IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guest House - Room 1C -Review

up2u2

The Canterbury Tales Guest House Cafe & Bookshop

Soi Chaiyapoon

Room 1C

Cost: 600 Baht (Actual = 644 Baht per night (+FREE Wi-Fi)

Total: 1800 Baht (Actual = 1932 Baht 3 nights)

Check In: Friday 16th August 2013

Check Out: Monday 19th August 2013

Total Stay: 3 Nights

Booking:  [email protected]

Website:  http://www.canterburytalescafe.com/  (The website has just recently been completely re done)

Deposit: Booking deposit required 50 Pounds? Also 500 Baht room key security deposit on arrival

Features:

Separate Kitchen and bedroom areas with raised indoor balcony area, Air conditioner, Floor Fan, Room Safe (small - older style), Wi-Fi (FREE, excellent speed, reliable), Flat screen TV(cable channels Fox News, BBC News, Aust TV, Sport, Aljazeera  etc), DVD Player, BIG!! Fridge,  Ensuite Bathroom. Consider this a Deluxe Room with full kitchen cooking facilities. Electric Jug, knives, spoons, folks, cups, Toaster, Microwave, Stove top, private entrance, ‘Girl Friendly’ no ID check. No lift (not needed for 1C), no soap, no sink plug.

Centrally located in Pattaya on Soi Chaiyapoon. Within a ‘stones throw’ of Soi LK Metro precinct, Soi Dianna Beer Bars, a number of massage with ‘extras’ a couple of doors down, Soi Honey (early) massage with ‘extras ‘precinct, short walk to Sugar Sugar, Funhouse (new), Oasis (on corner), SWhowgirls, Crystal Club, Champagne (currently closed for renos), Queens Club Ago Go’s (to many to list). An easy walk to Soi Lengkee restaurants and Beer Bars. A number of Beer Bars located on the Soi Chaiyapoon itself and 24hr Family Mart & 7-11 located around the corner on Soi Lengkee. Soi Chaiyapoon is now the new location for Lolitas Pattaya and is about two doors up. Easy access to Walking Street via baht Bus  (10 Baht) on Soi Bua Khao. 60 Baht MotoCy Taxi to Soi 6. Plenty of Laundries and an Internet shop. Witherspoons is just around the corner on Soi Bua Khao for All the Sport you would like to watch. It really is a great location and street noise was no problem during my stay.

A_CanterburyTalesMap.jpg

Details:

Making a booking was a little difficult as there are buildings A B C & D. Room 1C is located in building C so first you will need to check availability for your dates then you are required to pay a 50 British Pounds deposit via Paypal.

So 50 pounds debits my account $AUD34.18 exchange rate from Super Rich is 29.05 baht per Australian Dollar, equals a payment of 992.93 Baht. On arrival I was charged a further 940 Baht for my 3 night stay which translates into 644 Baht per night for the room and not the 600 Baht per night as advertised on the Website.

The upside is I am now a fully qualified Forex Currency Trader.

I found making a booking a little confusing.

When paying the deposit via PayPal it was set up to capture the depositor’s home address.  If you don’t want this to happen have a PO Box listed with PayPal and select it.

Nice sized room aircon was fine. Other Than making Tea and Coffee I didn’t use the cooking facilities but I would expect it would get hot in that area. The cooking area did have a door to section it off from the bedroom area. Had no problem with noise other than the comforting sounds of giggling BG’s. TV reception was tuned in. One flight of stairs wasn’t a problem for me.

Security

Being on the second floor with no open balcony and windows that lock securely and room safe the room itself seems secure. However the front door is Tap to unlock. The thing is if you gave the door a slight pull after closing it, it came open. The magnetic lock mechanism must be faulty. There was a sign that instructed people not to pull the door open?

B.jpg

Hopefully potential thieves read English and simply do not pull the door open and gain access.

Crooked things drive me NUTS!!!! I think I may be borderline OCD. On first inspection everything seemed to be in order until I made a cup of tea to relax and settle in.

I give you exhibit A:

D.jpg

Bloody Somchai’s had a crack at pottery. Lord Buddha give me strength. With no other cup to be found and with great reluctance I had no choice but to use the cup. On filling the cup it was patently obvious that the high side was under filled while the lower side was over filled and when drinking your right nostril is nearly snorting Tea while the lower side dribbles Tea down your chin. No offense Somchai but you’re an idiot!!!!!

C.jpg

If anyone can help me with what these candles are as they didn’t smell very good. It was okay after the room aired a little but at first the odour was a little overwhelming.

Cons:

A few stairs if on a higher floor. No soap or plug. The raised enclosed balcony could do with a couple of stairs to make it easier to get up and down. The Power Key slot seemed to have a mind of its own. A couple of times it cut the power off. Those candles smelt at first. Could do with a ‘woman’s touch’ to make it a little more ‘homier’ in respect of decor. The Family Mart and 7-11 is a bit of a walk around to Soi Lengkee. All minor things really.

Wrap Up:

The booking process is a little confusing and the end price didn’t match the advertised price on the Website but still people looking for a room with kitchen facilities it is still VERY good value at 644 baht per night. Hot water was excellent. Coming and going is private and 24 hour access. The room is clean and tidy and room service arrives each day early afternoon. The room decore is sparse but comfortable. The WiFi is included and is fast and reliable. Would I book room 1C again? No. The room is clean, tidy and comfortable and a great central Pattaya location but I don’t really need a kitchen. Having said that for many I think it has some great features and the price is certainly right.

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

Not sure about the TV being up so hi

K.jpg

L.jpg

M.jpg

N.jpg

O.jpg

P.jpg

Q.jpg

R.jpg

S.jpg

T.jpg

U.jpg

V.jpg

W.jpg

WA.jpg

WB.jpg

WBA.jpg

WBC.jpg

WC.jpg

WD.jpg

WE.jpg

WF.jpg

WG.jpg

WH.jpg

WI.jpg

WJ.jpg

Room 1C is just above the sign with the enclosed Balcony

WK.jpg

WL.jpg

The Utility car is parked right in front of entry door 24/7 so if you have hired a Motor Bike parking is going to be tricky.

WM.jpg

Sticks out into the Soi a bit.

WN.jpg

X.jpg

Y.jpg

Z.jpg

ZA.jpg

ZAA.jpg

ZB.jpg

Bugger me who is she!!!!! Oh that's right I remember. Sorry about that.

ZC.jpg

ZD.jpg

ZE.jpg

ZF.jpg

ZG.jpg

ZH.jpg

BIG!!!! fridge

ZI.jpg

ZJ.jpg

ZJA.jpg

This is building A down from building C towards Chaiyapoon.

ZJB.jpg

ZJC.jpg

ZJD.jpg

Wonder down for the 90 Baht Breakfast. Not bad at all for 90 Baht

ZJE.jpg

Short Video Showing Room:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NIce review, thinking about staying here (maybe not this room) for my next trip...

Curious about the 44 baht extra...

It is the exchange rates I think 'cools'. Seems to me if the AUD falls against the Pound when they calculate the balance payable on Check In then your out of pocket.

Then again is the AUD appreciates technically it should go the other way.

Bloody hell I don't know lol

Maybe Building A which is the Actual Cafe bookstore building and where the 90 baht breakfast is

Hi up2u2

Did you put this review on the wrong forum earlier lots of jokes and not so

good comments about Canterbury Tales on there.

I did like your review very much but you took it off the forum concerned and

posted it on this forum.

No 'Pheat' the room was fine mate.

Clean tidy comfortable plenty of space.

No way I would use the term 'slum'

I have stayed in smaller rooms and paid twice the price.

Hi Rainsberger

Correct.

I felt I needed to do a re write as people here may not be familiar with my warped sense of humour.

I have five more Guest House Reviews to do so I will warm the next ones up a bit. lol

That last review was just getting trashed mate and I felt it wasn't fair on Canterbury Tales as a business

wow, now that has to be the most detailed report ever - well done

so what's the shopping round there like?

your "friend" seems nice. did you get many bar fines around the area

a little dated but for 600baht a night including a full kitchen you cant complain

La La Land Bar & Sky Bar Soi 6 Pattaya

Thanks Jason I try to make my reviews with as much detail as possible so you can see if it is right for you and what you are looking for.

Sorry about my 'friend' getting mixed up in the photos there. Very unprofessional of me.

BF's galore around this area all standard 300 Baht BF & 1000 baht ST 1500 Baht LT no problem at all.

In fact it would be harder to slip off a log greased with pig fat. lol

Great detailed review up2u2, as usual.

Thanks for posting.

BTW : what about Baygon spray (pesticide use for flies, cockroaches, spiders and other insects)

Thanks Benny

It was those candles that smelt. At first I thought it may be mould or mildew but the room was VERY clean and fresh so I went in search and found those candles that were the exact match.

They must be some kind of fumigating candle being as they are with the Baygon.

I hope Dave can shed a light on the extra 44 baht. 

It just depends when you convert the Pounds into Baht and calculate the balance owing.

It could actually go the other way.

Anyway $1.50 no big deal. Not even a LD for a cute BG lol

Oh, I see, you didn't pay 'cash Baht', but used a foreign currency to pay?

actually

the site says 650

so technically you need to send him 18 baht :)

Oh, I see, you didn't pay 'cash Baht', but used a foreign currency to pay?

Kinda sorta Cools

The deposit for a forward booking is paid via Paypal and is required to be made in British Pounds. So if you are American you will forward 50 Pounds via Paypal.

So to lock in my 3 day booking I transferred via Paypal 50 British Pounds which at the time debited my Australian Bank Account $AUD34.18. I got the current exchange rate AUD/Baht from Super Rich which was 29.05 Baht per $AUD1. So effectively I have paid 992.93 baht towards my booking. On arrival I paid a further 940 Baht being the balance of my 3 night booking.

Total paid = 1932.93 / 3 = 644.31 Baht per night.

Ordinarily the moment I saw British Pounds as a deposit I would not follow through with a booking. As you can see all to complicated.

I remember once I was going to make a booking with Irish Rovers but they used a Internet payment platform I have never heard of. Had to sign up to a whole new banking system  to make a deposit. Baled straight away.

actually

the site says 650

so technically you need to send him 18 baht :)

lol Jason mate I have it in writing in front of me.

"Cost via Website 600 Baht Per Night"

I am pretty strict with documenting everything when I know I am doing a review.

I logged onto the site when I got back last week to do the review and noticed the site has been completely re done. I totally new site.

Actually when paying via PayPal it captures your home address. Do you think I will get a tap on my door with someone saying "Ay boyo where's me 18 Baht!!!!!!" lmao

Actually when paying via PayPal it captures your home address. Do you think I will get a tap on my door with someone saying "Ay boyo where's me 18 Baht!!!!!!" lmao

i'd collect it for a 50% commission :)

A very thorough & detailed review with good pictures, looking forward to the other reviews of the places you stayed at.  Soi Chaiyapoon & the surrounding area is a good location to stay in, and the guesthouses are really good value. 

i'd collect it for a 50% commission :)

lmao no problem mate I'll buy you a Beer for your trouble

I am sure I can fix you up with 27 Baht in actual Baht mate lol

A very thorough & detailed review with good pictures, looking forward to the other reviews of the places you stayed at.  Soi Chaiyapoon & the surrounding area is a good location to stay in, and the guesthouses are really good value. 

Thanks Jay great to hear from you mate.

Next up we are off to Bangkok for a couple of days.

What about staying on Soi 4 for 560 Baht per night? lol

Excellent detailed review.  This is the kind of thing people like to read when deciding on a guesthouse.

Thanks!

The deposit is for booking or does it get minus in the room cost? From what I understand, it's extra?

The deposit is for booking or does it get minus in the room cost? From what I understand, it's extra?

The deposit is to secure a confirmed booking and the amount is always deducted from the total room cost.

So 3 nights at 600 baht per night Total 1800 Baht less deposit of 1000 baht balance payable on arrival 800 baht. Many Guest Houses / hotel charge a 'Key Deposit' refunded when you return the room key.

Canterbury Tales charges 500 baht room key deposit which is refunded when returning the room key on check out.

Excellent detailed review.  This is the kind of thing people like to read when deciding on a guesthouse.

Thanks!

Thanks niteray I thought this room was comfortable and good value and anyone where kitchen facilities is a must I don't think you can go past this one for price.

Archived