Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Comprehension! Puut dai tae mai khao-jai

Sofa King High

I can't understand half of what I can speak. In other words, I can say much more than I can comprehend. I think this stems from learning Thai on the computer, not speaking much Thai outside of Thailand and the weird way my Thai convo works out ie I speak Thai while she speaks English.

My questions for those of you that learned Thai in Thailand are... Does your ear improve as fast as your mouth and is it common in major cities for Thais to speak English even after you have spoken Thai?

I've got 5 more months of computer learning and then 5 months in Thailand. Really excited about where my language skills will be at this time next year.

I can also speak much more than I can understand.

I believe it is mainly because the majority of Thais make absolutely no effort to speak clearly when conversing with a foreigner.

Also, there may be 5 different ways to say the same thing, but I may only know 2.

In most parts of Thailand there are not many that can speak English, so it is not common for people to reply in English.

It does happen sometimes though, but most often with people who have extremely limited English language skills. It can be annoying at times, especially when they simply speak a load of nonsense, unrelated to the question that you have asked.

Question (in Thai) "Excuse me, can you tell me where the post office is please?"

Answer (in English) "Sit down, stand up, what is my name?"

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Thanks for your reply. I also find Thais don't do the 'baby-talk' as we do with them. I'll be staying in BKK for 5 months and an expat told me it was the worst place in the Kingdom to learn Thai. Said everyone will want to try their English!

everyone will want to try their English!

Simple, find some people who cannot speaK English.

up to you

I can't understand half of what I can speak. In other words, I can say much more than I can comprehend. I think this stems from learning Thai on the computer, not speaking much Thai outside of Thailand and the weird way my Thai convo works out ie I speak Thai while she speaks English.

My questions for those of you that learned Thai in Thailand are... Does your ear improve as fast as your mouth and is it common in major cities for Thais to speak English even after you have spoken Thai?

I've got 5 more months of computer learning and then 5 months in Thailand. Really excited about where my language skills will be at this time next year.

A difference is  that  people living there, learn the (modern) Thai that is widely being used around them. Language courses can be a bit formal and outdated.at times. I have the same problem and am usually only (at best) able to tell what they're talking  about, but with many blanks. On most occasions I blame it on the use of slang, Lao, or Khmer added to my very limited knowledge of the language. It will be very difficult to train your  ears to pick up on subtle changes in pitch or tone when you're not completely immersed with it. I'm guessing Thai TV would be your best bet, not living in Thailand.

I find Thai TV much more difficult to understand because they tend to use "upper class language". In everyday conversation thai ppl dont use a very big vocabulary. However I think its really important to learn how to read and write, otherwise your progress will be limited!

Simple, find some people who cannot speaK English.

What do you mean? Walk around screaming puut ang-khit dai mai hap until someone say mai dai and then start up convo? As per my 2nd post, the point was most people in BKK will want to use their English, they will respond to my Thai in Engish Also, the kids I'll be going to university with will speak English much better than I puut Thai, so it would be natural to use English. Good luck upping your post count! 92 posts and nothing indicative of your ever traveling to Thai.

I'm guessing Thai TV would be your best bet, not living in Thailand.

Interesting idea, not sure I'm at a point in which I'd get much out of that but I do do something similar via LearnThaiPodcast.

I find Thai TV much more difficult to understand because they tend to use "upper class language". In everyday conversation thai ppl dont use a very big vocabulary. However I think its really important to learn how to read and write, otherwise your progress will be limited!

I'm going to work on grammar and vocab for another week or 2 and then start learning written Thai! Learning Thai is tough but in a way fun because its very rewarding for me!

Think the Thais in Bangkok speak a closer standars of Thai to what you are learning on the computer. In Pattaya the girls use a lot of slang, Issan and dialects which makes it hard to understand

So your right in what you say, its the same for the Thais, they learn English but then we speak with dialects, slang. If i speak slow and clear they can understand but if i chat to mate quickly using dialect and slang they havn't a clue what i am saying, which is good sometimes.

Hopefully someone who is pretty fluent can tell you how they cracked conversational Thai,

Plus the tones make it more difficult

I think the Issan dialect is not so much different. If you find a gig or girlfriend from Issan who can not speak english, you progress will be very fast I think (that was the case for me).

I too speak more Thai than I can comprehend when spoken to. When speaking you can prepare a sentence in you own mind, then speak, , using your present vocabulary, of course. Listening and understanding is quite another matter. I have a broadband radio in the UK, and often listen in to Radio Pattaya. This help a lot. I can understand some of the news items, which are interspersed with some pleasant Thai and farang music.

A good hint is to go to a lot of Thai restaurants or seedy massage parlours back home and practice...

Xyleezy

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.

Good news for those that aren't learning the Thai language... Everybody will know English in 2015 automagically! No bashing intended, just giving an update in a language thread. 

http://www.theknowledge.in.th/2012/11/aec-and-english-proficiency-in-thailand/

"AEC is the regional economic integration with the goal to form a single market base. It consists of the ASEAN members and it is to be launched in 2015. When the barriers between countries are opened, the flow of goods, people, services, and capital will lead to the increase in regional competition. There needs to be a common language for AEC members to use for communication. It so happens to be English"

And for those that want to talk about the current low proficiency level of English in the country, the article continues with some good news:

The Ministry of Education had already launched the English Speaking Year 2012 campaign which involves teachers conducting various activities in schools to let students practice speaking English.

Archived