IGNORED

Camera Bag for Street Photography

must_tang50

Hey guy,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a decent camera bag for street photography? I am more looking for an over the shoulder type, or messenger style bag. One that will provide quick and easy access for my gear.

Right now I am just using a LowePro back pack, and its just too much to take it on and off, unbuckle and unzip, etc etc. By the time I swap lenses or whatever, the shot is long gone.

This trip I will be bringing a Canon T3i (I know, I'm not a fan of the crop sensor) with a 85mm prime, 50mm prime, and a L series 17-40mm.  I don't necessarily need to carry all 3 lenses with me every single time, but I feel its a nice variety for street shooting.

Thanks in advance!

How about one of the Lowe Pro Reporter bags?  You can access via top cover zipper.

I have two, and the smaller one can still handle a DSLR plus lenses.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,

Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

"The Mourning Bride", William Congreve, 1697

I used a thinktank modular system for my last trip to Thailand.  I have a Nikon D7100 with an 18-200 zoom, that went in the holster, and I carried a 10-24 i a lens changer attached to the holster, both of them attach to a belt.  Nice thing about this set up is that you can keep BOTH hands free,

Their modular systems have built in rain covers for when you get caught out in the elements.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com

Why not get one of those trendy shoulder bags that students also use. Less obvious when carrying (expensive) camera equipment.

Most camera bags scream just that, not something you want. Don't want to scare away potential subjects or attract thieves for that matter.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Posted Image

Why not get one of those trendy shoulder bags that students also use. Less obvious when carrying (expensive) camera equipment.

Most camera bags scream just that, not something you want. Don't want to scare away potential subjects or attract thieves for that matter.

Good idea regarding using a trendy/student back to hide the fact that you have a few thousand in hardware on you while walking around, but then you run into the issue that those bags weren't made to carry said hardware. I'd be concerned with putting to much stress on the mount when a lens mounted camera is sitting in a weird position with bad weight distribution. That can happen when a camera is just loose in an bag that isn't set up to hold cameras. That's why I like my cheap Lowepro adventura 170. Has movable velcro panels that you can adjust to hold the body of your camera, suspending the lens and mount from carrying any direct weight. Camera pulls in and out quickly, and the bag has dual closing mechanisms to make pick pocketing a little more difficult to go unnoticed (zipper and plastic clasp).  It is big enough for my D90 with battery grip (not ideal, but I make it work), 35mm prime, and one mounted lens up to 105mm seems to fit fine. My only wish is that I would have loved to have the zippers be those weather tight ones with rubber on either side.

Not the most stylish at all, but does the job for less than $40. I sometimes even carabiner clip my flash bag to the strap too. 

You have too many lenses, IMO. That's cool if you're in a studio or other controlled environment, but it sounds you do lots of grab shots. And for that, you need a single walkabout lens. If you like taking lots of night shots, consider investing in a fast zoom. f2/8 and you will never need a flash again.

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag myself with a covert camera bag insert. I can fit my DX Nikon and 3 lenses inside. I usually only carry a single lens though. http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/classic-messenger-bag

I have canon 7D, with 18-135mm, 50 mm prime and 580 ex flash. They all fit very snugly in Crumpler 4 million dollar bag. It has velcro adjustable compartments and the gear is safe in the bag, have been using it for last three years and no complaints. See link below 

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Camera-MD4002-U04P40/dp/B007Q5I518/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375070656&sr=8-6&keywords=crumpler

Thanks for all the tips guys. I will try to make a final decision soon, since I leave in a few days.

Perhaps I can even find a decent bag in Thailand?

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the shoulder bag, you could even use a small inconspicuous backpack, I carried a zoom and a prime when I was out and about only when I might be out when the sun set and needed a good low light lens. I protected the lens with an old sock lol

btw, the crumpler looks like a really nice bag

This is what i use, Crumpler 6million. Keeps everything nice and safe.

I have the same style of bag (different brand) and it is a great design. It is easy to get things in and out and it isn't obviously a camera bag.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I just got a Lowepro Fastback 100.  It is the smallest of their backpack series.  I needed something more stable than my sidebag for times when I'm biking or doing something more active.  Good bag with quality construction.  Just enough space for a D90 with battery grip, 18-105 stock lens mounted, two other medium to small lenses, flash, and accessories.  No wasted space, which is good for keeping the bag size down, but not so great if you wanted a bag for camera stuff and other things too.  For instance, you can't put a laptop or full sized tablet in this thing, but probably could get away with a 7" tablet. Only gripe is that there is no chest or waste strap, so it still gets a little bouncy when riding my mountain bike.  Also, taking the camera out requires unhooking one of the two shoulder straps and tilting the bag 90*.  Not that big of a deal, but not nearly as fast as my standard sidebag when trying to grab a quick candid shot.  

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Crumpler bag but its just to keep my gear in.

I seldom carry a  bag with me when i am out as i keep my 18-200 vr lense on one nikon body and a tokina 11-16 on the other.

If i do carry a bag, its just a day pack;  spare batteries, mem cards, water bottle, pad for writing on ( old school NOT IPAD or tablet)

Try the vanguard site, their messengers have won a couple of European product awards in design.

I use one and it carries my main body plus 3 lenses easily. They have diff sizes available on their site.

We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.

• 2 weeks later...

A blackrapid sling and a cheap lens will do me just fine.  As long as you're not carrying a grey lens you'll probably be OK too.

I use a billingham camera bag, mostly because i watch all the vids from digital rev

Think it looks sweet and its comfy as hell

but expensive

video of some of the range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xBZiCo7W4

Nice looking bags.  They remind me of the old school (circa 1970's) leather camera bag that I used to use.  These look to be canvas though.  How are they in wet weather?  If I were going to go sidebag again, I'd look at one of these. I miss how fast it was to pull the camera out, take a shot, and put it back into the bag without breaking stride.  Something I miss with me new backpack.  

I bought a Vanguard Heralder 33 on sale at MBK this week.  Great bag,

Retired

Nice looking bags.  They remind me of the old school (circa 1970's) leather camera bag that I used to use.  These look to be canvas though.  How are they in wet weather?  If I were going to go sidebag again, I'd look at one of these. I miss how fast it was to pull the camera out, take a shot, and put it back into the bag without breaking stride.  Something I miss with me new backpack.  

they do 2 types canvas and fibernite

http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Materials.html

I bought a Vanguard Heralder 33 on sale at MBK this week.  Great bag,

would u mind which store and how much you paid, always on the lookout for good deals.

We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.

Camera AV on the 4th floor, for 4300, they have one left. There's someone on Craig's List (Bangkok) trying to sell his used Heralder 35 for 4000 but I think the Heralder 35 is too big.

Retired

GF3.jpg

Camera in one pocket, lens in the other.  Take out, covers off and shoot.  Lumix GF3, not a real big boy camera but one heck of a pocket camera...

Archived