IGNORED

Are the Hotels exempt during Songkran??

Carraig

My second trip in April coincides with Songkran, not really my cup of tea, but fair enough its there.

I know what to expect on the streets, especially during the day, and I accept this.

I hope to stay at the Areca again, mainly so I can chill by the pool during the day (and nurse the inevitable hangovers) but Im just wondering if Im likely to get pelted by some clown while Im lying there snoozing!! anyone know what to expect??

Hi,

Never had anybody pour water over me on hotel grounds. But when you are on the street, or on a bahtbus you get targeted continously. It's very hot in April so often the water is welcome, but sometimes people put ice in the water and it can be unpleasant.

Edited by wacmedia

No man is a hero to his valet.

Hi,

Never had anybody pour water over me on hotel grounds. But when you are on the street, or on a bahtbus you get targeted continously. It's very hot in April so often the water is welcome, but sometimes people put ice in the water and it can be unpleasant.

Ice, yes, and sometimes prickly powder, sometimes dye, etc. Traffic grinds to a halt as the water wars take over the streets, I once took two hours to get from Sukhumvit to Walking Street on Pattaya Tai on the 19th. We're usually there in April, and we head up to the village a day or two before Songkran and don't come back until the 20th.

My second trip in April coincides with Songkran, not really my cup of tea, but fair enough its there.

I know what to expect on the streets, especially during the day, and I accept this.

I hope to stay at the Areca again, mainly so I can chill by the pool during the day (and nurse the inevitable hangovers) but Im just wondering if Im likely to get pelted by some clown while Im lying there snoozing!! anyone know what to expect??

Good question Carraig! we are also staying at the Areca Lodge through Songkran and I am hopeful of peace and quiet by the pool... so I promise not to get you if you promise not to get me :Grin_Jump1: As for the streets, dont want to sound miserable but I could do without dirty water in my eyes, even considering taking some swimming goggles to help avoid this hehe.

You should be ok but then you have to deal with arsehole falangs who think it is funny to wet you in the evening. Only in Pattaya everywhere else things grind to a halt after sundown.

yeah it get's a bit old fast...all the water.

The best you can do is play for a day or 2 then do the best to enjoy a bad situation....don't lose your cool, just keep walking :LMFAO:

You will be Ok if you are in a bigger hotel with grounds but you still have to go out daily to do stuff. Pattaya seems to do Songkrahn much longer than any other place in Thailand, I have seen it go on for weeks :)

Here is a quick list of the things I do to prepare myself, as I have been to quite a few; not in any order.....

take 3 pairs of shoes, at least a dozen pairs of socks.

Keep your passport at your hotel and buy a cheap wallet to keep a few thou baht in. Those snappy plastic bags work great for money, documents or cigarettes.

I take a waterproof backpack with a towel,socks and a change of clothes.

Wear sunnies so you don't get any dodgey water in you eyes, as much as you can.

Bring eardrops for infections like above. Use every night before bed.

If you lose your cool in front of a few people( farang and thai) when getting wet you are sure to get it worse than if you smile and briskly walk by.

Never take any expensive electrical gear with you on your walk.

(I have an older top of the range Digi Sonycam that I take out. I bought a waterproof bag that goes over it with a clear piece for the lense. I have filmed some great footage around the place, I guess it would also work for Dig Cameras)

any electrical gear should have those silica sachets in the case when you store it around this time as everything gets bloody wet.

****The most important rule is never ride/hire a bike around this time, or even a car to drive. It is a crazy time of the year and many Thais die on the roads during this holiday. Stick to walking or baht buses!!!!!! Keep your eyes open when you approach roads to walk across, cars and bikes can be blinded from the water and swerve into you.

In my experience you can get away with daily stuff if you keep away from the first 2 streets , do your stuff early in the morning if you have to go out. The Thais out then will have have a bit more respect and not drench you like the drunken farangs later in the afternoon. Watch out for young Thais riding the back of utes with big drums of water.

Hey...it all sounds like a hassle but I still enjoy doing it after so many times, it is a rare event that to me is a lot of fun. I have a bloody ball doing it because it is one of the craziest things I have seen. :)

If all else fails get out of town after a few days, I guarantee that Pattaya has the longest Songkrahn in Thailand. Many places only celebrate for a few days.

Just be smart about it and make the best of it

Cheers

Jason

Here is a quick list of the things I do to prepare myself,

Hi,

I wore a Swatch which though plastic steamed up for a few days(works again now) so the last time I wore a divers watch which came through the festivities wet but still working.

No man is a hero to his valet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just curious about this . . .

is anyone wearing a mask? I'm worried about the water getting in mouth and eyes.

All over now thank god,

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

This year I was there for the first time during Songkran and I loved it! Next year I will be back to celebrate Songkran.