prawns, I said fuck off am I eating that, i've seen the river! She got pissed off and said that the river prawns were more expensive than ones from the sea!

Tom Yum is supposed to be watery. Some places, especially in Western restaurants use coconut milk but that is not authentic.

It also shouldnt be yellow - REAL Tom Yum is clear with maybe a greenish hue from the green vegetables and a reddish oiliness on the surface from the chili paste.

Galangal and lemongrass are essential.

I will get my Mrs to write out a recipe for me.

Cheers mate, that would be appreciated. I went to my local oriental supermarket today and bought some tom yam paste which is bright red in appearance, hopefully that will do the trick. This is the nicest tom yam I have ever tasted, on Koh Samet my last trip.

276869-107.jpg

Once my ex wife made me Tom Yum Goong, and they had used river prawns, I said fuck off am I eating that, i've seen the river! She got pissed off and said that the river prawns were more expensive than ones from the sea!

Fuck that I wouldn't have ate it. I get bad stomach every time I go to LOS, something I just accept now.

"Up to me" since 2005

Actually when coconut milk is added it is called Tom Kha as opposed to Tom Yum.

Tom Kha Gai is very good and one of my favorites

Maesri's tom yam paste, which is a product of LOS is going into the mix tonight. I will report back. :)

"Up to me" since 2005

At last! Authentic tom yam gung, although I think I overdid it on the mushrooms and didn't have any kaffir lime leaves or coriander leaves to garnish. It still tasted divine though.

277649-25.jpg

This is the tom yam paste I used to give it that wonderful colour. It's a product of Thailand and I recommend it, it's the shit.

277649-26.jpg

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself this evening. :P

"Up to me" since 2005

Dam that looks tasty Sam.

So as good as back in Los??

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

Dam that looks tasty Sam.

So as good as back in Los??

Not far off. I'm working on it. :P

"Up to me" since 2005

The yellow colour and thickening is due to the saliva where they spit in it before serving it up to foreign tourists. :D

:D:IdHitIt2: Dont put me off my favourite dish

• 1 month later...

What is the name of the book in your picture? Would you recommend it?