IGNORED

Pricing Differentials

whitespider - RIP

Just booked a flight for a friend as follows

Etihad

Bangkok to Manchester 30th January (outbound)

Manchester to Bangkok 30th April (return)

Total cost 19,000 - almost exactly £300

Out of interest I checked it the other way round, i.e. same airline, same dates but departing UK.

Cheapest I found £551 - thats 80% MORE!

I am sure there are all kinds of arguments but as these planes basically bounce back from aiport to airport I can see that tax, wages, fuel costs, food costs are relevant!?

Maybe someone can enlighten me?????

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

yes but does anyone know WHY?? Any airline guys here?

You can look at it this way -

The average wage of Thai ppl is less than that of those in the UK.

In order to get their planes full (constant costs have to be covered)

they lower the prices for Thais and increase them for the British.

Because we are used to these prices and are not aware of the differential

they probably even increase them a little more just for the sake of it

E

yes but does anyone know WHY?? Any airline guys here?

At a guess i would say that they could more or less gaurantee booking a full plane from the UK to Thailand, but doing it in the reverse role would prove to be difficult due to the economy of Asia ?

Cheers

Lloydies Bar

Welcome to Lloydies Bar, Lk Metro, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

http://www.lloydiesbar.com/

At a guess i would say that they could more or less gaurantee booking a full plane from the UK to Thailand, but doing it in the reverse role would prove to be difficult due to the economy of Asia ?

Cheers

Lloydies Bar

That was my point. My flight from Bangkok COMES BACK and asyou say could be full.

IF I get a return from LHR - that coems back as well. Yes maybe emptier but its still the same round trip!

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

That was my point. My flight from Bangkok COMES BACK and asyou say could be full.

IF I get a return from LHR - that coems back as well. Yes maybe emptier but its still the same round trip!

I think it might have something to do with the fuel whats burnt or flight path it takes ? perhaps there is a tale wind ?

Cheers

Lloydies Bar

Welcome to Lloydies Bar, Lk Metro, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

http://www.lloydiesbar.com/

• 2 weeks later...

As with everything here we get ripped off... no wonder so many people are moving abroad... Rip Off Britain

Prices on airlines depend on the country they are booked from. An example. I was stuck in BKK and 100% had to get back to Bombay. The flight from Cathay Pacific was almost 900 usd !!!!!!!! but i had no choice. Had I been in Hong Kong, and booked that same flight it would have been less than 300 dollars. The problem was I was in Bahrain when i had to book the ticket. so got screwed all the way around.

The pricing is developed to suit a market. If you book it from a relatively rich country, expect to pay quite a bit more. From a poorer country, pay much less.

Another example. I typically sneak out of bombay to BKK and back, on my way out finishing up a business trip. The fare if I book Indian Airlines flt. 6318 and 6317 flights, the price from India is 430 usd. If I want the same two seats, booked with Thai airlines from India, the fare is almost 800usd. Those are the same exact seats, since the India air flights are code share flights. they are actually ON THAI AIRWAYS plane!!!!!! so the exact same seats, but bought from a country different from the country of the airline selling the tickets....

Same goes for the Philippines. Buying tickets from outside the Philippines for tickets inside hte Philippines are extremely expensive if done from a fairly rich country.. like america.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
:D if you fly from europe to thailand via london it will nearly always be cheaper than buying a ticket just from uk . E.U. rules dont allow you to buy these tickets in the uk you must have an european address where the tickets are collected if you ask most europeans what they pay to fly to Thailand you will be suprised

Somewhat boils down to supply and demand. Many more people are willing to fly RT from UK to LOS, than the other way around. Yes, I too am on the short end of the stick being from the States. The flights here have averaged $1300 in March to $1400 in summer. I suspect fuel and the natural vacation season has something to do with the prices.

Just another guess/suggestion

Going to Bangkok during high season from England--- more expensive. Going to England from BKK during winter -- low season -- less expensive.

British rail used the same scam on customers for years between London and Manchester. It was all about what the customer will pay. :Bravo1:

I knew about the airline pricing a few years ago so I bit the bullet and booked one way . I now save about 25% so one trip in 5 is free.

I also don't book with the on line booking service but use the travel agent on the left hand side of South pattaya road just up from Bamboo bar and massage (on the other side ) as they issue tickets there and then and get max discount from the airlines as they are so busey!

Response from an Airline expert:

Airline pricing is entirely determined by demand - carriers implement revenue management strategies accordingly. Carrier seating is separated into cabin classes or codes. For example, Economy/Coach class seats are in the main cabin area, and typically are the lowest-priced. Generally speaking First Class is coded as F or P, Business Class as C or J, and Full- Fare Coach as Y. Most special fares (referred to as subclasses, since they are subclasses of the Coach class) are coded using other letters, such as M, B, H, K, Q, L, V, etc.

Using the example of Coach class, a set of seats have prices assigned to them. So you may have 20 L class seats for $200, 10 H class seats for $300, 5 M seats for $600 or so on. As cheaper seats are exhausted, the reservation system pulls back the next available cheapest seat and fares increase as result. Supply and demand economics.