IGNORED

Thai army draft

Would like some advice on the army draft of my stepsons who are both living in Englland and have got British citizenship. They are coming up to the age of where they would have to register for the draft lottery if they were still living inThailand.They are studying at college and then maybe uni later so this draft would interfere with their education. I would like to know if people on the forum has been through this situation and would share the experience with me. my wife is scared if their would be repurcussions with the boys if we did not register them for the draft

I was talking to my brother who is married to a Thai, and they have 2 children both born in Australia...he obtained his sons Thai birth certificate here in Australia as it could not be obtained in Thailand, only in the country where he was actually  born...

.He wont register his son for a thai id until he is older than 21, because after turning 21 he can't be drafted......

If any of your two stepsons already have their Thai id's then under Thai law they have to register for the draft lottery,.

If they do not register then their Thai id's are cancelled, which makes things very difficult for them if they ever intended to return to Thailand, say to purchase land or open bank accounts as a Thai national.

I would suggest that you speak to a Thai lawyer who will be able to answer your questions with more authority than the information i can give you....

I hope this is of some help to you and does not confuse matters for you...........goodluck

Would like some advice on the army draft of my stepsons who are both living in Englland and have got British citizenship. They are coming up to the age of where they would have to register for the draft lottery if they were still living inThailand.They are studying at college and then maybe uni later so this draft would interfere with their education. I would like to know if people on the forum has been through this situation and would share the experience with me. my wife is scared if their would be repurcussions with the boys if we did not register them for the draft

I was talking to my brother who is married to a Thai, and they have 2 children both born in Australia...he obtained his sons Thai birth certificate here in Australia as it could not be obtained in Thailand, only in the country where he was actually  born...

.He wont register his son for a thai id until he is older than 21, because after turning 21 he can't be drafted......

If any of your two stepsons already have their Thai id's then under Thai law they have to register for the draft lottery,.

If they do not register then their Thai id's are cancelled, which makes things very difficult for them if they ever intended to return to Thailand, say to purchase land or open bank accounts as a Thai national.

I would suggest that you speak to a Thai lawyer who will be able to answer your questions with more authority than the information i can give you....

I hope this is of some help to you and does not confuse matters for you...........goodluck

Thanks for your reply , my stepsons have both got their thai id so i presume i will have to register them for the draft .

Thanks for your reply , my stepsons have both got their thai id so i presume i will have to register them for the draft .

Yes, if you want your stepsons to have the same rights as a Thai, you will have to register them for the draft.

i think if their id's were cancelled then they wouldn't even be able to obtain a Thai passport....

The only thing my brother and i are unsure of is,  if their id's are cancelled then, is there a time limit when they might be renewed again, or is there a  fine you might be able to pay to get their id's back.... we don't know these things.....

Anyway if they take the draft lottery, i hope thats the one lottery  where their numbers don't come up......

I have two luk krung sons that were both born in the USA.  When they were young we got them Thai passports as well as USA passports.  Later we moved to Thailand for two years but ended up staying for 12.  Moved back to the USA so that the kids could go to university in the USA.  My Thai wife passed away from brain cancer in 2005 when they were both 19 & 17.  As my wife owned two houses and a condo we wanted to transfer the property into my oldest son's name.  Had to wait a year until he reached the legal age of 20 to do so.  He got his Thai ID as well and we transferred the property without too much of a hassle.  (just the normal Thai bureaucracy!)  No mention was ever made of his not registering for the draft lottery.  My youngest son does not have his Thai ID. 

In the event that they want to return to Thailand to work we were advised to contact a lawyer that works in this area.  There are ways to get around this especially given their now advancing age.

Frankly, I am amazed you are even considering participating in this feudal practice! (What's your son's and wife's opinion?) Regardless of how your scenario plays out, there will be ample time for your son to leave Thailand with his manhood intact. At worst, it will require he stays away until after age 21, at least under the present system. 

• 5 months later...

I have heard of this problem in Korea. Some people having already been in the US military and they try drafting them into the Korean military. Everyone must serve in Korea, is this the same in Thailand?

I have heard of this problem in Korea. Some people having already been in the US military and they try drafting them into the Korean military. Everyone must serve in Korea, is this the same in Thailand?

No not the same.  They have to make themselves available for the draft into the services when they are asked.  Then they have to go through a medical and if they pass that, they go into a lottery.  The number drawn from the lottery depends on how many they need to draft and you are just lucky or unlucky in the draw.  The remainder go home and are not called again.  

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

KInd of off topic, but I worked with a Greek who'd lived in Aus all his life. He went to Greeece for a wedding and was arrested at the airport when leaving, as apparently all Greek males have to do national service. Took him a few weeks to get it sorted and leave the country. This was a while ago. I believe the laws are less strict on it now.

I would consult with an attorney.  It would seem that they would not be required to register for the Thai draft if they are British citizens.

Archived