IGNORED

HOMEMADE BACON

happyman

Ive wanted to try to dry cure my own bacon for a while now and finally found some nitrite brine salt already pre mixed, so off to the supermarkets i went, though not able to speak thai it was almost impossible to explain what i wanted, which was a whole loin with the belly still attached. Finally in friendship with a pice of loin joining it to a cut of belly and the manageress making several phone calls the penny dropped with one of the butchers and he shot into the cold room and came out with a huke piece of loin and belly attached, they boned it and charged me 140b kg, which i was happy with.

After finding a forum talking about the nitrite brine salt with various figures for the amount of cure to use, opinions vary from 15g per kilo of pork to 50, so as i like it quite salty i settled on approx 40 grams per kilo of pork, also wanting a strong mix as i was making back bacon and wanted to make sure it cured right through to the middle. So i cut the belly off for my streaky and cut the huge loin in half and gave it all a good rub getting into every crevace put it into a large plastic box with a tight fitting lid and into the fridge. I drained the Liquid daily and turned it daily, after 3 days i cut a piece off the belly and gave it a good rinse sliced it thinly then fried it in a hot pan, WOW best bacon ive ever tasted, a little salty so i soaked the fest of the belly for about 2 hours and now its perfect. The loin i left till yesterday and soaked for 3 hours, then left to dry and i will slice and try tomorrow. The beauty of a dry as opposed to wet cure bacon is when you dry it you dont get all the water coming out that ends up boiling it. But all in all my experiment was a 100% success and i will never buy bacon from a shop again.

All i need now is a meat slicer to cut it thinly and a sausage making machine to try homemade sausages.

Archived