IGNORED

Learn Thai from a White Guy

commandod999

I thought I would just post a quick review of a book I recently went through from the 'learn thai from a white guy' website.

I have recently been through the 'learn to read thai in 2 weeks' book.

I already knew the consonants and vowels, however had never put the effort into learning the tones, so thought I would use this to get me to a better standard of reading.

The first couple of chapters started off really well, I was quite impressed with the way things were being put across, and there was some humor thrown in for good measure. The anki files that accompany the book worked quite well as well. However as the book went on it felt very rushed, like the author just wanted to get it finished. For example chapter 8 talkes about the second tone mark with middle class consonants without ever actually telling you it produces a falling tone.
Another thing I think is a let down is you don't get the proper names of every letter. You get the names for some, and the rest you're just left to know the sound from the context used without ever learning the proper names for all of them. The majority of the low class consonants are just completely ignored and only introduced to you in words.

You also don't learn the numbers, there's a paragraph on reading numbers, but not actually teaching what the symbols for the numbers are.
One last point, which I noticed from the one time I went through the book, is your never introduced to the consonant ฮ
You're given other rare and obsolete consonants thrown in at the end but ฮ is never mentioned.

Like I said I already knew how to read before hand, just without the tones, but if you we're a complete beginner as this book is aimed at, it certainly doesn't give you everything you need to 'read thai in 2 weeks.'

I was let down by this book especially for the price, $47 is a lot of money for a PDF file with some anki sound cards which don't even give you all the letters of the alphabet required to actually read.

There are better 'free' way to learn to read on the internet, so if anyone does come across this and considers getting it, save your money.

after all writen by a white guy should have pricked up your ears for caution BUT if you save someone elses cash then your post on the subject was worth it, you could try to sell it on E,bay get something back!

Don't get me wrong he seems to know his stuff. He offers tutoring etc and has a website with some good material on it.

Just the book feels like it was a half hearted attempt. I searched for reviews before purchase and only read good ones, now I realise these must be his friends that posted these, I put my review on his website and it was deleted within minutes.

He emailed and said thanks for the review, and that he had loads of people proof read the book and hired editors, however I went through it once in a day or two, and picked up those mistakes so there might be more. 

I think telling you what tone the second tone mark produces is quite important when learning to read, as well as learning the consonant ฮ. For a book thats supposed to teach you to read, I would expect these to be included, or maybe there will be a part 2 :)

• 2 weeks later...

after all writen by a white guy should have pricked up your ears for caution BUT if you save someone elses cash then your post on the subject was worth it, you could try to sell it on E,bay get something back!

So...........written by a White Guy is a pompem because?

If the Guy is White?

• 1 month later...

I am keen to learn Thai

Been there 5-6 times and not really done anything towards it

If I travel there for say 3-4 weeks 

1. Where should I go to learn?

2. What can I expect from say 3-4 hours one 2 one tutoring per day

3. what do I expect to pay for the course?

Any help ?

I have used PLC language school, think it was 5,700 baht for 20 hour one on one sessions. 2 hour lessons, 3 times a week.

But to be honest I didn't get anything out of it. The teacher was just used to teaching the very basic beginner stuff.

If you're serious about learning, then take the time to learn how to read, this will greatly improve your ability to learn the language.

• 3 months later...

I have used PLC language school, think it was 5,700 baht for 20 hour one on one sessions. 2 hour lessons, 3 times a week.

But to be honest I didn't get anything out of it. The teacher was just used to teaching the very basic beginner stuff.

If you're serious about learning, then take the time to learn how to read, this will greatly improve your ability to learn the language.

I know people say learning how to read Thai greatly improves it but I really don't have the time; I do have time to just listen to CDS while I work, not all the time otherwise I,ll put someone in danger 'LOL' need to concentrate.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

• 3 years later...

Anyone tried this 'Learn To read Thai in two weeks' more recently? Since the OP did the course in 2013, the 'white guy' has switched it to an online course, and charges over $100 (U.S.). A lot of money for that, but I would like to learn some reading skills before attempting a formal Thai language class.

By the way, I also noticed a 'Learn to read Thai in 10 Days' book available written by a headmaster at Duke Language school in Bangkok. Anyone tried that? It is available for a much more appealing price, less than $20.

Forget trying to read Thai and concentrate on speaking it. Books only supplement the classroom or what u r learning on the ground.

Numbers are the key to picking it up.

We use numbers all day everyday.

Every step you take 

Concentrate

Count in Thai and you will begin to think in Thai subliminally.

Go for a swim and count every stroke backwards,forwards.

You will count to 100 in 2 days.

Likely in the minority here but the internet program "learn Thai from a White Guy," to me its an outstanding program. You have to have the time to put into it yes. And it's pricey yes. But it works if you dedicate yourself to it.

the folks who say, learn it verbally but don't worry about reading / writing , are partly correct. It'll work, if you have a good ear for the precise sounds and tones.  But ...that will only get you to very basic conversational Thai. Nothing wrong with that if that's your goal. 

the main advantage of this program is, you learn the basics SOUNDS of the Thai language from the THAI alphabet. That gives you the building blocks for further learning.  If you learn from transliterated English spellings, you get into bad habits because the Thai letters do NOT match the sounds of the English letters. 

Thai alphabet is very difficult and NOT as "fun" a way to learn ... BUT it's a better way to learn.  I know most people don't agree. 

Don't believe the "learn in 2 weeks" stuff but if you stick with it it will open doors for you.

Such a thrill when you can first read the words on the store signs etc -- you probably haven't felt that thrill since you were 4-5 years old and learning to read English.

I'm keen on learning to read Thai as well. It won't be as valuable as speaking but why not try and do both? Seems to be a lot of books, e-books, and online courses around so I'm looking for some great recommendations. I already saw the intro video for this white guy course on FB, and must admit I was totally put off by the price. I need some more convincing before parting with that kind of money.

10 hours ago, shadowcat said:

Forget trying to read Thai and concentrate on speaking it. Books only supplement the classroom or what u r learning on the ground.

I don't agree with you here.  If you really want to understand the language knowing how to read is essential.  Knowing how to read also gives you a greater understanding of the Thai culture.  An example of this is being able to read Thai poetry.  Many more examples to numerous to list.

But I would say you are correct on concentrating on speaking if you just want to know that basics to be able to get around outside of the English speaking tourist areas.  I also agree that one of the best methods to learn is 'on the ground'.

If anybody intends on learning the Thai language my best advice is to have perseverance.  Like with learning any new skill the more you put into it the more you get out of it.  

10 hours ago, shadowcat said:

Numbers are the key to picking it up.

We use numbers all day everyday.

Every step you take 

Concentrate

Count in Thai and you will begin to think in Thai subliminally.

Go for a swim and count every stroke backwards,forwards.

You will count to 100 in 2 days.

and then when you finally do learn to read, you will need to relearn half your vocabulary because it will be wrong.

Here ya go, I used their books and cassette tapes to learn in the 80's using these books https://www.amazon.com/Language-Center-Thai-Course-Book/dp/0877275068.

Scroll down to the free videos.

http://auathai.com/reading-writing-videos#bks

http://auathai.com/videos

56 minutes ago, Mognam said:

.  If you really want to understand the language knowing how to read is essential.  Knowing how to read also gives you a greater understanding of the Thai culture.  

Yes agreed.On both.

Depends what level of communication the OP  wants to reach.

If you have time learning to read write and speak Thai makes sense.

With any constraints though you might be better concentrating on the spoken word IMHO.

6 minutes ago, shadowcat said:

Yes agreed.On both.

Depends what level of communication the OP  wants to reach.

If you have time learning to read write and speak Thai makes sense.

With any constraints though you might be better concentrating on the spoken word IMHO.

Trust me, don't learn to read and you will mangle the accent and get a lot of push back about speaking Thai because it will hurt their ears.

59 minutes ago, kahoy said:

and then when you finally do learn to read, you will need to relearn half your vocabulary because it will be wrong.

I get your point and sure mistakes will be made and corrected.

However I remain convinced that for many that will never continue on with their Thai studies that learning how to speak should be a priority.

Of course the more dedicated student would be better off studying   reading ,writing and speaking at the same time.

The Thai alphabet does my head in so I would rather just talk and skip the reading and writing.

Each to their own.

3 minutes ago, kahoy said:

Trust me, don't learn to read and you will mangle the accent and get a lot of push back about speaking Thai because it will hurt their ears.

One day I will learn  how to read  up till now I haven,t been bothered.

Sure I mangle the accent.

Any push back is a good Correction.No problem.

I am relating what worked for me and it won,t hurt the OP get different opinions.

I maintain that unless you are serious about learning Thai stick to the spoken version.

Talk.Talk .Talk.

On 11/15/2013 at 13:08, chris_2012 said:

I am keen to learn Thai

Been there 5-6 times and not really done anything towards it

If I travel there for say 3-4 weeks 

1. Where should I go to learn?

2. What can I expect from say 3-4 hours one 2 one tutoring per day

3. what do I expect to pay for the course?

Any help ?

2 Hours tuition is enough. It gives the brain more time to absorb.

In my neck of the woods kids learn how to speak English first.

Reading and writing come after.

Sinatra couldn,t read music.

17 minutes ago, shadowcat said:

In my neck of the woods kids learn how to speak English first. Reading and writing come after.

That's true of 2 year olds and who are not learning a second language.

1 minute ago, kahoy said:

That's true of 2 year olds and who are not learning a second language.

Ok.

I know what worked for me.

Learning spoken Thai has worked out just fine for me.

As I said one day I may learn how to read and write.

Speaking has proved practical enough .

5 minutes ago, shadowcat said:

Ok.

I know what worked for me.

Learning spoken Thai has worked out just fine for me.

As I said one day I may learn how to read and write.

Speaking has proved practical enough .

Whatever works for you but it's not hard. There are only 76 letters, not like Chinese and they typically only use about half of them in everyday use. 2 weeks and the job's done.

Well, I have paid the $100 or so bucks (the 'white guy' website lists the price at $127 but there is a 20 percent off coupon that comes around after you try the four free lessons). Its a lot, but I am interested in giving it a go. I shall report back the results of my likely-to-be humbling experience.

Archived