IGNORED

Galaxy tablet from US question

fishman64

Can I use a samsung galaxy tablet bought in the USA in thailand? (not bought thru carrier)

I know it will work with wireless router but can I put in a sim card?

Thanks

If it is unlocked, and is 3G compatible it should work without a problem. Grab a sim, and and load it up with enough credit for the amount of data/time U want to use, and you should be set.  In my case, I am with DTAC, they are fine, but one thing, and I am not sure if it is because of how I have set up the sim originally, or it is a network thing, but it uses credit based on time connected to the server rather than the amount of data I have used.... So I remove the sim, when I don't want use the 3G. Just something to be aware of....

I think there are even some 4G areas being set up now, but I am not sure where.

Dual Frequency GSM with SIM - Yes

Check the frequency band specifications.

CDMA devices will not work in Thailand.

I know you're inquiring about a tablet, not a phone, but the unlocked Nexus 4 will work in both Thailand and the Philippines.  This has been discussed extensively on the Philippine-Addicts forum.

Did you buy it from a mobile provider with a term contract, a national retailer, or some shady on-line store?  Most 3G devices sold in USA are sold locked so the providers can subsidize your purchase with the bills you pay later.  I think Google Nexus devices are always sold unlocked.

If you bought from the mobile provider, you can just them ask outright "Hey I'm going on a trip overseas, is my device locked?  Can I put in a foreign SIM?"

I actually travel with two phones -- my USA phone is always available with my USA number in case somebody calls me (nobody ever calls me) or texts me (nobody ever texts me), and I pop sims into my travel phone.

Just people doing business.  Naked.  With Buddha.

Buy imodium before you need imodium.

I know you're inquiring about a tablet, not a phone, but the unlocked Nexus 4 will work in both Thailand and the Philippines.  This has been discussed extensively on the Philippine-Addicts forum.

I think all Google branded devices are unlocked, even the Google Play versions of the Samsung S4 and HTC One. (ie not the standard S4 and One).

I think all Google branded devices are unlocked, even the Google Play versions of the Samsung S4 and HTC One. (ie not the standard S4 and One).

Yes, that is true with the Google Play versions, including the Moto X and LG 2 coming out soon.  They tend to be more expensive because not subsidized by a US Carrier with a 20-to-24-month contract.

The Nexus 4, however, seems to be the most economical option for a multi-band GSM phone that works in both Thailand and the Philippines for $299 from the G-play store.

I actually travel with two phones -- my USA phone is always available with my USA number in case somebody calls me (nobody ever calls me) or texts me (nobody ever texts me), and I pop sims into my travel phone.

I have all my calls forwarded to Google Voice, so I get my voicemail messages delivered to my email.

Also, the Google Voice App works on a WiFi network on my iPod Touch, so I'm able to SMS on it as well to anyone in the USA or Canada.

At this time, Google Voice has limitations - no MMS or International texting capabilities, but may come in the future.

The Nexus 4, however, seems to be the most economical option for a multi-band GSM phone that works in both Thailand and the Philippines for $299 from the G-play store.

Oh and OP don't forget -- if you go this route (Nexus 4 phone), you can set it up as a wi-fi hotspot and use your tablet that way.  Just remember to turn the hotspot off when you aren't using it so your battery lasts longer.

I hav

Did you buy it from a mobile provider with a term contract, a national retailer, or some shady on-line store?  Most 3G devices sold in USA are sold locked so the providers can subsidize your purchase with the bills you pay later.  I think Google Nexus devices are always sold unlocked.

If you bought from the mobile provider, you can just them ask outright "Hey I'm going on a trip overseas, is my device locked?  Can I put in a foreign SIM?"

I have not bought it yet.

I went into sprint and that guy said no. "You need to buy it overseas to get the ability to put in a sim card." is what he said 

Went to best buy and they are clueless.

I went into sprint

Sprint is CDMA, Code Division Multiple Access, which has some advantages over GSM in the USA.  However, CDMA is not wildly compatible in Europe and Asia.

T-Mobile is on GSM.

Sprint is CDMA, Code Division Multiple Access, which has some advantages over GSM in the USA.  However, CDMA is not wildly compatible in Europe and Asia.

T-Mobile is on GSM.

Compatible?

http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-101.html

I hav

I have not bought it yet.

I went into sprint and that guy said no. "You need to buy it overseas to get the ability to put in a sim card." is what he said 

Went to best buy and they are clueless.

With a few exceptions, he's right, you do have to go overseas -- or you can buy from an importer.  Are you connecting anywhere on your way to Thailand? Best case scenario, you have to stay a few days in Hong Kong, you can get anything you want, new or used, for cheap there.  Narita has a bunch of electronics duty-frees (though you pay inflated prices there), or you can take your chances with an on-line store that imports from abroad before you leave (I got a Hong Kong spec Tab 2 that way).  Either way it's a gamble, but probably a better gamble than buying in Thailand.

Yes that will work fine in Thailand. You probably dont need a tablet with a built in sim card as any decent phone will allow you to tether. It is useful to buy a local sim card for your phone in Thailand to save girls numbers and you can add data to this and create your own wifi. This allows you to use tablets that dont have built in sim cards such as the Nexus 10 which imho is the best tablet.

I have all my calls forwarded to Google Voice, so I get my voicemail messages delivered to my email.

Also, the Google Voice App works on a WiFi network on my iPod Touch, so I'm able to SMS on it as well to anyone in the USA or Canada.

At this time, Google Voice has limitations - no MMS or International texting capabilities, but may come in the future.

why don't you use skype???  curious...

Google Voice gets me voicemails from my calls forwarded from my US phone.

GV is a for quick and simple text messages to my friends and family in the USA.

You don't use the Skype-App when simply text'ing (SMS) people while either in Thailand or USA.

Skype is used for a different purpose, primarily for talking to someone.  However, I am aware that some people with Premium Skype accounts use it to make and receive calls from anywhere to anywhere as well.

GV is quick and simple, for quick and simple messages.

Google Voice gets me voicemails from my calls forwarded from my US phone.

GV is a for quick and simple text messages to my friends and family in the USA.

You don't use the Skype-App when simply text'ing (SMS) people while either in Thailand or USA.

Skype is used for a different purpose, primarily for talking to someone.  However, I am aware that some people with Premium Skype accounts use it to make and receive calls from anywhere to anywhere as well.

GV is quick and simple, for quick and simple messages.

ok, will have to play with google voice etc on my new android phone when I get it wednesday at MBK, I have been using skype for my main phone number for a long time, it forwards to my cell if I don't answer it in the USA, but I direct it to voice mail when traveling.  there is a voice mail to text feature I believe, but I have never tried it.

thanks Ruay.

ok, will have to play with google voice etc on my new android phone when I get it wednesday at MBK, I have been using skype for my main phone number for a long time, it forwards to my cell if I don't answer it in the USA, but I direct it to voice mail when traveling.  there is a voice mail to text feature I believe, but I have never tried it.

I mainly use skype when sitting in front of my computer, to make/get calls, but you can also chat...  there are sms capabilities too, but I have never used them...

thanks Ruay.

thanks Ruay.

You're welcome.  You won't be able to setup, register, or create a GV account outside of the USA or Canada.  When British, Europeans, Asians, etc. are in the USA, I encourage them to create a GV account while they are here.  That way, they can SMS US phones or have a USA-based voicemail with a US phone number overseas.

You might want to have someone you trust in the USA log into your Google account and create Google Voice number for you.  If my understanding is correct, they won't let you create one from a non-North American IP address.

Edit:

Just noticed your signature:

arrive BKK Wednesday August 21st at 10:30am, depart  BKK Sept 10 at 6pm

Set it up in the USA now, before you go.

• Have your USA phones forward to your GV number
  • Set "Do Not Disturb" on GV so that your USA phones will not ring while you're gone

You're welcome.  You won't be able to setup, register, or create a GV account outside of the USA or Canada.  When British, Europeans, Asians, etc. are in the USA, I encourage them to create a GV account while they are here.  That way, they can SMS US phones or have a USA-based voicemail with a US phone number overseas.

You might want to have someone you trust in the USA log into your Google account and create Google Voice number for you.  If my understanding is correct, they won't let you create one from a non-North American IP address.

Edit:

Just noticed your signature:

arrive BKK Wednesday August 21st at 10:30am, depart  BKK Sept 10 at 6pm

Set it up in the USA now, before you go.

• Have your USA phones forward to your GV number
  • Set "Do Not Disturb" on GV so that your USA phones will not ring while you're gone

ok!  will set this up tonight!

yep, I leave monday afternoon pacific time...

:GoldenSmile1:

Yes that will work fine in Thailand. You probably dont need a tablet with a built in sim card as any decent phone will allow you to tether. It is useful to buy a local sim card for your phone in Thailand to save girls numbers and you can add data to this and create your own wifi. This allows you to use tablets that dont have built in sim cards such as the Nexus 10 which imho is the best tablet.

Thanks for that idea. I think I will buy a wireless table here (just for wifi) in USA then get a decent phone in thailand to tether too. I can also tether it to my mobile phone here.   :Think1:

Which Galaxy Tablet do you have?  Have you checked to see if there is a SIM car slot? Sprint as been CDMA historically, but since looking forward at 4G LTE and beyond, it has relaxed the "no SIM" stance a bit.  HTC One is a good example of a Sprint phone that can use international SIM cards.  If your tablet has a SIM card slot, it might work with GSM too. Worth checking out.  

Along the same line I have an IPAD that has a sim slot and was told it is unlocked. Where do I go to buy the sim card in Patts?

Thanks.

Along the same line I have an IPAD that has a sim slot and was told it is unlocked. Where do I go to buy the sim card in Patts?

Thanks.

From what I've been told, sim cards are pretty ubiquitous in Pattaya.  They even sell them in 7-11. The only catch for your case is that you'll want to buy a data-only sim card so you don't waste extra baht on voice minutes. If you're unsure what to buy, go to Tukcom with your ipad and ask someone about it. www.tukcom.com

Archived