IGNORED

Chelsea (herberts welcome)

whitespider

With Utd and Chelsea the strongest two teams again (yes I am a gooner) has Avram Grant proved the doubters wrong??

The BBC seems to think so!

Chelsea fans - has your opinion on him changed?

When Avram Grant took over as manager of Chelsea it seemed about as exciting as watching paint dry.

There was none of the hype which greeted his predecessor Jose 'the Special One' Mourinho or, more recently, King Kev's return to Newcastle.

Instead, Grant was dubbed 'Some Mothers Do Avram' after the programme which chronicles the mayhem of the hapless Frank Spencer.

But two defeats and 20 wins in his 27 games in charge have led Chelsea to the Carling Cup final, knockout stages of the Champions League, and seen them remain major contenders in the Premier League title race.

Grant has done it his way and is more like Frank Sinatra than Frank Spencer.

In his own understated way and, with a constant mean-looking face, he has nearly restored the air of invincibility Chelsea had in their prime under Mourinho.

Nearly, because the tests against Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United still await in the league - but the signs are ominous.

Grant has had to deal with the lengthy injury absences of John Terry and Frank Lampard as well as the departure of key players, including Didier Drogba, to the Africa Cup of Nations.

A man who many thought was under-qualified for the job has overachieved in most eyes as Chelsea remain fighting on four fronts.

It's easy to say he inherited a strong squad but plenty of managers have had quality at their disposal without utilising it.

Grant has such a dry humour that his quips are undetected because of his dour manner and they are only barely noticeable if he affords himself a slight smile as he chuckles inwardly at his own jokes.

Yet the superstars and millionaires have responded to the Israeli, who was supposed to be a stop-gap before a more high-profile name was lured to Stamford Bridge.

But, with the help of lieutenants Steve Clarke and Henk ten Cate, Grant has restored the desire, drive and determination which led Chelsea to back-to-back league titles before Manchester United usurped them last season.

He has also shrugged off controversy - a la the regular Drogba bleatings about wanting to move - with all the expertise of a master politician rather than court it like the charismatic Mourinho.

The aesthetic football owner Roman Abramovich craves and the lack of which played a part in Mourinho's downfall is yet to materialise.

But this is where Grant has been shrewd in making sure he gets the side back to winning ways, it appears, before putting the pieces together to deliver a more eye-catching spectacle to his boss.

How Grant will fare in the heat of battle as the season progresses and enters the final straight is yet to be seen.

The prospect of that is helped by Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Michael Essien and Mikel Jon Obi being set to return for duty as the foundations are laid for a four-trophy assault.

Courtesy BBC

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

With Utd and Chelsea the strongest two teams again (yes I am a gooner) has Avram Grant proved the doubters wrong??

The BBC seems to think so!

Chelsea fans - has your opinion on him changed?

I never thought the loss of Mourinho would hurt Chelsea's chances. Injuries to Lampard and Terry have been pretty devastating. The signings of Anelka and Branislav Ivanovic were brilliant. Lampard is going to miss two more weeks, and Terry has been out for most of the year. They're in the hunt, but they're not as good as ManU this year. Had it not been for the injuries, I think they had a chance to beat out ManU.

BTW - ManU and Chelsea the two strongest teams? I think you're forgetting Arsenal.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

BTW - ManU and Chelsea the two strongest teams? I think you're forgetting Arsenal.

Mate - I am a Gooner! I should have said the two strongest teams NOW i.e. very recent form + squad strength as I belive Arsenal will suffer from fighting 3 fronts.

Anelka is always viewed as either a master stroke signing or a train crash waiting to happen and its usually ended up the latter. When the hard facts set in i.e. that he is 3rd choice or "super-sub" his toys will be out the pram again!

Grant has done an outstanding job with Chelsea, anyone that thinks he's just basking in JM's success clearly doesn't understand the game.

That said, the final jury is out on Grant until (a) he delivers the Prem or Champions League (b) he makes some signings to shake the team up (Sheva should be packed off to the States soon as we can find someone dumb enough to pay his wages). Anelka is great buy & fair play to Grant for getting for 15M cos under JM we would prolly have been ransomed up to 20M FFS...

Once the ACN is over (Drogs, Kalou, Essien & Obi return) plus JT & Lamps are back in the next 2-4 weeks, i think Chelsea will give Manu a serious run for the Prem this year. I also think Gooners are running out of steam just when it matters...

Edited by dirty_sanchez

• 3 months later...
But will Abramovich keep him on?

That's the question, plus I hear the players don't really like playing for him.

All ManU needs is a tie and they win the Premiership.

If Grant wins the Champs Lge that might buy him time. Anything else - well there's a couple of top managers that are likely to be out of a job soon........

If Grant wins the Champs Lge that might buy him time. Anything else - well there's a couple of top managers that are likely to be out of a job soon........

Grant's taken Chelsea further in Europe than Gullit, Vialli, Ranieri or Mourinho managed...

I have to wonder how he does it but, we're still in the 2 major competitions which more than anyone else in the Prem can say except Manure... pretty good for an also ran manager!

Abramovich isnt stupid, I am sure he was confident when he hired him and yes the record is doing the talking at the moment.

Good luck on the 21st bud, I rekkon 99% of the world will be with you. Can't see any non Manure diehards rooting for them.

:) :02: :Bravo1::Beer1::D

Next trip April 30 – can't fucking wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Will AG fire up the boys for a 22-0 thrashing of Bolton? :Good_Job:

I read some quality "alledged" insider gossip on a Chelsea board this week, apparently Abramovich loves Dutch football & next season Chelsea are due an influx of Dutch fellas, manager, assistants & players... supposedly regardless of what happens AG is going upstairs, the whole thing is being orchestrated by Frank Arnesen under RA's instructions... well see if that's true in about 3 weeks :o