Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Coffee ?

I have just opened BOOK CAFE on Soi Bauhkow towards the south Pattaya road end, ( opposite R-Con residence hotel).

We have Bon Cafe coffee, Mocha, espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, iced coffees etc etc, we have coffee from north Thailand and I must say is good.

We also offer home made yoghurt meusli with fresh fruit as a healthy breakfast, also salads sandwiches, rolls all health and vegetarian foods, low Cholesterol, high fibre, and of course lots of books and I have just got lots of new ones in with many Thailand/Pattaya books, such as;

The Farang affair, Bangkok exit, Summer in Siam, One high season, More living Thai ways, Outsiders guide to Thailand, Delicate traffic, Thai mangoes, Siamese dreams, Lollipop fury, Farang, Blundering around Isaan, Echo pool, Englsh/Thai phrase books, Smiles of deceit, Even Thai girls cry, Experience prefered but not essential, Golf 2008 Southeast Asia, Siam smiles, Missing in Thailand, Tai Tai tales, Thai vignettes, Butterfly trap, Expat days, Bankok kiss, from begger to butterflyto name but a few.

We offer the same system with the books as in Canterbury Tales Cafe where you can recieve 50% credit off the next book when you return them, we also buy and exchange books, call Dave 086 575 4966 for details or enquiries.

Thanks for the heads up as I don`t drink (what a sinner) I am always on the lookout for a decent cup of coffee.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadwood

• hungryandy

• bartester

• kw59

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't call STARBUCKS and GLORIA JEANS companies that I would want to support. Plus they do not make nice Coffee.

On a side note a lot of staff have been laid off and stores of STARBUCKS closed down this week in Australia, who knows the full story there.

Hey guys i used to go to some place on 2nd road about opposite soi 8 i think?

Anyway the coffee was okay there. Can't remember the name sorry!

Those who think $tarbuck$ makes good coffee seriously don't have a clue what coffee is supposed to taste like. There were tons of media reports about them closing down almost all of their stores in Australia, most of them making the point that only Americans like American style coffee. In Australia we have real coffee, produced by Italians, and to a lesser degree, Greeks and Frenchies.

Speaking of French style coffee, Bon Cafe on the Pattaya-Naklua Rd just up the hill from the palomar makes quite a good coffee, and they also sell beans [roasted or not] and already ground coffee to suit a French Press, so you can make a respectable coffee at home. I showed my wife how to make it, and from then on I get nice coffee every morning with breakfast :unsure:

In Bangkok in the banmor area there a few shops which sell espresso machines and grinders etc.

btw one of the funny reports I read about SB started like this:

"memo to Starbucks' management - next time try selling ice to eskimos..."

Edited by Corben

• 3 weeks later...

What I hate about Starbucks: I need to answer minimum 4 questions to get a regular cupucchino...what size, hot or cold, coffein or not, normal milk or low fat, hot or not so hot...usually I turn up there still not beeing awake and having a terrible hangover. The least I need then is that question and answer game.

• 3 months later...

I always bring the jug kettle and make my own, or get 'terak' to do it!

It seem to me that it is easier to find a 'good woman' in Pattaya, than it is to find a good cup of tea or coffee

A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do!

When all is said and done, more is said than done!

• 2 weeks later...

Canterbury Tales Cafe offer, Latte, Mocca, Espresso, Cupocinno, coffee shakes, Iced Coffee as well as Nescafe

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

• 1 month later...
The imported and starbucks coffee is a rip off, but if you have a maker , the local Coffee , not just HIlltrible is great value and tastes great.

agree completly, it's probably the best coffee around, but almost at the same price than in the US.

Number6-01.jpg

The prisoner: “I’m not a number, I’m a free manâ€

A gogo girl: "i'm not a number, i'm a free woman"

is the coffee water filtered or is it possible to get the shits from the bacteria

ALL food establishments, and or carts or what ever will use bottled water or filtered water.

Thais do not drink tap water as a mater of course.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

Those who think $tarbuck$ makes good coffee seriously don't have a clue what coffee is supposed to taste like. There were tons of media reports about them closing down almost all of their stores in Australia, most of them making the point that only Americans like American style coffee. In Australia we have real coffee, produced by Italians, and to a lesser degree, Greeks and Frenchies.

Speaking of French style coffee, Bon Cafe on the Pattaya-Naklua Rd just up the hill from the palomar makes quite a good coffee, and they also sell beans [roasted or not] and already ground coffee to suit a French Press, so you can make a respectable coffee at home. I showed my wife how to make it, and from then on I get nice coffee every morning with breakfast :Hug1:

In Bangkok in the banmor area there a few shops which sell espresso machines and grinders etc.

btw one of the funny reports I read about SB started like this:

"memo to Starbucks' management - next time try selling ice to eskimos..."

Corben is sooooh right. What Americans accept as coffee is very sad.

GO to FOODLAND and buy fresh roasted coffee beans. Robusta style if you go more for the American taste and Arabica if you want a more delicate taste with greater depth and richness. Price can be a good guide to teh quality.

You can get it ground there or if you have a food processor (Under 2k baht) then they always have a coffee mill attachment to grind it fresh each time).

If you ar resident thenget your self a capuchino machine - readily available under 20k in Home Pro or other places.

If your here short term then a small strainer and a packet of filter papers from FOODLAND will do the trick.

Local Coffee is best not compared with what what were used to. Not saying thats good or bad - but quite different.

Try to find a Vietnamese style coffee place - lots of them as little stalls in Bangkok - they will use local coffee to make a more "Malaysian" style coffee - excellent.

If you want INSTANT (Nescaffee) then there are two choices - very affordable Nescafe "Redcup" from local beans. Strong bitter and slightly sour. The Thais think this is "good" coffee. As Coffee is a mater of personal taster I wont knock it as such.

The alternative is the IMPORTED Nescafe from FOODLAND.

If you look at the bottles of NC on teh shelf you will see they have them from about 5 different countries. Swiss, Canadian, Oz, South American Countries. They are all quite different.

Corben is sooooh right. What Americans accept as coffee is very sad.

GO to FOODLAND and buy fresh roasted coffee beans. Robusta style if you go more for the American taste and Arabica if you want a more delicate taste with greater depth and richness. Price can be a good guide to teh quality.

You can get it ground there or if you have a food processor (Under 2k baht) then they always have a coffee mill attachment to grind it fresh each time).

If you ar resident thenget your self a capuchino machine - readily available under 20k in Home Pro or other places.

If your here short term then a small strainer and a packet of filter papers from FOODLAND will do the trick.

Local Coffee is best not compared with what what were used to. Not saying thats good or bad - but quite different.

Try to find a Vietnamese style coffee place - lots of them as little stalls in Bangkok - they will use local coffee to make a more "Malaysian" style coffee - excellent.

If you want INSTANT (Nescaffee) then there are two choices - very affordable Nescafe "Redcup" from local beans. Strong bitter and slightly sour. The Thais think this is "good" coffee. As Coffee is a mater of personal taster I wont knock it as such.

The alternative is the IMPORTED Nescafe from FOODLAND.

If you look at the bottles of NC on teh shelf you will see they have them from about 5 different countries. Swiss, Canadian, Oz, South American Countries. They are all quite different.

hmmmmm....being an avid coffee drinker, i'm wondering exactly what you're talking about. i've drank coffee in africa(the birthplace of coffee), italy, colombia and brazil, costa rica and guatemala, jamaica, sumatra, sulawesi, and yes malaysia. each of the above , except malaysia, is considered a grower of top rate coffees. i can't remember how the malaysians make their coffee but i'm thinking it may be the cheese cloth steeper method that many latin american countries use. does malaysia even grow coffee? when in a reputable coffee joint have you seen them boasting about serving malaysian coffee? granted in the old days most americans drank much but knew little about a good cup of coffee. but today, with the advent of starbucks and copycats, u.s. awareness of a good cup of coffee has grown tremendously as has the whole world's. but you poo poo starbucks inferring it's some low grade brand or something or inferior method of brewing. i don't get it. they get first rate beans from all over the world. it's 1st the bean, 2nd-the brewing method, and 3rd the water that make a good cup of coffee. personally i prefer the forced steam method or french press method of brewing though if in the bush i'll just throw it in a pot of hot water and boil it(cowboy coffee). if your using good beans you'll get good coffee. this all sounds a little snooty to me but then i'm just another in the dark american, but at least you don't see me reviewing instant coffee. ugh! btw, mcdonalds makes a pretty good cup of coffee and dunkin donuts and mr. donut made excellent coffee long before starbucks was even hatched. sound a little wired do i?

Edited by deadwood

hmmmmm....being an avid coffee drinker, i'm wondering exactly what you're talking about. i've drank coffee in africa(the birthplace of coffee), italy, colombia and brazil, costa rica and guatemala, jamaica, sumatra, sulawesi, and yes malaysia. each of the above , except malaysia, is considered a grower of top rate coffees. i can't remember how the malaysians make their coffee but i'm thinking it may be the cheese cloth steeper method that many latin american countries use. does malaysia even grow coffee? when in a reputable coffee joint have you seen them boasting about serving malaysian coffee?

Not sure if they grow Coffee in Malaysia - probably use Indonesian beans. Your close on the Cheese Cloth - it is filtered through one - but thats not the key. The KEY to good Malaysian "Style" coffee is the way its poured. Similar to some Indian tea. It is loaded with sweetened condensed milk that is palm oil fortified (just like the carnation here), it is then poured between the pot and the cup several times but over a distance of over a meter for the good operators. I have had it poured in a half assed manner and the taste is NOT the same. Suspect its something to do with the oxygenation and the "frothiness". Done right its a great "Coffee Style Drink" and very nice for a change. Best not to try and do a direct comparison to a good Italian coffee as its a different beast.

granted in the old days most americans drank much but knew little about a good cup of coffee. but today, with the advent of starbucks and copycats, u.s. awareness of a good cup of coffee has grown tremendously as has the whole world's. but you poo poo starbucks inferring it's some low grade brand or something or inferior method of brewing. i don't get it. they get first rate beans from all over the world.

Well thats where we would have to agree to disagree. Most of America graduated from "cowboy coffee" (perhaps a little harsh) but primarily low cost beans "stewed" on a stove top or electric percolator. Moving from that to properly made coffee at Strbucks would have been a quantum leap, and Starbucks would seem like great coffee in comparison.

I certainly would argue the point about them using the "Best" beans. I would suggest they use acceptable beans at a price performance point.

I believe the reason that starbuck have done so badly in markets like Australia and Europe, is that these are countries with a significant "coffee culture". There are GOOD to EXCELLENT coffee shops every where. Usually family run businesses, initially from Greek or Italian families and this established a bar too high for Starbucks to hurdle with their overheads.

I would agree that they probably have (in theory) the technique of roasting and making coffee down. However they are fighting a up hill battle with quality in some outlets in this region because the staff do not get the idea of throwing out over used milk, or keeping milk at its freshest. While that's a management problem it still impacts on the overall experience I have with the cup of coffees taste.

it's 1st the bean, 2nd-the brewing method, and 3rd the water that make a good cup of coffee. personally i prefer the forced steam method or french press method of brewing though if in the bush i'll just throw it in a pot of hot water and boil it(cowboy coffee).

Nothing wrong with a a pot of "cowboy coffee" if like were both saying - the beans are good, and its not stewed.

if your using good beans you'll get good coffee. this all sounds a little snooty to me but then i'm just another in the dark american, but at least you don't see me reviewing instant coffee. ugh!

Hey dont knock the instant- when the hands are shaking and just gotta have that fix . . . Agree that most if its pretty bad. But again try some of the stuff from countries where there is a strong coffee culture and its OK. Just dont trust the Mrs with something that can produce 2 Bar of super heated steam, but she can pour water (well mos of the time). Currently drinking NesCafe Gold "Mild" from Switzerland and its not too foul.

btw, mcdonalds makes a pretty good cup of coffee and dunkin donuts and mr. donut made excellent coffee long before starbucks was even hatched. sound a little wired do i?

This kind of amplifies the point . . .for these chains good coffee is a loss leader to get people in the door, "go get coffee and doughnuts instead of Starbucks" so it HAS to be good. they will spend teh extra on a good bean, rather than an acceptable bean.

All that said - lets not loose sight of the fact that coffee is like wine - what you like is what you like - there is no absolute measure.

All that said - lets not loose sight of the fact that coffee is like wine - what you like is what you like - there is no absolute measure.

salud!

Little else said by andy is worth the typing...

i have been insulted many times by many (including on this board) for being an american (ya, bush was a moron, but only half of us voted for him), but never thought i would have to defend my country's appreciation of a roasted bean, its preparation and service...

being an american and a total beverage connoisseur (beer, wine, spirits...and yes coffee), what i taste in a mug/glass/snifter or cup is NOT what you taste, it can be similar, but each of our palates are somewhat unique in delivering subtle nuances of taste. And, our likes/dislikes can be 180 degrees apart...totally subjective.

This has been demonstrated time after time when so called experts have chosen wines of supposedly lesser stature ($50/bottle and not from a legacy vintner) over bottles of legendary status @ $500 and more when presented in a blind taste test. Admittedly, even a novice can dissern the difference between a $10 bottle and a $50 bottle in most instances (and may in fact prefer the cheaper, simpler, fruitier boujolee to the drier more "sophisticated" Meritage). The latest one i read about was regarding spirits...how lowly old Smirnoff beat out 10s of other "premium" vodkas in a blind tasting somewhere in europe...laughed my ass off at all my friends who pay $12-$15 for a Grey Goose n Cran here in the states.

Good coffee is also quite subjective, and to me, is more like beer in how I think of the different varities available, some based on the bean, some based on the preparation...I am fortuante to have friends from all over the world who have shared their coffee with me...at times I crave a muddy, robust turkish coffee, other times a sweet cafe cubano or three is just the kick in the pants i need some morngings (50 cents a shot in south beach from a vendor i know, pure heaven), or perhaps a rich, fragrent Cafe Britt from costa rica (i can smell its rich aroma just thinking about it and the fine latin ladies ive shared many a cup with sitting at the hotel Del Rey), or perhaps a powerful Lebanese blend, there are times when a delicate but bold italian espresso is called for after a great meal...i only have two rules, i never drink 'instant" no matter how desparate i am (just foul tasting, id rather go without) and ive never cared much for Sumatra (too bitter) i could go on and on, but wont...

again, which coffee you crave can be kinda like selecting a beer or wine, sometimes you want a St. Paulie Girl Dark with sausage/redcabbage/spaetzle, other times you want to savor a creamy guinness with a shepards pie, and other times you want to just pound a few Grolsch ceramic pop-tops on a hot summer day...no different from wanting a nice dry but light sauvignon blanc with your pear salad, a buttery chardonnay with your shrimp louis, a peppery, bold red zinfandel with your porterhouse steak and a delicate white riesling with your creme brulee...and hell, if you need a cheese course, throw in a vintage Dow's Port...all thats left to argue about is whos picking up the check!

BOTTOM LINE, in america, like every country, there are those that appreciate the simple pleasures a quality beverage provides, and there are those that couldnt care less.

Thanks for letting me rattle on...cheers, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

Little else said by andy is worth the typing...

i have been insulted many times by many (including on this board) for being an american (ya, bush was a moron, but only half of us voted for him), but never thought i would have to defend my country's appreciation of a roasted bean, its preparation and service...

. . . . .. . . . . .

Thanks for letting me rattle on...cheers, Alex

No criticism of you or the US made or implied - Just of Starbucks for making mediocre coffee.

Think Ill go crack open a jar of "redcup" 4 spoons of coffeemate and 3 of sugar.

Should see me right till this afternoon.

No criticism of you or the US made or implied - Just of Starbucks for making mediocre coffee.

Think Ill go crack open a jar of "redcup" 4 spoons of coffeemate and 3 of sugar.

Should see me right till this afternoon.

and thats the point...."mediocre" is totally subjective in this context...some will say Starbucks makes the "best" cup of coffee ever made...and for their palate and taste preferences, they are correct...just as you are for your preferences...but any persons preferences arent any more correct than anyone elses, they are simply their opinion, which we all know are like assholes, everyone has one...

I would argue that, it isnt a matter of good, bad or "mediocre"...its a matter of a particular roasting style, preparation and taste, to you, that may equate to mediocre coffee...to others, its nirvana...for me personally, sometimes starbucks hits the spot, other times i prefer a different cup o joe.

Cheers, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

If anyone tracks down a place that does Vietnamese style coffee in Pattaya let me know, I can just sit drinking that stuff all day until I shake like a crack head LOL

I think that since coffee is an acquired taste it is also subjective. I only make it back to New York once a year but when I do I hit the deli for a cup of 6 hour old, burned coffee in the white and blue cup, poppy seed bagel with a shmear of cream cheese and go quietly orgasmic for a while...

back when i first got sober in new york i would sit in the greek deli and inhale those huge slices of delicious cheese cake and down pots of that burnt coffee. god what a great buzz!!!!

I think the fact that coffee like many things in life is subjective.

I've lived in France, Italy, England, Cyprus, Korea and now the UAE and visited more Eurpoean countries than I can count, and like many Americans the fact that Starbucks is a familiar brand goes a long way sometimes when you're in an unfamiliar country.

To me the best cup of coffee is made in my own home using a French press with Boca Java Palm Beach Passion beans freshly ground, I have found Italian espresso beans here that are also good.

Is Starbucks a good cup of coffe? Personally I'd say yes, great no but good yes, of the American chains I'd say I like Seattles Best or Caribou better but all are acceptable. I also like Lavazza, Segfredo and a few other chains but they are pretty much have their pluses and minuses

Bottom line as it has been pointed out is if you like instant then instant is for you.......... but to catagorize one company or type of coffee over the other is sheer personal taste. Bottom line is enjoy what you like and sod off the rest

Edited by bat123

In my lifetime I have spent a lot of money on Fast Cars, Booze and Women- The rest I squandered

CountdownClockCodes.com

• 1 month later...

I drink an excellent cappuccino - the best I could find in Pattaya - at the inconspicuous coffee shop of MOKADOR hedquarters on Central Road, across from Carrefour, ca 200 m down. I can tell a professionally made cappuccino from the consistent sound from steaming the froth. The cup is still on promotion for 50 baht. They have coffee in all its forms and nothing else. Strongly recommended.

dont like any of that ponsey shit like latta,mocca ect so was pleasently suprised when i visited starbucks for the 1st time ever in patts and got a good old hot brewed coffee!

dont like any of that ponsey shit like latta,mocca ect so was pleasently suprised when i visited starbucks for the 1st time ever in patts and got a good old hot brewed coffee!

mickey d's in royal garden serves a good brewed caffe americano too and cheaper than starbucks. i love a good dbl cappuccino but do i detect a touch of vanilla in starbucks steamed milk in los? why?

Oh Boy, a chance to sound smart!!!

Okay, 1st of all you're all wrong :Laugh1:

and you're also drinking stale coffee no matter

how fresh you believe it to be.

It's amazing how many people never read up on a subject

like coffee even though they may consume it on a daily basis.

The facts are that Fresh Roasted coffee beans are "fresh" for

only a few days after roasting.

I use one of these to roast my own coffee beans.

FRroaster_lg.jpg

Then I use a vacuum brewer to make my coffee.

tca3_dresz.jpg

Very economical after buying a roaster ($90)

and a good vacuum pot ($45)

Green coffee beans from all over the world are available

to the home roaster at around $5.00 a pound.you can

buy them in bulk and get reduced prices. The green beans will

keep for many years without any special containers.

No other coffee I drink can compare to that brewed from freshly

roasted beans.Also it's not so much what region the beans are

from as the freshness.

Do a search for green coffee beans and home coffee roasting

for retailers in whatever country you need, assuming you want

to go down this path.

BTW, this all has nothing to do with a good cup in Asia, I don't

enjoy drinking coffee much over there.

@kw59:

Could you elaborate on "one of these to roast my own coffee beans"? Source, design, specs?

You are right that fresh roast is best, but it has to be done right.

And for extraction I prefer pressure over vacuum because it's faster and I like to control the temperature.

Thanks.