IGNORED

Songkraan

hamhead

im hopefully going bk in april for Songkraan i just wonted ppl 2 let me no wot its like and if they have any pics and reports

30447168zh0.gif

im hopefully going bk in april for Songkraan i just wonted ppl 2 let me no wot its like and if they have any pics and reports

It's totally crazy in Pattaya, something that you should experience at least once. Obviously be prepared to be in wet clothes for a few days, you haven't got a hope in hell of staying dry. Keep some dry clothes to wear in the hotel as the laundries cannot cope at Songkraan. Be very wary of getting on Motor bikes on the day as people get really drunk and throw water at you, many people are killed each year like this.

At the end of the day a lot of people start using water from puddles for their spray pumps, it is unclean and often results in ear infections. Keep your wallet in a waterproof bag.

Don't be put off by my warnings though. It will be an experience that you will never forget.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

In Pattaya it is mental, a real experience. I would only go back for the last couple of days if I did it again as it starts to get annoying when you're ready to go out and you get soaked when they should have stopped. I've got photos but I just don't have the time to do a trip report.

You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Sometimes easier said than done ~ Me and everyone I know

I am back for songkraan never seen it before does it go all day all night or stop say from 8ish at night then carry on the next day???

I am back for songkraan never seen it before does it go all day all night or stop say from 8ish at night then carry on the next day???

Although it technically lasts for one day you will find that over enthusiastic bar girls and tourists start going for it a couple of days before hand. From my point of view that is a shame as the actual day itself is great and I can enjoy being in wet clothes for that day. The unofficial extension means that you can be wet for 3 days, it gets tiresome once you have been through it a few times.

To their credit it all ends totally at night on the night of Songkraan(it doesn't go on too late, the Thais hate getting cold). The next day nobody will make you wet.That one day is so intense that nobody really wants to go through again.

• 3 weeks later...

if you have never done sonkran before be prepared it is absoloute nuts in a good way.you can not walk down the road without getting soaked at least thats wat its like in pattaya for about a week .if you go soi 7 and 8 its the best never seen anything like it in my life last year great fun.

Excelent advice here.

I did it on my first trip to thailand and it was great fun and a great thing to experience.

It has taken on its own character in the tourist areas though.

It goes on for more days, and wereas its supposed to stop in the evening in areas like pats it pretty much goes on 24/7. Werever there are bars there is water flying about.

This can get annoying pretty quickly, i found after spending all day drinking and water figthing with thai tap water I went back to my hotel for a shower and a nice clean set of clothes for the night.

20 seconds after leaving the hotel I was soaked again.

Well worth the experience but either time it so your only there for a few days at the end or get out on a boat or something during the day.

Went last year and like everyone says it's mental and everyone you see is smiling ,laughing and having a god time but soaked to the skin.It went on for a week last year but the biggest day is obviously the last day where beach road and everywhere else is packed and alot more powder getting thrown about.I stayed on soi 8 last year and normally aroung 11 am you hear the screaming and you know the madness has started but you know you just get out there and enjoy it or spend the day bored in your hotel.Try walking down soi 8 reading a newspaper and see if you'll make it past the first bar!The only thing i did'nt like was the chalk/talc in the eyes and getting blasted at close range,your eyes will be sore alot and alot of people get ear infections like myself from the dirty water but worth experiencing it at least once.

Does this usually happen on the street or does the water fights and chalk happen inside of the bars too?

Everywhere!They usually put polythene over the tills and bar area because the bargirls get blasted with water.The chalk is a pain because people come from behind you and rub your face and it get in your eyes,stings like hell.

i too am looking to go for songkran,but being on my own would this be more of a problem for me?i have been 2 los on my own b fore

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

i too am looking to go for songkran,but being on my own would this be more of a problem for me?i have been 2 los on my own b fore

If you've been twice already you should know that you won't be on your own for long.

no ive been once for a month,and yeah i know that but last time i didnt meet any "boardies"think im gunna make a right effort this time to meet up with some

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

Went last year and like everyone says it's mental and everyone you see is smiling ,laughing and having a god time but soaked to the skin.It went on for a week last year but the biggest day is obviously the last day where beach road and everywhere else is packed and alot more powder getting thrown about.I stayed on soi 8 last year and normally aroung 11 am you hear the screaming and you know the madness has started but you know you just get out there and enjoy it or spend the day bored in your hotel.Try walking down soi 8 reading a newspaper and see if you'll make it past the first bar!The only thing i did'nt like was the chalk/talc in the eyes and getting blasted at close range,your eyes will be sore alot and alot of people get ear infections like myself from the dirty water but worth experiencing it at least once.

i also got ear infection very very bad hurt like hell will be wearing ear plugs this year...

I am gonna be there this year.

Arrive 7 Apr and after a couple of nights in BKK I'm heading for Pattaya and staying til 24 Apr.

Im looking forward to it.

If anybody else is gonna be around we can always hook up.

Cheers Mick

• 3 weeks later...

What are the exact dates to look out for? I arrive in Pattaya on the 15th april, guess that's in time?

Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed.

For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before.

So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome.

Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

reeves.jpg

i was just going to ask about this very subject because i plan to be in the area about that time and my tgf has mentioned it but never told me exactly what its all about - --- but now the game is up....................... all she would say is get wet.and so i thought wet tee shirt comp :CumOnFace: I did not understand but that thought brought a smile too my face and a cheeky grin too boot. (she got the meaning behind my grin and said you naughty...>>>>>>>>>>> not wrong there girl i replied) i still do not know the reason behind it but sounds like a bit off fun.but it could get annoying after a while, i hate water in mee beer!!!!!!!!!!

Is there an actual reason for the festival or is it just one off those mad things people do,,, that ends up a tradition.?

Dates in BKK are 13th-15th,i've been in BKK twice on songkhran,there is a big party type water fest on khao san road on the last day but get there early as they close the street when its to full,when i went there was about half a million peole in the area partying,mental.

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"