IGNORED

Business Wanted

pattayaman2001

so your wife sounds like a Thai version of Sean Connery? :GoldenSmile1:

Yes. Last time we were on holiday there were young guys carrying on in the lift and she couldn't get in. She lost it and shouted 'I'm going to kick yer bos ya wee arseholes' They were shocked...Lol

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep

Ignore the nay nayers

If you do not give it a go you may regret it later in life

It it fails so what at least you tryed

Many ex pats make an ok /good living from guest houses/restaurants in patts

That's EXACTLY how I feel too.

This idea has been on my mind for a long time now. 2009 we had a restaurant in Cambodia and Her food went down a storm. The local ex-pats loved it. Some nights we had 70 bums on seats.

We gave it up simply because I realised Cambodia wasn't the place to bring my kids. There was a horrific crash outside our restaurant one day when a baby on the back of a bike had it's head smashed in on the ground after a crash. I felt sick, my Wife was crying. After that day we decided to leave. The medical facilities were terrible in that Country, it was a bad choice from day one.

The business itself was good, we learned a lot, how to bring people in etc and of course I had a business permit I could work. Unlike Thailand.

But now is Her chance to do it in Her own Country amongst Her own people. She managed and controlled Khmers around her so easily it was amazing to watch. She got Khmer prices at markets, pretending to be a Khmer that couldn't talk they didn't know she was Thai and sold to her at Khmer prices...lol Smart as fuck.

Her Auntie is a Pattaya Business women, runs Karaoke bars and scares the shit right out of me she's one scary ruthless Woman and loves Her niece to bits. She's very well connected with Police, motorbike boys the lot. Nobody will give us grief that's for sure. She offered to go check out farang businesses for sale for us while we are here but Her turning up with Thai heavies I don't think would go down well. We declined her kind offer...

Now's Her chance to shine and I believe what She can do... just over 4 weeks and we get there.

No hurry at first if it takes a Month or two to find something, so be it. If we fail so be it. But we WANT TO TRY.

Would just simply like to say good luck,i love people who give something the believe in.i feel you know what you are getting into and have as good a chance as anyone

Would just simply like to say good luck,i love people who give something the believe in.i feel you know what you are getting into and have as good a chance as anyone

Thanks for that.

I'm certainly not a first timer that's fell in love with Pattaya and wants to throw all my money away in a bar.

I've been in and out of love with Pattaya for years now. I've watched people running bars and failing. I've also watched people running bars and succeeding. 

If it weren't for her cooking skills and talents I wouldn't consider it. This is all about her and what she can do.

I know the odds are against us making it and quite frankly you wont hear any sour grapes from if we fail. I'll enjoy every day in Pattaya, wakening up to the sunshine, the hustle and bustle and just be thankful I've seen another day in my favourite place.

Cheers thanks for your post. 

Here is the thing about having a business here. You're going to have to deal with the Thais whether it be employees, government, police etc and knowing what most knowledgeable expats know, it's not worth it.

I always suggest that anyone wanting to own a business here just stand in the middle of the road and hand out your money there...less frustrating.

Here is the thing about having a business here. You're going to have to deal with the Thais whether it be employees, government, police etc and knowing what most knowledgeable expats know, it's not worth it.

I always suggest that anyone wanting to own a business here just stand in the middle of the road and hand out your money there...less frustrating.

Running a business is more difficult than collecting a paycheck... everywhere!

There are foreigners who are successful with businesses in Thailand. How did they do it?

Hi

I got a quite new empty place at The Cliff at Pratumnak Hill/Cosy Beach. The local is only 52.3 m2, but it is a very nice pavement (about 5 yards) outside the premises , where I guess you can have tables for guests. My "shop" is one of nine along a shopping arcade just below The Cliff Condominium with about 420 condos (every condos almost sold out). The condo owners started to move in in August this year. The area has increased a lot lately and will continue to increase. If you are interested contact me with your email address.

one big drawback of china garden is that it's located in cheap charlie central, i.e. near soi buakhow, in soi lengkee, without a real baht bus route nearby.

Pattayaman, to be successful you will need a prime location on the main baht bus route, i.e. on second road or on beach road.

Soi Buakhow is a main baht bus route as well.

It is yes. On a bahtbus route would be nice but I don't know that's it's necessary too be honest.

Even a Soi just off the bahtbus route could be possible.

I've had a few replies about Jomtien and I must admit I've never really considered that area. Should I? 

It is yes. On a bahtbus route would be nice but I don't know that's it's necessary too be honest.

Even a Soi just off the bahtbus route could be possible.

I've had a few replies about Jomtien and I must admit I've never really considered that area. Should I? 

In general Jomtien is not a good place for a business. Everyone in the Pattaya area goes to central Pattaya at one time or another (residents of Naklua, Jomtien, dark side, etc.) but most people from outside of Jomtien rarely go there. The exception is if you plan to start a business catering to Russians since they are becoming the dominant demographic in that area. You will also have cheaper rents in Jomtien and it is possible you will get a good following among the expat residents since nearby eating options are limited.

By the way, you don't plan on using msg in your food do you? Msg is the sco of a lot of the food out here (especially the Thai food)

I agree that there are quite a few baht buses going up and down soi buakhow, but it's a closed system, i.e. there is no way to hop on a baht bus in Naklua, Jomtien, Beach Road or Second Road and to be taken to soi buakhow. So it remains an unpractical destination for many people.

If one asks the drivers where they go, SMILE! as the bus just transformed into a private hire for 300 baht, LOL.

Location, Location, Location... for maximum frequentation, I wouldn't choose another location than on second road or beach road. Many visitors don't even leave that area during their stay.

Pratamnak... honestly, who goes to pratamnak? ok, expats who heard about the restaurant will visit, but again, visitors staying in downtown Pattaya won't - I don't even know where to hop on a baht bus to go to Pratamnak?

If the new place should cater to expats, a car park is needed nearby.

Another place worth checking out is royal garden mall. I think there is free parking for 3 hours and on the uppermost floor there are restaurants near "food wave". Restaurants there are mostly empty though, because there is not much passage, but on the other hand what's on offer is not attractive either.

IMO, a winning place is one that has all three:

- street frontage with lots of passage

- directly on a baht bus route

- parking lot/building

another idea might be to look at hotels with restaurants. often, these restaurants aren't too successful, and if the hotel is well-situated, it might have the required street frontage, car park and baht bus route. They might be interested in sharing profits with a strong-going restaurant.

Purely meant as constructive critique but bear in mind you are only as strong as your weakest link. Whilst your foods may be second to none, have you ever employed Thai's? If not it may be worth exploring that area because you will have problems there for sure. Ranging from the cook who turns up late for work because it was raining, to the waitress who cant read your menu in English........................................., I am unfortunately talking from experience here. Employing Thais is a unique experience and the words ''i forgot'' are forever etched on my mind.

Purely meant as constructive critique but bear in mind you are only as strong as your weakest link. Whilst your foods may be second to none, have you ever employed Thai's? If not it may be worth exploring that area because you will have problems there for sure. Ranging from the cook who turns up late for work because it was raining, to the waitress who cant read your menu in English........................................., I am unfortunately talking from experience here. Employing Thais is a unique experience and the words ''i forgot'' are forever etched on my mind.

My Wife's the cook, nobody else.

Her Family will help Her run the business.

We employed Khmers before and what a nightmare that was...

Do not be put off by nay sayers, However do not even attempt it if you have failed to do your own research and lack the skills to make a full business plan along with cash flow projections etc. add to that the need for detailed and tried portion control.

Do not be relying on "family" who are going to help you out, nor make assumptions about anything you lack experience in. Be aware that initially anything that can go wrong will and be prepared for Thai bureaucracy to drive you to the brink insanity.

Having said that, there is money to be Made in Thailand despite all those with their repeated quotes regards bringing big fortunes to make small ones. Know your market, look to your branding, select your advertising carefully and within a pre-configured advertising budget.  Finally, work hard but more importantly work clever and put customer service at the forefront of everything you do.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Do not be put off by nay sayers, However do not even attempt it if you have failed to do your own research and lack the skills to make a full business plan along with cash flow projections etc. add to that the need for detailed and tried portion control.

Do not be relying on "family" who are going to help you out, nor make assumptions about anything you lack experience in. Be aware that initially anything that can go wrong will and be prepared for Thai bureaucracy to drive you to the brink insanity.

Having said that, there is money to be made in Thailand despite all those with their repeated quotes regards bringing big fortunes to make small ones. Know your market, look to your branding, select your advertising carefully and within a pre-configured advertising budget.  Finally, work hard but more importantly work clever and put customer service at the forefront of everything you do.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Thank you very much.

We've met a few times by the way, in your great establishment...

I must admit I'm getting some real good posts and advice on this forum. Thanks and keep it coming.

Thanks for that.

I'm certainly not a first timer that's fell in love with Pattaya and wants to throw all my money away in a bar.

I've been in and out of love with Pattaya for years now. I've watched people running bars and failing. I've also watched people running bars and succeeding. 

If it weren't for her cooking skills and talents I wouldn't consider it. This is all about her and what she can do.

I know the odds are against us making it and quite frankly you wont hear any sour grapes from if we fail. I'll enjoy every day in Pattaya, wakening up to the sunshine, the hustle and bustle and just be thankful I've seen another day in my favourite place.

Cheers thanks for your post. 

well i wish you luck you will need it but as the saying goes,, it is bettar to try and fail as to never try at all so good luck in your venture

well i wish you luck you will need it but as the saying goes,, it is bettar to try and fail as to never try at all so good luck in your venture

Jinkee... that's EXACTLY my attitude and know what if we last a year, two years or more I'll walk away with my head held high.

We or I should say She has a great product, ex-pats will love it. Truth is even if we are doing OK I might say fuck it and go Home after a year or so and do it in the UK. I never settle in the one place I've moved so many times in my life.

Lived in Scotland, England, France for a while. Texas, Nigeria, China, The Netherlands, Ireland, Thailand, Cambodia... I've been around then some.

I love Thailand but get pretty bored there also.

I want to give the ex-pats a taste of this... I want to get pissed and have party nights. We lose we lose. Fuck it.

Good Luck to You.

Advertise on PA for a successful business.

If you get all the Mongers on PA to frequent your business, it will be a resounding success. 

If you have a All Day Breakfast, it would help as many PA do not rise till noon............or later

A good omelet would help, made with butter, as ALL the omelets I've had are watery and tasteless.

GOOD LUCK again.

Good Luck to You.

If you get all the Mongers on PA to frequent your business, it will be a resounding success. 

If you have a All Day Breakfast, it would help as many PA do not rise till noon............or later

A good omelet would help, made with butter, as ALL the omelets I've had are watery and tasteless.

GOOD LUCK again.

Thank you very much for these words. We'll do our best.

Good Luck to You.

GOOD LUCK again.

and don't piss off the fat ones, 5555555555555555555555555555!

and don't piss off the fat ones, 5555555555555555555555555555!

Oof... that's too late. we're planning to do low calorie meals and kids meals. Also going to offer a stomach stapling and jaw wiring service.

I'll do ANYTHING for my customers xxxxx

Archived