Pattaya Live Streams >> Tulip Girls Link Tree | Pattaya Girls Live Facebook | Pattaya Girls Tulip Villa | Nightwish Girls Payment Portal |

IGNORED

Rosetta stone, learning thai

Hey ppl!

just got rosetta stones learning dvd/cd/files whatever, 7gig, but how the hell do you get it to start, i got so far to load up the program, but then it says it cand find any language files.

:P

Thanks!!1

I may be totally wrong but I seem to recall that Rosetta Stone requires sort of a basic initial program that sets up and through which the individual languages run.

"Life is hard; its harder if you're stupid" - EC

Don't you need 2 disks, one to setup & one you have in your CD drive when you want to use. Good luck with it. I tried Rosetta for Russian and found it too difficult as no corresponding English. Suppose to be the best method but I think you need to really want to learn the language before becoming despondent.

Don't you need 2 disks, one to setup & one you have in your CD drive when you want to use. Good luck with it. I tried Rosetta for Russian and found it too difficult as no corresponding English. Suppose to be the best method but I think you need to really want to learn the language before becoming despondent.

Ding Dong, just what Boris said, put in the language CD and when you load the Rosetta Stone program, it will show you the lessons.

Just for my 2c worth.. I found the Pimsleur Thai (listening only) to be really good, and probably one of the easiest ways to memorize phrases etc.. I tried a few others, such as Berlitz etc., but Pimsleur beats them.

• 7 months later...

I picked up a copy of this in Thailand and found it too difficult. From what i can remember it only shows the pictures(photos) and prounces the words in Thai. it doesn't actually have the corresponding english text, it only has the text in Thai script. So you have to work a lot of the joining-words out by yourself. I might try it again once I've got a solid understanding of Thai basics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Tried Rosetta Stone before and have to conclude that it is pure shite. You are much better off with benjamin pooksawan thai for beginners/intermediate/advanced learners series.

• 5 weeks later...

I am trying the Pimsleur, but it is proving difficult.

isn't Rosetta Stone the Top Independent learning system for languages?

So their ad says. I've tried it myself with different languages, and wasn't a big fan. As said before, they don't give you the direct translation of what you're saying, so basically you end up memorizing a word or phrase but not knowing exactly what it means. It might work a little better if you learn basic Thai with Pimsleur or such and then retry using Rosetta Stone.

The other thing is with many language programs, they teach you the proper way to speak a language, not necessarily what is spoken every day. You'll find you will learn phrases only to have to relearn it when you get there. Just my two cents.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

• 2 weeks later...

For what they charge, you can get a Thai to give you lessons over the phone. In the US there are a bunch of Thais that will do this for something like $10/hr. I'm sure there are many in Sweeden that will come to your home or teach you over the phone as well.

Did you manage to sort out the Rosetta Stone Files.

Rosetta Stone is the best for actually learning the language, Pimsleur is good if you want to order 2 bottles of beer from the hotel Dusitanee or the Restaurant Prikinew and ask when and where but after that its downhill, I would suggest if you were serious about learning the language to do the listening ones first until it gets well over your head and then hit Rosetta, then when that gets a bit tough go back and do the listening ones again.

With Rosetta Stone I didn't realize how much I was learning and how useful that would be in my first conversations in Thai, I was confused like an earlier poster by the lack of documentation as there are loads of times you dont really know what the speaker is saying so you guess, just listen to what he or she is saying again before you guess, and then if your not comfortable with your score do it again.

The documentation is all the same for every language, its the same as the english course, I have uploaded the PDF for that if you want to know what is actually being said in Thai, it does help. I listen and do anything I can (I am still talking about learning Thai) another good book and CD course is Thai for Lovers.

Good Luck learning the language, its good to see us falangs giving it a go as it isn't easy but last year I remember talking to an American English teacher that had been here 10 years and couldn't say enough to pay his electricity bill, very poor in my opinion.

Curriculum_Text___English__UK__Level_1.pdf

there are loads of times you dont really know what the speaker is saying so you guess,

This is poor, imho. In real life there are times when we have to make educated guesses. But in the classroom and in self study materials the meaning should be made so clear/obvious that guessing isn't needed. If you find yourself regularly not understanding then the materials are almost certainly at fault.

One of the Indonesian self study books I have has unit exercises. These exercises introduce new words which not only haven't been covered in the unit but aren't covered anywhere in the other book units. Nor are they included in the unit or book glossary. That's plain poor.

Sounds poor but it works, i did a section today, I knew the thai for the other 3 options but didnt understand the speaker for the one that was correct, so chose that one, i listened to the speaker 2 or 3 times so I recognized the phrase and then clicked it. All language is only recognizing words then phrases and then patterns and then being able to change those patterns. I am at the recognizing word stage and am beginning to see phrases, so if i know car and i know red i should be able to choose the red car.

If I knew red car and knew yellow but didnt know plane, if I heard yellow in a phrase I could listen to what the word for plane is and then choose the yellow plane, all the words are repeated often in different phrases, you soon get it, but each to there own.

Shagster,

What you've said makes sense but that's deduction. I've used that technique myself as a student. In fact some instructors use that technique with their students. I'm not sure if that's what the Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone do. I'll see when I download.

What I really meant was where the introduction of new vocabulary actually hampers comprehension. A lot of material I have does that. You can't deduce the new word from the context as you described. And this stops or hinders you doing the task. You then have to go outside the self study materials (which should be self inclusive) to look up the word. End of unit Exercises aren't the place to be introducing new words anyway (but that's where my Indonesian book does it!). The student should be focused on what they've covered already. Self study materials are also notorious for introducing too much vocab rather than recycling words you "know" already.

Is it Pimsleur Thai you've got?

Ive got them all, but its rosetta stone ive been on about, pimsleur is a travel phrase course in my opinion, was really hard work when i first started learning thai, you will find them all as torrents somewhere but rosetta stone is a dvd now so takes some downloading.

I think I did rosetta stone wrong from the start as I just get on with the exercises where there is a preview mode where it just speaks the description in thai of the picture it shows, so maybe your supposed to learn that way from the start where I just got on with it, Ive started again from the start about 4 times and each time I start again I hear it more clearly or understand more.

I remember in Pimsleur it doesnt cover counting at all, the first time it really goes into numbers is when your learning to say the time, rosetta has you doing numbers pretty much all the way through it.

If you had a look at the PDF I uploaded it starts with Boy Girl Cat Dog, so thats 4 words introduced straight away, then its all about jumping, but the thing is your thinking about the action word and the jumping but the girl boy cat dog really gets cemented in.

I am not sure where your from but as for guessing, if you have ever talked to a Jock or a Geordie you only recognise half of what they say and guess the rest but still can have a conversation of sorts although it does depend how pissed they are :P

Edited by Shagster

I am a Geordie, cheeky get :D Have a look here http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2162696/...s-sat-nav-speak Brum voted worst, Geordie second best :GrinNod1:

Only kidding. I know what you're saying and agree. A noisy room might be a better example. You can miss the odd word and still understand. Fill in the gap with an educated guess. That's fine. But self study materials aren't the real world (solo learning = no-one to talk to; no background noise). Beginners need as close to 100% comprehensibility as you can give them. That means no guessing. That's why I favor TPRS materials http://www.tprstorytelling.com/index.php?o...2&Itemid=39 but they don't do Thai . They aim for 100% comprehensibilty right from the start and reckon on not going below 90% comprehensibility or people start getting lost.

I'm downloading Pimsleur as we speak. In fact I've no real interest in learning Thai. My interest is from the learning theory angle (got a masters in applied linguistics. I'm sh1t poor at learning languages which is why I'm interested in the subject). I suspect I'll know most of it anyway (never had a lesson in my life; picked up 99% of what I know - which is little - from 10 + yrs floating around Thailand. I manage a small conversation. But I'm still crap). I'll try to get the Rosetta Stone, too, just to give my thoughts on it. I will download that .pdf of yours too.

How long you been learning?

a little over 1 year, and as other members of this forum have found, speaking Thai in Pattaya doesn't score you any points, in fact its not wise to do in the bars, the girls think you have a wife or a long term girl friend have lived in Thailand for years and just dont like it, better to just do the sawadee khrap khob khun krap stuff and leave it at that, another lesson I sadly learned was never try and learn Thai from the bar girls as when you use the same words you will instantly insult everyone with the most innocent of words or what you thought was innocent. Anyway a little off track, pimsleur is a proven method of learning but its to short a course even at 30 lessons to get anywhere near understanding conversation.

I test my knowledge by listening to Thai music every now and again, you can get hold of Thai karaoke easy enough or take a look at this site:

http://www.ethaimusic.com/archives/index.php

The songs are translated into english text so you can get the meaning.

Thai is a really fun language to speak out of Pattaya though and I love learning it and will keep practicing and trying to have conversations only to get blank stares back or the person I am trying to talk to stare at the thai friend I am with for some kind of help.

Edited by Shagster

Keep going Shagster, keep plugging away. Songs are a good way of learning. If I was serious about learning Thai I'd be translating Loso songs (my faves). The point you make about blank stares seems not uncommon. I've seen others mention this. Just keep your motivation up and work away. Your point about not learning from BG's is spot on. It's not unknown for them to deliberately tell you wrongly in order to get you into trouble. It's a form of Thai humour. Not so funny for the European though.

Interesting point about BG's reactions to a Thai speaking farang. I've noticed negative reactions to Europeans (not to myself as my Thai's not good enough. That said see below). Example: I'm in a soi 2 bar one night. There's 2 BG's deep in animated conversation. A well dressed farang sits down in front of them and orders and makes some small talk in Thai. I know enough to know his Thai was excellent. You should have seen the look on their faces. They clam up. They look behind them to see where they can move to. Bad luck the bar is rammed. So they stand there in stony silence for 20 mins. Finally a space at the other end of the bar appears. They go there and resume their animated conversation. One of the downsides of being able to speak Thai. I just assumed it was a "knowledge is power" thing. They didn't want him to know their business. I've read Thai speaking Europeans on other forums (eg nanaplaza.com which I've been on since the Delphi days), old hands,saying don't speak Thai when you're in a bar as it can hamper your chances. But after putting in all that learning effort I'd be wanting to speaking to everyone! You don't learn a language not to speak it.

Something that happened to me: I'm in a bar. 2 BG's are talking in front of me. I'm not listening. I'm daydreaming. Can't understand most of it anyway. Don't want to. Not interested. Then just as I snap out of my daze one of them says something funny that I understand and I smile. One BG says to me, "You speak Thai" in an aggressive tone. Of course I don't so I say no. "Yes you speak Thai" - she's getting louder - "you bullshit. You understand Thai" It ran on a bit then fizzled out. She wasn't happy. I think she thought I could understand the whole conversation

Good luck with it

When i first tried to learn Thai, i got a language course from the library, and doggedly worked my way through it. I noticed a card in my newsagents window one day, the word Thai caught my attention, It was a girl who was looking for work as a nanny, i thought about it and decided to call and see if she would be interested in teaching the language, she said she would and i arranged my first lesson with her. She was living here with her English partner who was a graphic artist. At my first lesson i discovered that nearly everything i had picked up from the language course was wrong ! i learnt more in the one lesson with her than from that whole course. it seems to me that the best way to acquire skills in another language is to learn, one to one, with a national from that country ( provided they are proficient in your language of course !) since i have been living here, my learning curve has dropped off dramaticly, the people around me are unable to answer my questions as they cannot translate, so now i just pick up a word or two every now and then.

A friend of mine, who i have lost contact with, was pretty fluent in Thai and his favourite thing to do was to sit at a bar and not let on that he understood what was being said. As a previous poster mentioned, if he found something amusing and chuckled, he got filthy looks from the staff, who were not happy that he could understand what they were saying.

'Smee again

Edited by Smee again

for fast online translations go to this site

www.thai2english.com/dictionary

enter any word you want and it will come up with most of them