Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

HIV/STD testing at Silom Clinic, Hospital For Tropical Diseases, Bangkok

Shaksey

I hadn't had a checkup for a year so this week I did a quick search of nearby clinics and took myself off to The Silom Clinic at the Hospital For Tropical Diseases in Bangkok. It is located on the 12th floor and is a 5 min walk from Victory Monument BTS. It's open Tue-Sun 16:00 - 21:00.

I can honestly say that this is the best run, most professional and impressive facility of it's kind I have ever visited. The clinic used to be in Silom (hence the name) but moved to the hospital here about a year ago. Everything is brand new and of the highest standards. It's pretty much Bumrumgrad level of service and quality.

I went at just after 16:00 and was instantly seen by a receptionist who put me in a cubicle to fill in my details on a PC. Having done this I was immediately taken to a private exam room by a nurse. Usual questions asked, bloods taken etc.

For HIV they do a quick 30 min test AND an RNA test which is the newest kind and can identify HIV from 5 days of infection. It reacts to the HIV virus itself not the antibodies which the normal tests react to and which you can't detect for 3 months. They also test for the usual other nasties and will examine you if you wish.

As well as this they will give you all the Hepatitis vaccines if you have not had them.

After seeing the nurse I waited in a very nice lounge with leather seats, big TV's, lots of current issue magazines such as GQ, Mens Helath etc and 35 minutes later was called back to see the nurse with the good news. The RNA HIV test takes a week for the results and they will only call you if there is bad news - no news is good news. 

And the best thing about all this? It's all FREE. 

The clinic is actually funded by Uncle Sam so if you're a US tax payer and want to see your tax dollars at work pop along ;) And to all you US tax payers...thanks for the service :)

The Hospital For Tropical Diseases is it claims the number one of it's type not just in Thailand but the whole of Asia. Again, it's heavily funded by the USA and works closely with the US CDC. I saw details of several studies done alongside the CDC while I was nosing around the rest of the hospital.

Considering what I saw, experienced and the above details I'd say that this is the number one most reliable, professional and best HIV/STD clinic in Thailand and the fact it's free makes it a no-brainer to choose it over any other in Bangkok. 

There is one small issue though, lol. When the nurse asked me do I sleep with ladies, men or transgenders (usual question at clinics), I answered ladies and she said, "Oh, we're actually for men who have sex with men or transgendered men!" She went on to say they would see me anyway no problem though so it's just a fact to be aware of so you're not surprised like me. I guess you could just say you have sex with men or ladyboys if you want to fit in with their service a bit more, lol. 

Stay safe and get checked up regularly :)

Archived