wisemonkey

Nicest Suburbs of Chang Mai for long term stay?

wisemonkey

I am thinking of making the move out of Pattaya to Chang Mai for 2014 , I have been looking at http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th and been finding some great deals, I have no idea about what suburbs are nice though. I am looking for an area that safe and clean, looking for a house more than a condo, but bigger condos in nice areas I would be interested in too. 

Appreciate anyone with knowledge of the area pointing me in the direction of what suburbs I should be looking at renting in, cheers,

wisemonkey

I tried looking up Nong Hue, would it be Hong Hoi? Thanks Ill check it out, did you stay there for a while? My other concern is internet out there, is it stable? Similar to Pattaya?

wisemonkey

Thanks mate, sounds like Chang Mai is what I am after, I think I might take a trip and stay up there a week or so and take a look around the different suburbs, you enjoy ur year there?

bdw

Hahng Dong, SouthWest of the city, and near the Outer Ring road.

wisemonkey

Hahng Dong, SouthWest of the city, and near the Outer Ring road.

Thanks, a lot of nice properties been popping up in Hahng Dong, seems so cheap compared to Pattaya, pretty amazing that the same price im renting my condo for in Pattaya can get a nice 3-4 bedroom house out there in Chang Mai

Edited by wisemonkey

bdw

I rented between Hahng Dong and the city for a year, and my rent was pretty cheap. Anywhere near the outer ring road is good IMHO.

I was working between the city and Lumpoon at the time, so Hahng Dong area made sense.

Meaning I had two work locations, one beside the Far East University, and the other in Lumpoon. So, on a day I needed to get to Lumpoon in the morning, I was already halfway there.

Edited by bdw

wisemonkey

Sounds good, proximity to city really isnt an issue for me in regards for travel, I work online so basically I would only need to be close to the city in order to get stable internet, which may not be available the more rural I get. My main concern Is the nice area, my son is getting older, nearly starting to walk, in Pattaya hardly anywhere nice I can go and let him roam free, im hoping there is nice nature and clean areas in Chang Mai that will be better for a kid growing up

daniel1999

Nong Hoi and Hang Dong are the cheaper areas to live in.  Internet will be very stable.  Tons of of my friends live out there due to low cost of rent vs. the city.  A 3 bed 2 bath house can go for as low as 9,000 baht per month. Mae Rim is an area to the north.  Much more scenic beauty vs. Hang Dong/Nong Hoi, but finding a place to rent might be more difficult.  Lots of high end resorts in Mae Rim.  You can literally spend 30,000 baht a night only for accommodation, and a surprising amount of people do.

Soi Saket and Samkampaeng are also cheaper areas a bit to the east of town.

Anywhere in town would not be great for a small child who needs a place to wander around.

wisemonkey

Great info there daniel1999, those areas you mentioned (Hang Dong, Nong Hoi and Mae Rim) are areas that I have found some great properties in, I am going to take a trip up there in Jan and check them all out. I really like the look of the Mae Rim area but worried about the internet out there. Some beautiful places up there though!

daniel1999

I would not expect you to have any internet difficulties in Mae Rim.  If you can find a place up there within your budget, it is much, much nicer there than in Hang Dong, Nong Hoi or the other areas I mentioned, in my opinion.