Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

cell phone questions

Ok, I have done three trips, first trip my cheapo phone got picked by a ladyboy, second trip I went without a phone, third trip I thought I would unlock an old iphone I brought along and couldn't, which now brings me to trip 4, about to commence.

I have a brand new galaxy s4 active, at&t said they will not unlock it for me, this was my first stab at converting this phone for a thai sim card...  so, phone company 1, daddee zip..

so my question is, can I get this phone unlocked at tukcom and put a thai sim card in it?  then put the at&t sim back in on my return?

or, would it be easier to buy something inexpensive and leave the new galaxy in the safe?  I know there are all sorts of knockoff smart phones, I would be ok with paying maybe up to 200 uds for one...  but 100 would be better.  I want something for email, text, pics, etc etc...  

it's a three week trip, so I am thinking I can buy a deal for around 50 bucks for unlimited internet, texting and all that stuff, correct?

also in shopping locally for a used phone, will a phone from any of the big providers work in thailand, big providers being sprint, at&t, verizon...  I don't know gsm from adam... so any input on this would be helpful too!

very open to suggestions, thanks guys!

I would say getting a separate phone for Thai trip is always better, which i do.

Probably 6-7 Bhat with get you a good quality android smartphone with decent camera.

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

I used an iPhone in Thailand with a Thai sim - why can't you use yours? I paid about £15 from my operator and they unlocked and now it works no matter where I go in the world (as long as I stick a local sim in it).

Of your other other options I would just buy any piece of shit phone and stick a sim in it - that way if it gets lifted or you lose it then it is not a big deal.

I would say getting a separate phone for Thai trip is always better, which i do.

Probably 6-7 Bhat with get you a good quality android smartphone with decent camera.

ya, I will probably go this way... last trip I kept my smartphone with me and used it for email etc wherever I could grab wifi...

definitely want a fully functioning phone this trip.  gonna be in BKK for a couple of days, will sort it out there.

thanks

ya, I will probably go this way... last trip I kept my smartphone with me and used it for email etc wherever I could grab wifi...

definitely want a fully functioning phone this trip.  gonna be in BKK for a couple of days, will sort it out there.

thanks

We tend to take as many as pictures in Thailand and Keeping a separate phone solve the privacy issue. 

Plenty of good quality Chinese smartphone available under 7K Bhat

13 MP camera, 5inch FHD display, 3G, Quad core processor & Android Jellybean OS. You won't need a tablet i guess!

We tend to take as many as pictures in Thailand and Keeping a separate phone solve the privacy issue. 

Plenty of good quality Chinese smartphone available under 7K Bhat

13 MP camera, 5inch FHD display, 3G, Quad core processor & Android Jellybean OS. You won't need a tablet i guess!

excellent, this is what i needed to hear....

thanks HB!

I tried using other phones in Thailand and I have to say I find them very frustrating.  

You need a phone that you are completely comfortable with and you are not wasting your time mucking around with your phone. 

For this reason I always use the same one I use at home and I've not lost one yet....

I think you can easily take you iphone to the store and have it unlocked..not sure if you then be able to use it again in the states without a full reset but if it's not your main phone these days then I would suggest keeping this one as just your Thailand phone. 

You are used to it already. 

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I used an iPhone in Thailand with a Thai sim - why can't you use yours?

Because he's using a Galaxy S4 that is locked by the operator.

I think you can easily take you iphone to the store and have it unlocked..not sure if you then be able to use it again in the states

He's not using an iPhone, and he's not taking a phone back to "the states".

up to you

third trip I thought I would unlock an old iphone I brought along and couldn't, which now brings me to trip 4, about to commence.

so my question is, can I get this phone unlocked at tukcom and put a thai sim card in it?  then put the at&t sim back in on my return?

Hmmm match red with red and blue with blue and connect the dots. 

If he still has his iPhone lying around at home then he can use it as his travel phone...that is what I was suggesting. 

Ah, now I see, for some reason I thought he was flying the Welsh flag.

He can probably get the iPhone unlocked in North America. I hear Apple stopped locking new ones and they were also unlocking the old ones.

I think it had something to do with a court ruling.

up to you

Ah, now I see, for some reason I thought he was flying the Welsh flag.

He can probably get the iPhone unlocked in North America. I hear Apple stopped locking new ones and they were also unlocking the old ones.

I think it had something to do with a court ruling.

I would think that if it's an old one and the contract is up you should be able to do whatever you want with it. 

I know that is the case in Australia but perhaps it's different in the US. 

Hmmm match red with red and blue with blue and connect the dots. 

If he still has his iPhone lying around at home then he can use it as his travel phone...that is what I was suggesting. 

no, the old iphone is gone now, and it was some freaking special model that could not be jailbroken or unlocked, unique to at&t...  they are controlling bastards, I must say that for them...

I will just buy some chinese knockoff, mainly need to be able to keep getting my emails from the states while out and about, and want to text with tg's and take pics...

should be a fine solution.  you will get a first hand report, 999!

555!

Because he's using a Galaxy S4 that is locked by the operator.

Perhaps you should improve your reading and comprehension skills before trying to be a smart arse.....

Not that I mind, I find it as funny as fuck when tards expose their stupidity to world. :)

storm, I am to blame for the confusion, but bdw did get it right.

I did bring an iphone on a PREVIOUS trip, but I no longer own that phone.

there are rules on this forum about being nice, kindly lay off the insults!

I find it as funny as fuck when tards expose their stupidity to world. :)

Oh really?

bdw did get it right.

It's too bad about the iPhone, but I'm not surprised with the way AT&T do business.

up to you

I have four phones on my acct, both kids now have smartphones...  my daughter has the phone that went to thailand with me, my son has my 5.

I am apple free now, got a samsung galaxy tab 2 tablet too...

very happy, no more itunes!

You can get some Idea about Chinese smartphone from this site http://www.gizchina.com/ and most of those devices are available in Thailand. Trust me few of those are more than knock off. 

thx, all very interesting, guess I will head somewhere in BKK and grab one...

any specific recommendations appreciated.... would like to keep the cost down to two long times or less!

:)

thx, all very interesting, guess I will head somewhere in BKK and grab one...

any specific recommendations appreciated.... would like to keep the cost down to two long times or less!

:)

1) Oppo Find 5 : Finest android device with a premium price.  

2)  ZOPO C2/ZP980 : Great design & well built quality (1st choice)

3) Jiayu G4 : Good affordable device (4th)

4) Xiaomi Red rice : Killer price & good built quality (2nd)

5) iOCEAN X7 : Very nice looking (3rd)

6) Umi X2 (6th)

Go with 1.5Ghz turbo processor based phone and this will bring all required additional hardware! Hope that helps!

I have the i9377, it's a galaxy s3 clone with dual sim option. The main reason I use it is because only one sim socket is 3g enabled so I stick my uk sim in the non-3g slot and eliminate any chance I will accidently incur data charges.

It's not as good as the s3 (I have one too), but it's within tolerable limits for most normal users. You would need a sd card though as on phone memory is almost certain to prove insuffient.

There's a few s4 clones that may suit you better, but it may also mean you notice the differences more.

Here's the amazon link for the same phone I have;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-DMX-ONLINE-UK-JELLYBEAN/dp/B00A78GYJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376124711&sr=8-1&keywords=i9377

I used an iPhone in Thailand with a Thai sim - why can't you use yours? I paid about £15 from my operator and they unlocked and now it works no matter where I go in the world (as long as I stick a local sim in it).

Of your other other options I would just buy any piece of shit phone and stick a sim in it - that way if it gets lifted or you lose it then it is not a big deal.

US carriers are not required to unlock a phone until it is out of contract.

The future is full of anxiety, the past is no good to us. Only the present is real. The here and now. Seize the day!!!

Do NOT let anyone mess with your galaxy s4 in Thailand! It can be unlocked illegally in Thailand but you will certainly have issues when you get back to the US. Best advice already stated is buy a cheapo phone there. DTAC offers a month of unlimited internet for 399 baht.

The future is full of anxiety, the past is no good to us. Only the present is real. The here and now. Seize the day!!!

US carriers are not required to unlock a phone until it is out of contract.

Land of the free..... :)

It probably the same here TBH, my iphone was an old one and I had already moved to a different HTC handset.

Do NOT let anyone mess with your galaxy s4 in Thailand! It can be unlocked illegally in Thailand but you will certainly have issues when you get back to the US. Best advice already stated is buy a cheapo phone there. DTAC offers a month of unlimited internet for 399 baht.

ya, thanks, I am going to be in Bangkok for the first two days and nights of my trip, can anyone steer me in the right direction on where to go get a phone and setup?

thanks!   I think I will be staying around Sukhimvit... Nana etc...

Archived