IGNORED

Language

I'm still planning my first trip. I have friends who have visited Pattaya and they rave about the experience. As far as language is concerned, is it my imagination, or does everyone there speak English as a second language?

Bear,

I assume English is your mother tongue ? If so then mate you will have very few problems with language in Pattaya. Although not all the locals here speak it well, most do have a fair command of it and some of the 'older hands' speak it as well as we do.

No need for concern pal, get yourself here and enjoy.

SteveBC.

Unless you plan on getting up and far out into the backcountry you will have no problem with basic communication using english and a calculator for buying/bargaining (all the shop keepers have the calculator ready to go for you). English as I understand it is taught from the earliest grades to all Thais in school but of course if you don't use it you lose it

"Life is hard; its harder if you're stupid" - EC

Bear

ive never had any worries with communication...either buying pussy or paper...thais will understand what your talking about.. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Scars are a reminder that the past was Real!

While almost everyone will be able to understand English you will be seen in a different light if you have at leaat a few words of Thai in your vocabulary.

hello, thankyou, what is your name, is your daughter 18 :D etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

most speak decent english but a few thai phrases go a longway mate

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is to speak slowly and not at your normal speed and to bear in mind that words such as "to" which may be common in English are largely superfluous in Thai.

I have barfined a couple of farm fresh girls whose English was worse than my Thai. I now have the ability to do at least some of my negotiations with the girls in Thai. I can usually understand their reply so my Thai can't be that bad. :D Also, my ability to read and write Thai was better than that of one girl I barfined. She admitted to me that she couldn't read or write.

Alan

I'm still planning my first trip. I have friends who have visited Pattaya and they rave about the experience. As far as language is concerned, is it my imagination, or does everyone there speak English as a second language?

Everyone speaks English as their second language if they are not English themselves.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005