IGNORED

Serious Question about Food Allergy

jolzs84

Ok as mentioned in other posts I am a newbie and soon to be heading to Thailand for my first trip..

I’m anaphylactic to Peanuts, and I also have a phobia about nuts (both human and food) this is just one of the reasons why im straight lol but on a serious note, I am in fact anaphylactic to peanuts… I have 2x eppi pens and will be taking both with me to Thailand.

I guess I want to know where I should go for food really… I don’t think I will try the street carts… but would be good to have a good idea where I could try some Thai food without having to worry I will end up in hospital..

I appreciate your responses :)

Hi jolzs84!

I can understand you worry, but i think i can help you with this problem.

In the most restaurants (not the Street kitchen) are made the Food fresh and you can tell the Waitress or Waiter for no Peanuts. Its important to tell them this, because in many Thai Food are Peanuts. I always order Thaifood not Spicy, and in the normal Restaurants it always work 100%, so i see no Problem for you.

I can recomand some good Restaurants, with good English Speaking Staff and normal Prices.

The Austria Restaurant "Domicil" on the second Road between Soi 7 and Soi 8;

The LenKee Restaurant on the Central Pattaya Road next to Soi Buakaow Cross;

The Pattaya Beer Garden, next to the Entry to the Walking Street behind of the many Bars where the Muay Thai Boxing is, The Restaurant is on the Pier;

The Sailor Bar & Restaurant in Soi 8.

For these 4 Restaurant i can Garanty for Clean Food, Good English Speaken Staff and they made the Food fresh on the Way you want. For sure there are more good Restaurants in Pattaya but these are my Favorites, and you ask for Thaifood not for a Steak.

So enjoy your First Trip to Thailand and if you have more Questons feel free to send me an Email.

Best Wishes

Flo

Hi jolzs84,

I too have a severe peanut and also a fish allergy.  I have been visiting Thailand since 1985 and have about 20 trips under my belt.  But I have NEVER had a problem. I eat street cart food, such as chicken drumsticks, bbq sticks and chicken with rice.   Never had a problem.  Just DON'T drink water.. Stick to beer..

Peanuts DO NOT seem to be a regular or favourite ingredient in Thai food. I don't have an eppi pen and at first I was extremely careful with my food. I cannot recall ever having to refuse a dish I ordered because it contained peanuts.

In the Shopping Malls such as the new Central Festival and Mikes  there are several very good food courts. The food is usually set up on a plate to show the dish. Also some Restaurant menu's have the ingredients for the dishes listed, BUT it won't hurt to ask to make sure a particular dish has no nuts in it.

Of course have the eppi pen with you at all times BUT I BET you will never need it..

Cheers and have a GREAT TRIP....

A Wombat... Eats roots, shoots and leaves.

Hi jolzs84!

I can understand you worry, but i think i can help you with this problem.

In the most restaurants (not the Street kitchen) are made the Food fresh and you can tell the Waitress or Waiter for no Peanuts. Its important to tell them this, because in many Thai Food are Peanuts. I always order Thaifood not Spicy, and in the normal Restaurants it always work 100%, so i see no Problem for you.

I can recomand some good Restaurants, with good English Speaking Staff and normal Prices.

The Austria Restaurant "Domicil" on the second Road between Soi 7 and Soi 8;

The LenKee Restaurant on the Central Pattaya Road next to Soi Buakaow Cross;

The Pattaya Beer Garden, next to the Entry to the Walking Street behind of the many Bars where the Muay Thai Boxing is, The Restaurant is on the Pier;

The Sailor Bar & Restaurant in Soi 8.

For these 4 Restaurant i can Garanty for Clean Food, Good English Speaken Staff and they made the Food fresh on the Way you want. For sure there are more good Restaurants in Pattaya but these are my Favorites, and you ask for Thaifood not for a Steak.

So enjoy your First Trip to Thailand and if you have more Questons feel free to send me an Email.

Best Wishes

Flo

Hi jolzs84,

I too have a severe peanut and also a fish allergy.  I have been visiting Thailand since 1985 and have about 20 trips under my belt.  But I have NEVER had a problem. I eat street cart food, such as chicken drumsticks, bbq sticks and chicken with rice.   Never had a problem.  Just DON'T drink water.. Stick to beer..

Peanuts DO NOT seem to be a regular or favourite ingredient in Thai food. I don't have an eppi pen and at first I was extremely careful with my food. I cannot recall ever having to refuse a dish I ordered because it contained peanuts.

In the Shopping Malls such as the new Central Festival and Mikes  there are several very good food courts. The food is usually set up on a plate to show the dish. Also some Restaurant menu's have the ingredients for the dishes listed, BUT it won't hurt to ask to make sure a particular dish has no nuts in it.

Of course have the eppi pen with you at all times BUT I BET you will never need it..

Cheers and have a GREAT TRIP....

Hey guys

thanks heaps, fantastic feedback, really appreciate the restaruant advise big flo :)and john thanks heaps, really put me at ease hearing from a fellow nutter :D cant wait for the trip :D

thanks fellas :D

They use cashews a lot in Thai food.....can't remember ever having peanuts in local food.

You'll see women carrying baskets of peanuts still in the kernels for sale all over the place though.

With an allergy as serious as yours I think I'd like a 'buddy' who knew what to do medically speaking if the worst happened.

can't remember ever having peanuts in local food.

They use peanuts in Pad Thai (unless you ask for it without of course)

just be careful, I didn't know I was allergic to snappers till last year when I got a very bad allergy/food poisoning in Koh Samui from it, had to stay 2 nights in hospital. Most of Thai food has peanuts, you cold try sizzler in central festival mall which has an amazing salad bar with lots of good steaks and grilled chicken/fish, also ala turk (spelling?) same mall has delicious Turkish food. I know it's not Thai but those are two places that for sure won't cook with peanuts.

:ThumbUp6:

• 3 weeks later...

Why not get a business card made up in Thai saying no food with nuts in it to show the restaurant when u order

Archived