IGNORED

Tech question re: computers

GorGuy RIP

I have been thinking about hotel rooms and temp visitors/joiners... plus security for your laptop.

Most hotel rooms do not have a safe big enough to put a laptop in,

So my thoughts were - use the laptop as a "dumb terminal" and keep your data on a hard drive (that you could fit in a small safe) or on "cloud" or some other remote place - so if your laptop did go walkies while you were asleep one night - no big problem.

Some of the external hard drives now being solid state, and small, no power source needed, just plug into USB port and it works and gets it's power from there.

I do have a lockable + combination suitcase, I could put it in, but I would prefer to keep the laptop around, to use whenever I would like.

What I do not want, is someone to take it and get into my bank details/photos/personal stuff.

What would be your solution?

Buy a smaller laptop for your holidays that fits in a safe ...

If you can't physically secure your Laptop...

1) Make sure your data is backed-up

2) Encrypt the Hard Drive (e.g Bitlocker)

3) Set a strong login password (Include "4 from 4" - Capitals, Lowercase, Numerical & Special Characters/Punctuation) - Doesn't need to be hard to remember (e.g Pa$$w0rd, H0tch!cks etc...) just hard to guess :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

thats why i just bought a $200 tablet

La La Land Bar & Sky Bar Soi 6 Pattaya

You could use something like Truecrypt to encrypt sensitive files. That said there are very few reports of theft from rooms involving bar fined girls.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Hide it in your room before you go out or  Put it under your pillow,

Done that once with my phone under the pillow when i got back drunk, took me 2 days to find it cause i forgot i put it under the pillow and had put it on silent so no noise when tried calling the number

I always just leave mine in the room and have never had any problems and stolen laptops isnt something you see mentioned very often. If you are worried then http://www.truecrypt.org/ is free and easy to use and can be set up to encrypt your hard drive so nobody can start your computer.

I've never had a problem with this, here, in China, in the Phils, or in Malaysia. However, I used to have a cable lock for my laptop so I could chain it to something. As for the data, back that up somewhere anyway! Far more likely that you'll drop your laptop or your hard drive will just die than your guest or hotel staff will lift it.

As for phones BE CAREFUL. I knew better, but I wasn't. Was drunk to the bejesus, thought watching the 4am Beach Road freakshow would be fun... Bye bye Note 2. It is now in the hands of some very slick, very professional ladyboy pickpockets.

Archived