Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Indian Civilization's influence on Thailand

may I also pointout that sanskrit is the first language known to human civilization .zero and decimal are indias gift to the world.no calculation(airtmaticaly) is possible without the two.

Disagree on first statement, second statements are very true, modern world simply not possible without zero [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucifer, this is interesting - I was aware of the influence of Indian culture on Thailand to some extent.

Another thing is, you often see the Hindu Elephant God Ganesh incorporated in festivals, ceremonies and places of worship. And probably others.

In fact one bargirl - Pen, at RedPoint I recall - has a huge Ganesh tattoo on her back. Sorry I don't have a picture (of her back).

With Buddhism originating in India its no wonder it has influenced a lot of SEA countries.

Ganesh is know as Phra Pikanet in Thailand and his many arms/hands holding different objects is believed to mean someone who pays respect to him will never go without. For some odd reason you often see a small mouse on the base of his statues.

Hanuman and the more common Thai deity Phra Rahu have various interconnecting stories.

All Monks chant in Pali which as has been posted a very old language akin to our Latin. Its hard to learn as there is no direct translation from Pali to English only Pali to Thai and then onto English.

Keep posting OP this is a subject I love reading about.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's irony that those differences do occur.

My few comments are as follows:

1) God Hanuman in Thailand is famed as 'Quin-Ho'. My exGF family in Isaan worships him and they are pure vegetarians too.

2) @Lavista, if ancient Hindu temples were for Elites, why were there the strongholds of Church and Mosques? Why SouthAmerican continent was attacked repeatedly? The first islamic attacker of India, Mohd Binqasim was sent to attack India for gold by his Priests or Prophets.

3) Lord Buddha was not traveling on Cadillac to whole of SEA to preach his views and knowledge. He went to China via Himalayan passes through NE India. So, you can see the influence of Buddhism along the region.

4) The great King Asoka who, mind you guys, was not Buddhist by birth. It was only after defeat of Kalinga that he couldn't find peace and followed later a Buddhist monk, Upgupta. Then he converted to Buddhism and sent his monks to various parts of the world. Buddha never visited Ceylon or SriLanka, or Afghanistan. These were monks sent by King Asoka who spread the religion. Bamiyan statue is just an example. At one time the 99% of Indian population was converted to Buddhism under Asoka. Then this Rishi Aadi Shankaracharya, who took 'Sanyasa'(sacrifice of worldly pleasures) at age of 9 and studied Vedas. He migrated from village to village, having spiritual debates and reconverted the people back to Sanaatan Dharma.

5) All in all, this thread by OP, I am sure is not to have political influence over anywhere but to be looked upon respectfully, not to the person in particular but only to the culture and civilization as a whole.

6) Ignorant & shameless batch of Indians are not being respected in India too, leave alone Thailand or any SEA nation. But, generalization on that basis is ironical.

Not just Thailand.

India is the founder of human civilisation.

Stick to the factual evidences mate...not just boasting. People may believe only if you have substance in your 'verdict'.

The negative depiction of Indians in some topics is largely based upon a select few that have little awareness of social behaviour/etiquette and mannerisms. Now whether this is deliberate ignorance or a national characteristic  I don't know and I don't believe it is. Statements such as these are often prefaced with this is not indicative of all Indian people.and I don't believe it's limited to a cultural aspect either. As I've read similar topics made about Chinese people.
These are big countries, huge populaces, and if you want to get ahead Yeah sometimes certain behaviours that we ourselves might see as a "standard" get missed. *This is not an excuse made for poor behaviour. 

Be that as it may, lets face it - every culture on suffers from this. e.g. I watched a group of yobbos from my home country belittle a member of staff at my hotel for no sensible reason, naturally we were disgusted and I was embarrassed as we were the only other Aussies staying at the hotel at the time. We apologised to the staff  member for the behaviour of our country men. But acted like it was no thing, he said something to affect of - There's one in every bunch

Stick to the factual evidences mate...not just boasting. People may believe only if you have substance in your 'verdict'.

Boasting?

Verdict?

Google translate?

People can believe what they like. 

Alternatively, If they want the truth they should do the research to verify for themselves!

If a baby is always being spoon fed how can you expect it to eat on its own one day?

Will post more extensively when I get back from LOS. The question one should ask is not what parts of Thai culture influenced by Indic civilization but what parts are NOT.

Boasting?

Verdict?

Google translate?

People can believe what they like.

Alternatively, If they want the truth they should do the research to verify for themselves!

If a baby is always being spoon fed how can you expect it to eat on its own one day?

Calm Down mate!

Indian culture is deeper and humble. People will notice it someday. Just for the sake of thread, if you will claim it without justifying, people will only think you are boasting...we know what it is!

Like I said, Indians are not praising their culture for political or economic benefits like colonial powers do but just to show some respect.

Indian culture is deeper and humble. People will notice it someday. Just for the sake of thread, if you will claim it without justifying, people will only think you are boasting...we know what it is!

Like I said, Indians are not praising their culture for political or economic benefits like colonial powers do but just to show some respect.

No idea what you are trying to say.  Your English is all over the place.

No idea what you are trying to say. Your English is all over the place.

Go find a corner for yourself dude!

I am not saying anything against. May peace be with you...lol!

• 4 weeks later...

Lucifer...really nice topic.

I haven't read all the posts in this topic, I will read it later when I have more time.

But my concern is more the influence of Indian civilization in SEA, not just Thailand. Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Indonesia (I don't know about Malaysia and Philippines kingdom history) all have trail to Indian and Chinese civilization. The historical building, the name of many Kingdom and King in the history, the religion, the cuisine etc.

Even the first spread of moslem in SEA is not coming from Middle East, but from the trader of Indian.

Archived