Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Taxi from BKK to Asok BTS area hotel

xtremedude

I am arriving close to midnight so taking the Airport train is not an option I believe.  So few questions regarding taking a taxi from BKK:

- I believe taking a taxi from departure level is not possible now based on what I read - is this correct?

- What should I expect to pay based on meter?  Asking just in case I run into a fast running meter.

- On top of the 50 baht airport taxi fee, what tolls are involved?

Xtremedude

Taxi meter about 300-400 never had it more than this , tolls I think about 70 baht

I am arriving close to midnight so taking the Airport train is not an option I believe.  So few questions regarding taking a taxi from BKK:

- I believe taking a taxi from departure level is not possible now based on what I read - is this correct?

- What should I expect to pay based on meter?  Asking just in case I run into a fast running meter.

- On top of the 50 baht airport taxi fee, what tolls are involved?

Xtremedude

Correct, they have blocked off access to departure level with guards discouraging the high hurdles champions. But why go through that madness to save about $1.50 ... sort of like guys slamming drinks to get another 2 or 3 in before Happy Hour.

Based on the meter, you should pay between 200 - 250 Baht to go from Swampy to the Asoke intersection depending upon traffic and at that time it should be light. Add the 50 for the taxi surcharge and another 80 or so for tolls and you should be all in less than 400.

Thanks all for your replies.

In Manila there are two types of taxis, one quoting ridiculously high flat price or drivers saying they will use meter in which case you really have to worry because the meters run more than 10X faster.  But since I know what the fare is supposed to be I usually can get by without too much hassle.  But not having taken taxis in Bangkok in many years (last time I took a taxi from airport was when DMK was the main airport) I am a little weary.  The last several times I arrived at BKK it was in the afternoon so I took the Airport express train.  But this time due to late midnight arrival it looks like I will have no choice but to take a taxi.  So if I was to get in a taxi with rigged meter, would 300 total (250 fare + 50 airport fee with toll paid already) be a reasonable offer once I get to the hotel?  Of course if the meter is showing something close to this I would just pay the meter but I am thinking meter might show 1000+ if it is rigged.

Xtremedude

Thanks all for your replies.

In Manila there are two types of taxis, one quoting ridiculously high flat price or drivers saying they will use meter in which case you really have to worry because the meters run more than 10X faster.  But since I know what the fare is supposed to be I usually can get by without too much hassle.  But not having taken taxis in Bangkok in many years (last time I took a taxi from airport was when DMK was the main airport) I am a little weary.  The last several times I arrived at BKK it was in the afternoon so I took the Airport express train.  But this time due to late midnight arrival it looks like I will have no choice but to take a taxi.  So if I was to get in a taxi with rigged meter, would 300 total (250 fare + 50 airport fee with toll paid already) be a reasonable offer once I get to the hotel?  Of course if the meter is showing something close to this I would just pay the meter but I am thinking meter might show 1000+ if it is rigged.

Xtremedude

Yes, but you are being paranoid. In 35 years of taxis in Bangkok I have never noticed having a rigged meter, plenty that used to refuse to put the flag down and wanted a flat fare but even that should never occur at Swampy.

I did this just four days ago …. 1am Sunday left BKK for Asoke BTS stop … cost 165B plus 75B tolls plus 50B airport surcharge. 

About 250-300 or so. Never really an issue.  On the whole I've found thai taxi drivers to be OK.

The drivers from the official kiosk won't rip you. Manila is the fucking worst for that ! Should be about 200 + the 50. You can probably shine the tollway at midnite and save the 70B too.

The drivers from the official taxi departure will rip you off if they can. Why do people think these specific drivers are more ethical than others in bkk? Like taxi enforcement is really in place.

The drivers from the official taxi departure will rip you off if they can. Why do people think these specific drivers are more ethical than others in bkk? Like taxi enforcement is really in place.

Uh, because I've taken a couple hundred taxi's from there and DMK have yet to have a problem. Not one has refused to flip the meter and not one has had a rigged meter. That's why.  I've had guys up at 'Arrivals' want stupid money and the taxis that hang out in front of hotels are scumbags. But there's just no fucking reason to get ripped off.  I've yet to get ripped off by any BKK driver. If they don't flip the meter, I get out. The next guy will. I'm sure there's hot meters out there, but I haven't seen one.

Not getting ripped off doesn't mean it was a "great experience". I've had a lot of drivers that were so fuclking stupid, I wanted to fucking strangle 'em, but they didn't try to fuck me over.. Like I said before, it's simple, if he won't flip the meter - get the fuck outta the cab ! There are hardly any hot meters out there and they've got a hotline to report them. I've yet to see one and my long term expat friends have seen none or or only a couple in 10 + years..

Archived