IGNORED

1 Month WiFi hotspot solution

localguy

Staying in Pattaya for a month, looking to connect my tablet in the condo to WiFi. Does anyone have any good ideas? Rental device OK too.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

Staying in Pattaya for a month, looking to connect my tablet in the condo to WiFi. Does anyone have any good ideas? Rental device OK too.

AIS 3BB Hotspots 20B a week, lots of coverage over the whole city. You might be able to see the signal in your condo.

If you have a smart phone, get a data plan for it and tether it to your tablet. If you don't you can buy one at Tuk com for 3,4k B

Thank you.

I am a tech newbie and have much to learn: I went to AIS in Central Festival and was told I can not do this because my tablet is WiFi only and does not have a SIM card. Does this make sense?

All I want is a way to connect my WiFi tablet to one of the many hotspots I see from the condo for a month. I am more than willing to pay for that. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

To make things simpler could you list the WiFi signals you see with your tablet from your condo?

What kind of phone do you have? [full model please] Is it unlocked/rooted?

---

One thing that will always work is a 3G or 4G hotspot which shares the 3G data signal via wifi. AIS sells these, hell even some family marts sell them. Go to Tuk com and someone will set you up, and only gouge you a little.

See if you get a 3 bar minimum signal from either 3bb or true wifi. Next buy either sim, put a couple of hundred baht on it, and contact the company.

Nullavenger, I appreciate this.

My tablet is WiFi only (no cellular capability). It is a Google Nexus 7.

I also have a simple cell phone, (not a smartphone) but I don't know if that's relevant. However, I will get a SIM card for the phone in the next few days. AIS, if I understood them correctly, says their WiFi plan only works on the same device that has their SIM card installed. Therefore, no good for me.

I will try to list some of the hotspots I see after I get back to the condo. The message is sent from one of the many, many places I like to stop for a beer in Pattaya.

I owe beers as well to anyone that can figure out this situation.

Davie Duke, thanks. I wanna say your posts are generally spot on - you cut to the heart of a topic very well. What about here - no SIM card on my WiFi device - how do I get WiFi for my tablet if I buy a SIM card for my old school cell phone?

It comes down to what Wifi signals you see from your condo....

Don't worry about the specifics of activating Wifi plans with different carriers until you know which one to focus on. There is always a way.

Davie Duke, thanks. I wanna say your posts are generally spot on - you cut to the heart of a topic very well. What about here - no SIM card on my WiFi device - how do I get WiFi for my tablet if I buy a SIM card for my old school cell phone?

Thanks.

Yes,just get the sim for your old phone. your phone info will be the log in for your wifi on your tablet/laptop/pc.

The best solution is to get there first and then see which public wi-Fi hotspots have a strong signal from your room. If it is A IS or 3BB, you can get one month for 100 Baht. True have a similar package. If you're picking up A strong Wi-Fi signal from a bar or restaurant, then go there, by a few drinks and asked for their Wi-Fi. 

Phil

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

It comes down to what Wifi signals you see from your condo....

Don't worry about the specifics of activating Wifi plans with different carriers until you know which one to focus on. There is always a way.

3BB_Hotspot is the strongest one. I like your "there is always a way". So should I get an AIS Sim card as a first step?

Yes,just get the sim for your old phone. your phone info will be the log in for your wifi on your tablet/laptop/pc.

Sounds like a good common sense approach. So I get an AIS Sim?

The best solution is to get there first and then see which public wi-Fi hotspots have a strong signal from your room. If it is A IS or 3BB, you can get one month for 100 Baht. True have a similar package. If you're picking up A strong Wi-Fi signal from a bar or restaurant, then go there, by a few drinks and asked for their Wi-Fi.

Phil

3BB in that case. No bars within range, unfortunately. But I gotta go to one of my favorites, Baby Dolls first time I go to WS. Tellingly, I have spent my first 24 hours on the half dozen, LK Metro and Soi Honey.

Go to family mart or 7/11 and you can get a 3BB wifi password from them, its a little expensive.

If you have a AIS sim card, make sure you have 30B on it, try to login to the 3BB wifi. You will see a number to call on your AIS phone *388# [or something like that, check the portal]. A username/password will be texted to you, the cost of the wifi will be 20B a week.

Do which-ever is easier for you.

"Sounds like a good common sense approach. So I get an AIS Sim?"

I believe that you use an AIS sim for 3bb, and you use a true move H sim for true.

3BB_Hotspot is the strongest one. I like your "there is always a way". So should I get an AIS Sim card as a first step?

Sounds like a good common sense approach. So I get an AIS Sim?

3BB in that case. No bars within range, unfortunately. But I gotta go to one of my favorites, Baby Dolls first time I go to WS. Tellingly, I have spent my first 24 hours on the half dozen, LK Metro and Soi Honey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 

Actually I'm working at Secrets now, just round the corner. It has A 30 MB dedicated leased line Wi-Fi. Rocksolid. Hope to see you there.

Phil

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

I hope the use of the word "hotspot" is not confusing you - list any/all wifi networks you can see on your tablet when you are in your room.  (Doesn't need to have the word "hotspot " in it).  One of the networks may well be one that is run by the condo you are staying in and for a relatively small fee you can get a months access.

I hope the use of the word "hotspot" is not confusing you - list any/all wifi networks you can see on your tablet when you are in your room.  (Doesn't need to have the word "hotspot " in it).  One of the networks may well be one that is run by the condo you are staying in and for a relatively small fee you can get a months access.

Many condo have a 'juristica' lady that sits at a desk near an entrance. Ask her how to use the Condo WiFi.  I've only stayed at Urban, Avenue, and another called Garden up the street (Soi 15 2nd Road) but other condos I've been in seem to have some 'big shot' in charge sitting around, usually very pretty and an attitude like there pussy is made out of gold because their boy friend owns the joint (perhaps he does). So anyway, check with your condo wifi, at least as a back up.

Some progress from your recommendations - I got an AIS SIM card and a 3BB WiFi code for one month. That's the good news.

Bad news is the signal is too weak to use. This is in View Talay 6 condo, on a higher floor.

Of the visible hotspots, the few strong ones are all password protected. For example, there are a couple from Jasmina, a company that rents out some condos here. But I don't think I can just waltz into their office and ask for the password!

Any other good ideas out there? So far your knowledge has taught me a lot.

Some progress from your recommendations - I got an AIS SIM card and a 3BB WiFi code for one month. That's the good news.

Bad news is the signal is too weak to use. This is in View Talay 6 condo, on a higher floor.

Of the visible hotspots, the few strong ones are all password protected. For example, there are a couple from Jasmina, a company that rents out some condos here. But I don't think I can just waltz into their office and ask for the password!

Any other good ideas out there? So far your knowledge has taught me a lot.

Waltz into Jasmina and ask if you can buy wifi access for a month. The worst thing they can say is no, and its very likely they will say yes.

Go to Tuk com and buy a wifi-cellular hotspot. Take your tablet. Don't leave until the hotspot is working with  your tablet. This will cost you 3kB-4kB. Many shops on the 2ed and 3rd floors can help you. Don't give them any money until everything is working.

Go to Tuk com and buy a wifi-cellular hotspot. Take your tablet. Don't leave until the hotspot is working with  your tablet. This will cost you 3kB-4kB. Many shops on the 2ed and 3rd floors can help you. Don't give them any money until everything is working.

Is that something physical, like a antenna/signal booster?? .....I ask because the op said he can't get many hotspot signals in his condo or they are very weak

Is that something physical, like a antenna/signal booster?? .....I ask because the op said he can't get many hotspot signals in his condo or they are very weak

Thanks, Nullavenger.

Taylor - I suppose it is a form of antenna. The device relays internet data between cell tower and my WiFi tablet. "Talks" cellular with tower, and WiFi with my tablet.

Thanks, Nullavenger.

Taylor - I suppose it is a form of antenna. The device relays internet data between cell tower and my WiFi tablet. "Talks" cellular with tower, and WiFi with my tablet.

Yup, more or less. The language here is overloaded by everyone and its highly confusing.  They are called "hotspots" in some literature and in android OS, but they are basically a cellular data modem [3G or 4G] that have a normal wifi antenna and they act as a bridge for the internet from the cellular side to the wifi side. These are application specific devices, that is all they do, most smart phones can also do this [if they are unlocked or rooted].

Both AIS and True sell such devices, even in some 7/11's or familymarts, but your going to have more assistance buying inside of Tukcom:

AIS calls it pocket wifi: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/pc-package.aspx?package=Pocket-Wifi#tips

True calls it shared wifi: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1157/Shared_WiFi_3_21_Mbps.#promotion

[Note the above sites may not work outside of Thailand, so turn off your VPN if they don't load].

Everyone, including Canadian and USA companies, basically rebrands Huawei devices for their hotspot/pocket wifi. So if you already have such a device it may work here, I've got one direct from china and it works fine, just pop in a simcard and I'm good to go.

ah I see! In the Uk we call these 'wireless dongles'

funny how different terminology makes it sound so complicated lol

ah I see! In the Uk we call these 'wireless dongles'

funny how different terminology makes it sound so complicated lol

Localguy: Nullavenger is the expert here, but typical wireless dongle plugs into laptop USB port and catches wireless cell signal. In contrast, hotspot is stand alone, and several laptops could connect via WiFi.

just a suggestion but maybe next time find a condo that has wifi?

Brilliant suggestion. I have one at home but it doesn't fit on the plane.

Archived